Wednesday Already!

ranworthbreeze

Our allocation on Ranworth Breeze and Wednesday already.

Wednesday already, we have been on the Broads since arriving around 6.30 on Sunday evening. We had a good run down, 4 hours including a stop for a coffee and walk around. Sunday evening in the Yare, Tan had been longing for their steak, ale & mushroom pie, fish for me, back to the boat for coffee and homemade cheesecake, early to bed.

Monday was a washout so we went to Norwich to pick up a few things from B&Q in order to do some work on the boat. We had to go to Morrisons at Beccles to cash in our £15 of vouchers (these had to be redeemed this week) we also had two standard £5.00 vouchers. Shopping done we decided to go back to Brundall via the Reedham Ferry, needless to say still raining. By the time we arrived at the ferry it was turned 1.00pm so we would call into the pub for lunch. The ferry operator was thinking about closing the ferry down because of the height of the tide, this was giving some issues with some cars bottoming and he thought he would have to put sandbags across the road to protect the pub from flooding.

Back on board and a light evening meal, a few games of Rummikub, Tan managed to win a game and was only one behind, watched a DVD and bed.

Tuesday morning we went to the showers at the Marina building and then off to Brian Wards for some items. Back for breakfast and outside to start on the jobs I had planed to do on the boat. I started rubbing down the port aft window which had oxidation under the powder coating, the plan was to rub it down and paint it with smooth black Hammerite as a stopgap. Rubbed down and finished with wet & dry and given one coat after masking up.

Onto the next job, the teak on the bathing platform, someone had damaged this at the start of the season, but needless to say once damaged someone was bound to catch it again. Phil kindly went down to the boat and made a tracing of the damaged plank and posted this to me, for this I made an oversized machined section to bring down to the boat. Once the damaged was removed, I started making the new section fit, a fair amount of planning was required to get it down to the thickness required and trimming to fit the existing boards. One it was almost down to size thickness wise and now fully shaped to fit, it was fixed into place using marine adhesive, and this was also used for the caulking.

Back to work on the window, for another coat.

A late lunch and then we set off for Loddon, Tan had the helm for most of the journey including all the way up the Chet. We moored overnight at the staithe and helped a couple of new crews to moor up. At the other side of us was a crew that had hired one of the Brooms Captain 4’s as a taster on the Broads for 4 days.

I removed the fender socks that we have over the bathing platform and replaced both socks whist working up an appetite, a glass of wine was in order.

We had an evening meal in the Swan, which was good although the portion size could have been an adult’s, although Tan’s was a starter. The San Miguel on draft went down so well, I was obliged to sample another to make sure it was still good.

We noticed on the way to the Swan that notices were in the windows of the Kings Arms that they are longer providing food but you are welcomed to bring in your own.

Back to the boat and a couple of more games of Rummikub, Tan won them both so is one game in hand, I will have to pull my socks up; pity I am not wearing them, coffee and bed.

Wednesday normally I am up around 6.00am but we stayed in bed again till almost 8.00am, breakfast and a couple of crosswords and Tan went shopping whilst I sanded down the section of teak I fitted into the bathing platform. On Tan’s return we put down the canopy and left Loddon in sunshine, it went very dull and we had a vast dark cloud above us all the way to the end of the Chet, we proceeded on our journey to Bramerton , It started bucketing down by the Sugar Factory, so Tan had to helm whilst I put the canopy up around her, from then on we had to helm with the front screen unzipped down.

Tan was at the helm shortly afterwards and did not see a couple of fishermen in a boat a mile or so out of Brundall, she was close and apologises for any upset caused, I would note that profanity directed towards a woman is not on in my book no matter the cause, we all make mistakes at times.

Just after Brundall the rain stopped for a while and we managed to moor up near to an electric post. Lunch was done in the oven, jacket potatoes, sausages and beans.

After lunch Tan washed up and started reading whilst I recovered a couple of side fenders.

Currently not raining and a few people are sitting together on the green.

More later, connections permitting.

Regards

Alan   

Edited by ranworthbreeze
Copy & paste function working today
  • Like 7

An interesting blog, Alan. Are you the only owner who spends precious holiday time on maintenance?

(And don't whoever services the boat for you fix the minor snags too?).

Anyway, enjoy the rest of your time aboard!   cheersbar

Hi John,

A few of the other owners do work on the boat, one of the owners and his brother have rebuilt our spare bow thruster, I am sure you know the costs of these, they have also machined the prop shaft after it was stainless welded to take out the wear. In the case of the prop it was removed from the boat by Broom's but they could not get the work done before the start of the season.

Any work we can do on the boat reduces all of the owners costs. If we do have issues and an owner needs help in the form of services we have a number of service providers we can call upon.

I do however quite like working on the boat.

Hopefully there is an attached picture of the bathing platform repair, my work on this must have saved us a small fortune.

Regards

Alan

DSC_0468.JPG

• Like 2

Alan,

I will be having a look at your handy work next time I pass. Have a couple of damaged planks I ought to get replaced and if you enjoy it so much maybe you'd like to have some more practice?:naughty::naughty: Being used most weeks I would expect it gets quite a bit a hammering however careful people are.

Glad to hear you made it down the Chet - must get the nerves up to try it again - Did you travel at high water?

• Like 1

Alan, you have it on strict instruction from me to put your feet up with a glass of something nice and relax for goodness sake. I don't know anything about repairing Boats but that platform looks pretty damn good to me :clapalthough I'm sure Jaws would have done it better :naughty: enjoy the rest of your time afloat

Grace

• Like 1

Alan,

I will be having a look at your handy work next time I pass. Have a couple of damaged planks I ought to get replaced and if you enjoy it so much maybe you'd like to have some more practice?:naughty::naughty: Being used most weeks I would expect it gets quite a bit a hammering however careful people are.

Glad to hear you made it down the Chet - must get the nerves up to try it again - Did you travel at high water?

Hi Mark,

There is plenty of water under the boat now on the Chet since they finished dredging earlier this season.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1