PLEASE HELP

JennyMorgan

Signed. Why should I be deprived of parts of my county which I hold dear not only for myself but for the future generation by those of wealth and power who by their selfish greed deny others which they consider their own without right or justification.

• Like 4

I have signed.

It would help if you put some info in the original post instead of just a link, I'm sure I'm not the only one that finds posts containing just a link irritating and very rarely bother following them whatever is in the subject line, you got lucky this time.

From the Chairman of the Norfolk & Suffolk Boating Association, NSBA, membership of which I heartily recommend:

The Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) has awarded Natural England (NE) just under £2 million pounds for a project to improve water quality in Hoveton Great Broad (HGB) whose ecological condition has been neglected for over a century.

The HLF grant was awarded despite the opposition of the NSBA and others. The detailed reasons for the NSBA's opposition were communicated to the HLF and NE on a number of occasions, alas without success. NE told HLF that opposition to the project was on the part of ‘a small vocal minority'. As you will have seen in the NSBA Newsletter and elsewhere, the objections to the public funding of the HGB project via HLF funding have the following basis.

HGB was closed to public use in around 1890 by the landowner. Up till then it had been open to navigation. There remains a question mark over this action because the Broad was and remains tidal, a fact admitted by NE. Tidal waters should be open to navigation. This large expenditure of public money for private benefit resulted in calls for access to the Broad to be opened up. The only access which the project will provide will be a privately run, guided, commercial canoe trail along drainage dykes in the nearby marshes at limited times. The proposed trail will culminate in a short boardwalk and viewing platform on the bank of HGB. This falls far short of adequate public access by boat to HGB. The NSBA considers that the expenditure of just under £2 million of public money merits greater opportunity for the public to enjoy the benefits of their investment.

An online petition has been started to urge the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport to apply pressure to the HLF to require full public access from the river as a pre-condition to HLF funding:

http://thegreenbook.us10.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=58e5e311cee15697eff61d572&id=65151d62bf&e=3af50450dd

Many NSBA members have already signed the petition. If you have not done so, it would be enormously helpful if you would. It takes less than a minute.

Kind regards

Richard Card
Chairman, NSBA

• Like 2

Radio Norfolk are intending to broadcast a story on the early show tomorrow (6.30 - 9 am - Friday 31 July) about the Hoveton Great Broad restoration project. They visited the Broad & interviewed  of the some of the petitioners yesterday and have an interview booked with Natural England today.