Ex Stracey Arms

RayandCarole

I think the group already has a venue in Great Yarmouth and ive read they have out grown these premises.

Im not in favour of it being turned into anything other than something that would be of benefit to the river users either but in these times who is going to try and run a business there reliant on passing trade when others have ended up closing.

Unless it was something like a Mcdonalds with service stop petrol station etc im not sure what else there is that could work, unfortunately theres been a new Mcdonalds built at Brundall so thats not likely either.

The link below is worth reading, after all the talk on.Net  :nosey:  :nosey:  :nosey: .

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/former_broads_pub_poised_to_become_religious_temple_1_4146956?action=login

If I have missed the link on here and all the chat I am sorry  :bow  :bow  :bow .

Regards

Marina   :Stinky

No probs, Marina. I've merged yours with this.  :wave

• 4 weeks later...

Having watched the early local Anglia News,  I just caught the end of this being spoken about.  I assume that the Temple has been approved.   The Stracey will be altered to reflect a temple like appearance.    That last sentence was not said but I have read that on the internet.   

I just hope they keep the moorings.

May be someone actually saw the whole article.

Edited by Hylander

But the problem is the public don't use it, that is why it continues to fail. The success of this site was built on coach trade when Yarmouth was a booming destination. 

The Broads are a six month, at best, prospect. Three months of true volume. The average family with children just can not afford pub prices, especially having hired a decent boat.

Like the day out at the sea coach trip, the traditional regional industries, coal, cotton, shipyards, the pub trade is shaking it's self out. Those with a good offering will survive, the average will go under.

Good luck to the Temple, it gives the site an inspirational future.

• Like 1

Just on the point of the moorings. When we were on these at the mill  in June we had breakfast at the Mill shop  and we were talking the to  the owners and the matter of the temple application etc came up  along with their own time and experiences since  coming to Stracey mill  many years ago  - they were looking to move on . During the course of the conversation it became apparent that they owned the moorings so I assume they only once they had sold up  would  the moorings  come under question and even then the new owners would then have them?.  

Having just spent a month in Bali, which is almost all Hindu, I can imagine the ammount of colour and atmosphere that will emerge in the place.

It's got to be better than the "Ghost Town" look of the existing restaurant, although I have no idea of what would happen on the moorings as water plays a major part of their ceremonies.

I hope everything works out and and that everyone benefits.

• Like 1

The BA planning portal has a letter from the agent and a location map showing the building location in Red and the parcel of land owned by the applicant in Blue. Land Registry Title NK151624 This fully supports all previous enquiries that the moorings are owned by the current owners of the restaurant. I myself made tentative enquiries of the previous owner when the premises were being used as a Spanish restaurant and at that time the moorings were available for sale as the Spanish restaurant had no desire to operate or maintain them. The current owners of the shop and tearooms down the road have made claims of ownership of the moorings for a number of years and charged for anyone mooring there. In recent times the signs have changed to state that the moorings are managed, as opposed to owned by the shop.

The shop and tearooms have been up for sale for some time. Anyone considering this property would do well to have their solicitor check and double check the particulars of sale.

• Like 1

That's not good news, Keith, in particular with what Eric says above:

"Having just spent a month in Bali, which is almost all Hindu....................                                                                        ............although I have no idea of what would happen on the moorings as water plays a major part of their ceremonies".

Let's hope someone (The BA?) can persuade them to keep the moorings public.

Hi JM

Waterside properties for sale, Right Move, page 10 and it's on for £615.000

I think it's been for sale for quite some time, I only hope that when it does change hands, it's not turned into a temple or a drive thru McDonalds or whatever, been mooring there since as far as I can remember, love the place

Grace

Edited by Gracie

My only worry is that they might be under the impression they can carry out a full Hindu Cremation on the bank side, throwing the remains into the river as they do in India.

Which would be " interesting" if the Three Rivers Race is using that as the turning point at the time.

Many years ago I arrived in my somewhat slow sailing cruiser and sailed round the mark and back up river. Behind me all I could here was the hiss of the contents charcoal barbeques being thrown in to the river as the faster boats had been having a party on the bank while having to wait for the tide to change.

Peter,

The details can be found here,

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/commercial-property-for-sale/property-48754801.html
it is the shop, tearooms and house. Despite the fact that it appears to include the mill in the first section of verbage, later on it states the mill is owned
by the windmill trust, not the vendor.

I note the price has been reduced by £35k and I think for a while it was withdrawn from the market, possibly whilst they sorted out their planning issue. They have now applied for and received retrospective planning permission for alterations that were made before planning was sought. Previous listing can be found here,

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/commercial-property-for-sale/property-28168854.html?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=sharing&utm_campaign=commercialbuying

Jaws,

The mooring in that stretch is actually broken up into three sections.

1. The bit outside and owned by the shop and tearooms.

2. The section between section 1 and The old Stracey Arms pub. The owners of the shop claim they have purchased this, but I really have no idea.

3. The largest section which is outside The old Stacey Arms pub. At various times the shop owners have claimed to own this section, including a number of years back when they tried to charge me to moor there and told me blatantly they had purchased it, and how much they had supposedly paid. Until very recently when the property went to auction and was purchased by the people who are turning it into a Hindu temple this section of moorings was owned by the freeholder, a business man from Birmingham and they were available for purchase by separate negotiation. I have no idea if they still belong to him, or went to auction this year along with the restaurant. The planning application for the change of use would appear to suggest they belong to the temple. 

As the people who own the shop have had the place on the market for a couple of years and dropped the price, I would be surprised if they have invested more in the business this year by buying the last, but largest section of the moorings.

Edited by kfurbank
  • Like 1

One of the many reasons why if I had an interest in buying the property I would ensure my solicitor went through every thing with a fine tooth comb. Caveat Emptor!! I try and give everyone the benefit of the doubt and take people as I find them. When you have been blatantly lied to face to face it taints your opinion of a person.

• Like 1

Ok , so we the above appears to confirm that the shop does own some of the moorings however not all of them, ie section 1.

Section 2: Claimed by the Shop owners but under question by some, so still open to debate on here at least, however nevertheless the shop are charging for the use thereof...   

Section 3 Does anyone know of the temple planners intentions for this section of  mooring, however in meantime if  it is within their planning application then what justification does the Shop have for continuing  to charge and if they claim to own this section would they not be able to offer  proof (or not as the case may be)  if challenged and  hence put any dispute to bed ?

All in all a confusing situation for something that I had previously considered  pretty clear cut and had no issue handing  over my fee .   perhaps the BA could make a statement of clarity for users ? 

Mark,

Land ownership or the right to manage or charge for moorings is not really within the BA jurisdiction. Given that until the start of this year the shop didn't own the moorings outside the pub and even now I'm reasonably confident the owners of the temple own this section I would moor along that stretch and if challenged, refuse to pay unless you are provided with proof by the shop of ownership or a right to manage the mooring. Off course once the temple is fully up and running they may chose to let the shop formally manage that stretch of mooring, or they may restrict or stop mooring along there.

It is interesting to note that the planning approval contains a number of caveats including the fact that the change of use is only temporary for three years to allow an assessment to be carried out on the impact on the road and traffic at that junction. No mention has been made on the use or maintenance of the moorings.