Boat Horn Advice.

Fed up with shouting so have decided to fit a horn to my little boat. The plan is to use the two pin deck socket that I use for my spotlight as and when required, I thought I could mount a "trumpet" style horn on the deck rail using the post that the lamp goes in and rig a plug to go into the socket. Then using the switch for the lamp I can operate the horn with out additional wires etc. And if required I unplug and fit the lamp.

My question is...... is the theory sound? and can I get a 12v horn that does not require a compressor as well in the style described?

Suggestions please.

S.

Stuart! to answer your question! yes that set up would work, I had that set up on one of my boats, and it allowed me to plug the horn in during the day or my portable spot light for night cruising, most marine horns don't use a compressor, but you are looking at around £40.00 for the single trumpet one, or £20..00 for the snail type, for the amount of times your likely to use it I'm with the other two, go for the portable air horn. only £12.60 from Norfolk Marine, though I must admit I've always had twin trumpet horns on all my boats, it's great fun when you give a good blast going under Wroxham, it's surprising how high some people standing on the Bridge watching can jump pirate , not that I'd ever do that of course :norty: , it's probably illegal and your the Fuzz, but you'll never take me alive, :swordpir:

Frank,,,

• Like 1

Orca has a 160db truck air horn and even at times that's ignored.. I am looking for louder! 

The normal 12v boat horns are useless.. go for a air horn... (Although it would probably start to spoil the place if too many do it.. but at the moment I'm being selfish although only use it if someones about to hit me and at that point I want them hear me and get the out of my way :) ) cheers

The great benefit of a canister horn be it pump up or precharged is that it can be pointed at your desired target.

Fixed horns will often be pointing in the wrong direction and direction makes a lot of difference to their effectiveness.

• Like 2

If you don't mind waiting about 10-14 days for them to arrive, you need not spend a fortune on air horns. These are rated at 135dB and come in at under £25.00.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00LCQ5ZRE

post-534-0-74714600-1438181681_thumb.jpg

Or, you might like to go the siren/PA speaker route - at 50w of power these things are loud likely over 200dB

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00KB2CN84

post-534-0-72390200-1438181949_thumb.jpg

That's similar to what we have (although we only have one), the pumps not the best quality though (although it works.. well!) and the chroming is already peeling from the trumpet so they will probably need replacing in a couple of years.. I'd love to find a decent version though but these are worth trying.

Stuart, cant you find one that "fell off the back of a police car"? :River Police  :River Police

The PA option would be too tempting to be naughty I am afraid.

I have a really crappy snail type one that works but sounds like a toy car!! Might try those air horns though for £25 cant go wrong even if they do need replacing after a few years.

Any idea what sort of current they take?

Mark,

I hated having to use one, it meant calling in top class amateur scratch golfers off the course. It did however save me a long treck, as pending which course the play was on it saved me a mile and half plus treck!

cheers Iain.

• Like 1

Ours is, I think, original so 40 years old.  The installation certainly looks un-fiddled with.  Decent sized compressor, air hose and twin trumpets.  Just have to blast the spiders out now and again.  Brilliant.

Yes, Mr Hireboat, you are coming towards me on the wrong side of a narrow river on full ebb, and I will let you know!

:)