Rag and stick saves lifeboat a call out

Boaters

Two points, one off topic! Why, on such a wonderfully sunny day, do so many MAFI's leave their canopies up? Seconly the bloke cut himself free, destroying someone else's property. Pity he didn't look where he was going in the first place. Hopefully the fisherman will identify the boat & send him the bill.

Only once, Roy and Diane, when we lost the engine with overheating just down river of the old railway caissons near Haddiscoe Railway Station.

I threw the mud-plug over but this only turned us stern-on with the strong Spring Ebb... I had all sorts of terrible visions of lost stern gear when we eventually hit something......  :cry

Along came a hire-boat and the Helm asked if I needed help. He then proceeded to expertly come alongside (far better than I'd ever hope to accomplish) when his good lady and I managed to secure Friday Girl to his boat. He then turned us through 180 degrees just before St Olaves bridge and put us alongside at the Bell's moorings. :clap :clap :clap

He's a member of the NBN and may wish to comment himself!  :wave

• Like 2

Two points, one off topic! Why, on such a wonderfully sunny day, do so many MAFI's leave their canopies up? Seconly the bloke cut himself free, destroying someone else's property. Pity he didn't look where he was going in the first place. Hopefully the fisherman will identify the boat & send him the bill.

OUCH! Was it a good Saturday night out, Peter?  cheersbar

To be fair, Peter not all crab/lobster pots are well marked, in fact I've seen 'em with just an old plastic bottle attached to the line. They're not easy to see into Sun.

Best advice is to go far offshore and avoid 'em all!  :Stinky

Sound advice is that. If there is one pot then there will be others nearby. 

• Like 1

Hi Peter,

We tend to always have the canopy down when ever we are on the move, one on the first things I do on arriving at the boat is taking off the canvas cover that goes over the windscreen (I stow this until we leave the boat).

We see loads of boats on the river with their canopies up and screens covers on, it must be so dark inside these boats.

We have not had to offer assistance to any other boats other than allowing boats to moor to us.

We would however help any boat that was in trouble, the same can be said of most Broad users.

Regards

Alan

• Like 2

Ok, I'll confess. I have read the posts about people and Breydon Water etc., so I know exactly what most people will think of my brains, lack of common sense and many other things. My only excuse is that I/we acted in innocent ignorance. When I was 18, I borrowed a dinghy and seagull motor. I camped at Burgh Castle Marina. Friends joined me and we decided to go out on the dinghy. We set off not intending to travel far, and I think one of us had about a shilling with them (Yes-it was that long ago). Well, my friends decided we should head for Great Yarmouth and we did. However when we got into the harbour we decided to turn back. The boat turned ok but we continued towards the sea. One friend (6ft tall and quite strong took to the oars and we still continued seawards. A coastguard appeared on the dock, appeared to be jumping up and down and pointing. We continued seawards obviously not by choice. Then, fortunately for us, an incoming fishing boat (remember them?) came from the sea and towed us back to safety. We then had to wait for the tide to turn before our return journey. Between us we had enoough money for a bag of chips between us. Despite what the fishermen called us, my mummy and daddy still loved me. Unfortunately one of the friends became my brother in law, he told my future wife, and she has never let me anywhere near Yarmouth in a boat since. We were very grateful to the fishermen, who almost certainly saved teh RNLI as call out. We couldn't give them anything but in recognition have always supported RNLI since.

I know I was all the things you are thinking, sometimes we make mistakes when we are in an environment that we don't undderstand.

• Like 2

John, you highlight, in a delightful way, why we need to devour our new hobby and its environment. As kids we all did things that we shouldn't really have done, and learned as we did it. But people who buy big toys, sports cruiser being an example, owe it to themselves, as well as other users, to embrace the detail that surrounds it. The information is there, for those who want it.

Canopys are a pain in the proberbale ,trouble with them you got store them someware and on sports boats like that targa27 theresnot a lot of options.On the  th sea you get a lot of spray at speed keeping

Canopys on keeps salt away from your electronics and moor inportantly away from your gt!!!

Have just had a blast across Oulton Broad, at all of 5 mph but in a low freeboard dory, wind lifting the spray, force 5 gusting 6, it was quite exhilarating, as well as being damp! Enjoying the elements is all part of boating, not just the spray but also the sun. 

Surely electronics that can't survive a bit of spray should have no place on a boat? G & Ts should be drunk before being drowned!

Each to their own but when we had a motor cruiser it was always cover down unless the rain was absolutely bucketing down. Go with Alan on this one.

• Like 1

Over the years of helming rescue boats at Horning sailing club I have rescued many more tourists in motor boats than sailing boats. Stearing gear and motor failure mostly.

I've also rescued a grandmother and several life jacket wearing small children in a large dinghy it ran out of fuel!

A young teenage girl in a hire lugsail, she couldnt sail back into the wind to her mother on the motorboat.

And in the Falklands! Rescued a trainee windsurfer by towing him back behind a wayfarer dinghy, he was again unable to sail into the wind. Oh, I was single handed sailing the Wayfarer. We were on an inland lake.

Talking of rescue boats I once roared off to the rescue of a boat that I thought was on fire. Dark humour really and a bit sad. Clouds of what I thought was smoke and the crew of the dayboat were all waving their arms in the air. Turned out that they were trying to spread the ashes of a dearly departed. Only problem was that they were throwing them over the windward side, against the wind, and it was windy, and all the ashes were being blown back at them. To add to the indignity they were all, as you would expect, dressed in black, only the black was fast turning grey! I quickly backed off with a hasty apology, trying not to smile to much!

• Like 1