Lovely Six days on Sweet Freedom

Just spent six days on Sweet Freedom. Service was excellent. Boat very good with fuel. Freedom Yard to Burgh Castle, Womack, Potters, Under the bridge and all round, back under the Bridge next day, Womack (Lunham Butcher excellent), Acle, Reedham, Bargate Broad, Brundall Gardens 24hr, Brammerton, Freedom Yard. All this for 27 litres using the tides.

:):)

• Like 12

Sweet Freedom always sounds such a ‘cute’ name and the boat looks lovely too. 

Certainly did a lot of cruising for not much fuel – the last time I did a bit of a ‘north south’ trip in a week like Brinks Royale last July, that took in some of the locations you visited I used over 80 litres.

• Like 1

Andy can confirm I am sure, but that boat looks like the old Sabre Princess and before that Aston Broadsword? We had it for a fortnight in 2002, it ran on fresh air as we only used 56 litres in a fortnight, covering the whole system in very hot weather. That boat goes through THAT bridge I would guess more often than nought.

cheers Iain.

Thanks for the comments. 

Sweet is a nice boat. Aston Broadsword as was (as has been pointed out). 

Also as pointed out, she is a Seamaster 813 with a custom layout that makes her really nice and airy (which is totally unlike the normal three-compartment of these vessels). 

The boat really does very well on fuel. I took her to Oulton Broad yesterday, side windows down, cover up (for sun shade) and really enjoyed the trip. 

Sabre .. I heard Sabre.. What's a Sabre princess? lol

And Andy, you are meant to be flat out working, mid season, not out and about on your own boats enjoying yourself.. geez ;)

I think we've seen sweet freedom and it looks very nice with a nice fresh paint job :) 

cheers

Good to read your feedback. My concern with that design has always been the unusually narrow beam but of course I forgot its a great way of giving yourself a good shot at fitting under Potter! The 'forbidden' zone above the bridge is just fantastic so any boat that gets there more often is well worth considering.

• Like 2

Sabre .. I heard Sabre.. What's a Sabre princess? lol

And Andy, you are meant to be flat out working, mid season, not out and about on your own boats enjoying yourself.. geez ;)

I think we've seen sweet freedom and it looks very nice with a nice fresh paint job :)

cheers

Yeah Andy, quit playing on the water and crack on!  :hardhat:

• Like 1

Just spent six days on Sweet Freedom. Service was excellent. Boat very good with fuel. Freedom Yard to Burgh Castle, Womack, Potters, Under the bridge and all round, back under the Bridge next day, Womack (Lunham Butcher excellent), Acle, Reedham, Bargate Broad, Brundall Gardens 24hr, Brammerton, Freedom Yard. All this for 27 litres using the tides.

:) :)

Just goes to prove that you can`t beat that personal touch from the small indipendant yards. 

That`s why if i hire (which we will still do occaisionaly, we will always use Maffetts, Pacific, or Freedom.  The other advantage of hiring from Freedom is  (subject to availability?) you can book as many or as few nights as you want.

Oops. Moored at Reedham Ferry right now and in the pub enjoying the Humpty Dumpty ales. However, I really need some sympathy as I need to be up early to get back to the yard. Have never spent a night on Sweet as she doesn't fit a family of five, but one.....

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Being such a small boat, she`s bound to be economical. It`s worth remembering that most of the bigger boats hve the same engines as Sweet Freedom, but are geared and propped differently for pushing considerably more weight.  As for solo cruising, it`s a doddle, i used to moor up Maffetts original Alpha 42 on my own, as everybody else was afraid of falling in. Just make sure all your fwd lines are layed out to the aft cockpit, and on the side you`re going to moor on.

• Like 2

Hired her many times single handed when she was in her previous guise as Aston Broadsword.

As you say, as long as you have the forward lines brought back alongside the cockpit she is dead easy to manage on your own.  Plus with that large aft steering position stern on mooring is a doddle.

If I get a chance to get on the Broads again I may well consder hiring her from Andy.

• Like 2