Busy at Wroxham Bridge,

BroadScot

Rumour has it Iain, they all crossed the big pond this morning from Beccles, they were moored up minding their own business when an armada of private boats cruised in (right looking reprobates apparently) anyway, this lot proceeded to put marquees up, light BBQ's and started drinking beer until some ungodly hour. Honestly these owners really should know better  :norty:  :naughty:

Hope they all got there safely and are having a good time  :wave

Grace

• Like 6

Rumour has it Iain, they all crossed the big pond this morning from Beccles, they were moored up minding their own business when an armada of private boats cruised in (right looking reprobates apparently) anyway, this lot proceeded to put marquees up, light BBQ's and started drinking beer until some ungodly hour. Honestly these owners really should know better  :norty:  :naughty:

Hope they all got there safely and are having a good time  :wave

Grace

Really Grace? Surely not :norty:  I have met the Admiral, and finer gent you could not be more happier to meet. I am sure he will keep most of them in order, not sure about that Alex bloke, rumour has it he carries more drink aboard than Tescos stock in Beccles! :naughty:  I just hope that young lad who helms Orca doesn't get too Brahms inclined to Lizt! :naughty:

I am not jealous, honest! :angel:  Have fun you lovely folks! :wave  and take care.

cheers Iain.

• Like 4

Looking at pics taken at the bridge area today its busy. I also noted several hire boats going through without a pilot. Norty norty peeps. :norty:

cheers Iain

attachicon.gif122316-large.jpg

Hi IaIn,

not all hire fleets insist on you using the bridge pilot at Wroxham. I know Bridgecraft did`nt last time we hired from them, nor do Maffetts or Pacifics. I don`t know about any others, because we have`nt hired hired from many different ones in recent years.

Come to think of it, i`ve never used the Wroxham bridge pilot service.

Hi Neil,

Nope two were Richos, one was HW. If that is the case with the ones you mentioned, I will be having a rethink when booking.for next year. I do miss not taking the boat through myself. 

cheers Iain.

• 2 weeks later...

The way some people jump off boats, or get thrown off when the boat rams the quay heading during mooring, I would have thought there's a good chance of landing on a car. That's without people letting Rover off the boat to do a tiddle up the wheels, or the children that are glad to be back on land and running around, or playing ball. Not a place I would want my car parked for even an hour.

Sadly most of the boatyards do seem to charge for parking although I think that is gradually changing. And they charge you more if you want undercover parking. Unfortunately you are a captive audience so to speak as you're not likely to choose to go by public transport just because they are going to charge you to park. 

And I did watch a little dog yesterday morning on the webcam, jumping on and off one of the boats moored there, completely on its own, having a good wander around and making use of one of the mooring posts - mention of the webcam puts me almost back on topic!! 

Sadly most of the boatyards do seem to charge for parking

Almost all the yards charge for parking so what's the beef with Barnes, again?

Councils make you pay to use their carparks, so what's the difference? You 

can come back to the car and find a deep dent in your door and the council

takes no responsibility. So you won't use council carparks either then Iain?

The reason for them asking you to leave your keys is in case there's a serious

problem and they could then move your car away from the incident, say one

of them catching fire. No keys, your car goes up in flames too. Not ideal when

you are on holiday.

Despite what most of you think about Barnes, they are not the rogues some

would suggest. As with all yards, you will get incidents at some point through

the season due to the hire turnover of cars on the site. It happens.

It seems that all the negative items are plastered on here but the positive posts

are, as always, few and far between albeit happening more often than you would

realise.

We have moored with Barnes for some years now so we get to know most of

what goes on. Matthew and Daniel are two of the most hard working people I

know on the Broads and are very approachable so long as you don't go in with 

both barrels blazing. If you have concerns about the safety of your car whilst

away on your holiday, talk to them. You may be surprised.

As for those parked by the side of the river, there are spare slots elsewhere.

Matt, the cars parked near where you were are usually those having short breaks

from Friday to Monday so that they don't get boxed in and then staff having to

move other customers cars to release them. 

• Like 2