Ex Stracey Arms

RayandCarole

Does sound a bit odd. How did anyone local get to all the former restaurants that have been on the site without turning in and out. I'm sure they didn't survive as long as they did just on the passing boat traffic. Unless of course the argument is that far more people would use it under the proposed plans, than ever did when it was a pub or a diner.

It could just be that over the last 10 years the traffic on that road has increased significantly, therefore anyone applying for a change of use at this stage might find resistance. The local council could also be using this as another way of publicising the fact that the Acle straight needs to be dualled. Personally I feel that whatever change of use is granted, the exterior of the building should remain in keeping with it's location. As a road user, blink and you are past it, as a river user you see things for a lot longer. I wouldn't want the gaudy neon arches of Maccy D lighting the horizon for miles around, and I would feel similar about any other potential out of character adornments.

• Like 2

We have had painted elephants, gorillas and hippos in Norwich. Crabs and lobsters in Cromer and Sheringham I think they look good and bring a smile to peoples faces. I am sure that there are plenty of folk that think the colour scheme of some boats that ply the Broads are pretty tacky and out of place. But I think it is a great use what has become a worthless site.

• Like 3

Got to be honest and say Im not sure its the best use for the site in my opinion.

Apart from the obvious traffic concerns on what is a notorious stretch of road for accidents as it is im not sure it is an appropriate site to be used as proposed.

It is clear that various businesses have struggled to survive on the site but Id sooner see it used for something that would be of benefit to the passing river trade as in my opinion facilities are somewhat lacking in the area.

• Like 6

The sites far from worthless it has just been unimaginativly used/developed for the last few years. Like the Broadshaven with a little imagination and and a bit of investment both sites have the potential to be a proper asset to the Broads tourist industry and to make a reasonable profit for the operators.

Dave

In the early 80's or maybe late 70's  it was hard to get moored there, as it was kid friendly and kept both parents and kids alike entertained in the evenings. It has to be that since those days it has been neglected, and each new management team have thought it will come back to what it was.

Well it wont without hard work, imaginative marketing and serious updating. But it could do in the right hands. It is one of very few places on the broads that has that amount of moorings. But alas looks like it is lost to the broads now.

Charlie

• Like 2

Like the Broadshaven with a little imagination and and a bit of investment both sites have the potential to be a proper asset to the Broads tourist industry and to make a reasonable profit for the operators.

Dave

I've heard a rumour that this unloved establishment is to be converted into a Mosque.....

I've heard a rumour that this unloved establishment is to be converted into a Mosque.....

Hindu temple I thought? A very very different proposition indeed.

Many Hindu traditions are very water centric especially around rivers. So I can see this would probably be a really good location for a hindu temple. It would also be pretty cool to have a hindu temple on the broads (IMHO).

I have no idea what the concerns over traffic might be so my only concerns would be on the lines of:

That the site would be very unlikely to ever be repurposed again so this should not be looked at as a similar change of use as say switching from pub to restaurant, it should be looked at as something done forever.

Safety of any bathers - some steps could easily be inset from the main river.

Loss of moorings - I suspect the moorings would actually mostly stay given that it's intended as a place for cultural exchange...

Barbecues could lead to some unhappy 'cultural exchanges'...

• Like 2

Hindu temple I thought? A very very different proposition indeed.

Many Hindu traditions are very water centric especially around rivers. So I can see this would probably be a really good location for a hindu temple. It would also be pretty cool to have a hindu temple on the broads (IMHO).

I have no idea what the concerns over traffic might be so my only concerns would be on the lines of:

That the site would be very unlikely to ever be repurposed again so this should not be looked at as a similar change of use as say switching from pub to restaurant, it should be looked at as something done forever.

Safety of any bathers - some steps could easily be inset from the main river.

Loss of moorings - I suspect the moorings would actually mostly stay given that it's intended as a place for cultural exchange...

Barbecues could lead to some unhappy 'cultural exchanges'...

Having traveled past many a Hindu temple in West London, the only problems i could see are the "offerings" to the river.. i.e. saris getting wrapped around the prop! (Happens in Brum and Leicester too) Our confusion was hilarious the first time we passed through the floating coconut shells at Diwali... I do think the whole "sacred river" thing is pretty cool tho.. I used to do lighting for a living so i tend to think Diwali is awesome - a festival to celebrate light - coolio!!

I totally fail to see the problem with barbies?

A sighn on the road "SLOW - concealed entrance" or summat?

As with all this cultural diversity stuff, the key seems to be COMMUNICATION. The more communication, the less issues.. imho...

So long as the departed don't bloat up and float down with the tide to Yarmouth!  No, not likely, I hope!

Having attended a Hindu wedding, enjoyed the celebration and all that went with it, I rather like the idea, I do hope that it goes ahead.

Hindu festivals:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Hindu_festivals

I note that many of our local dialect words, according to George Borrow, are Sanskrit in origin. An interesting research project,

• Like 2

I totally fail to see the problem with barbies?

Cows are sacred to Hindus.

Many hindus are vegetarian and this is generally the ideal.

As with all religions things do vary but the no eating beef thing is in the modern era completely universal (there are arguments that this was not historically the case).

So someone mooring up and flipping a couple of burgers on the barbie on or next to the temple grounds would be difficult to tolerate. Cooking other meats would likely be more tolerable but would still be a less than ideal situation.

I read that they will be moving from a venue they have outgrown in Great Yarmouth so using a site like the Stracey could well make sense but I still do think the road layout and now reading the further comments here the cultural differences could well prove to be an issue. Imagine if a few boats of lads on a stag weekend (or even hens!) turn up for the night with bbq's fishing rods cans of Stella etc etc. If both can exist in harmony without any restrictions for either, something workable and sensible can be done with the road layout then of course it could be the sensible use of the site in my opinion but again I do still wish something that would be of benefit to the river users could be viable

I read that they will be moving from a venue they have outgrown in Great Yarmouth so using a site like the Stracey could well make sense but I still do think the road layout and now reading the further comments here the cultural differences could well prove to be an issue. Imagine if a few boats of lads on a stag weekend (or even hens!) turn up for the night with bbq's fishing rods cans of Stella etc etc. If both can exist in harmony without any restrictions for either, something workable and sensible can be done with the road layout then of course it could be the sensible use of the site in my opinion but again I do still wish something that would be of benefit to the river users could be viable

Surely these would not be the only moorings around the system that would be 'no fishing' and 'no barbecues'.

More than likely Warp but the rules dont always stop (some) people doing things they shouldnt!

How about turning the Stracey into a detention centre for Visitors to the broads who do infact turn out to be lager swilling boat crashing bbq'ing idiots hell bent on causing mayhem and destruction whom once caught can have their vessel tied up outside and they can spend whats left of their boating holiday looking at it from the tiny window of a padded cell (ensuite obviously). I even think any Hindu folk who know the broads themselves could well think that is a much better idea for the site

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Marina,

There is a thread on it here somewhere.

To be honest, i`m NOT in favour of it at all.  I think that this should remain a facility for the use by ALL the public, and not be converted into ANYTHING, no matter what it is, that is solely for the benefit and use of a single group.  If there IS a need for a religious temple for ANY faith, it should be in the boundries of a town which would be more accessable to those that use it. Being out in the middle of the marshes is hardly accessable, except for those with vehicular transport.

• Like 1