Heating

Hi all.

I'm thinking of using my 18.5ft boat in the winter but with no heating it wouldn't be feasible.

Does anyone know of a cheap, effective and safe way of heating a small cabin?

I could use a fan heater but that would require shore power and I don't want to have to rely on that.

Regards.

Mark.

Whatever you do and whatever advise you get DO NOT try and heat with gas or fire.. it's a small space and I suspect your ventilation is so low you seriously would run the risk of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.  

A small tube heater connected to a 240v shore connection is probably the only way to heat a small space like that.. (or just put more jumpers on ;) )   

• Like 3

Mark, You probably need to ask others, I've only just moved north but reading Howards (NorfolkNog's) posts, it seems out of season there are plenty of moorings. I'm not sure where electric posts are though, I guess; Horning, Potter, Ranworth only.. Hopefully others can advise.  

Just be careful to with them fan heaters as they can get hot. They also obviously drink lots of electric.  I'm a bit of a worrier with heating and hot things on boats.

A oil filled radiator is what we use as an overnight heater in a cabin and I find that safe enough to leave on, they also don't drink lots of electric.

We should be doing some out of season crusing so give us a wave if you see us. cheers 

It really depends how you personally feel - you could go with a gas heating system - after all, up until the late 80's and 90's this was the main stay of heating on hire boats.  Of course, they do require adequate ventilation, and even when you've got that sorted the other bi-product is moisture that burning the gas causes.

Personally, if it was me I would have a portable gas heater -  but not to use it for an evening to keep warm - just to take the deep chill off in a morning or when you needed to warm up a little. 

511qrJkD6dL._SY450_.jpg  Buy link

Otherwise, good thick duvet, blankets and hot water bottles will suffice over night and be surprisingly warm.  The issue, is once you emerge from your cocoon in winter you could well find actual ice on the inside of your cabin windows but once dressed and with some localized heat to warm your hands and boat a little you should feel 'fighting fit'.

That is my take, others will likely think such cause them far too much cause for concern to 'risk it' but then I have a 1980's gas fire in my bedroom at home which would cause many alarm, but I am still here and the Co2 alarm has never gone off.  So take precautions, and do what you find the best idea I guess.

Sorry Robin, those are outdoor heaters, the writing on top tells you so including clear instructions:  "Do not use inside". I wouldn't recommend the use of these inside an enclosed space as you say it may just being over cautious but I don't think it's worth the risk.

You can get catalytic heaters (http://www.direct-chandlery.com/partnumber.asp?pnid=435726&source=googlebase&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=CMzG7emCz8kCFSsEwwodpooDiw) but these need to installed as per BSC etc which may make things complex if you don't have a gas supply as it's a whole new world for them to find fault with (sorry I mean test). (Robin I think you will find it was these types of things on older boats.. I certainly remember firing these up in the mornings). 

• Like 1

If purchasing a Fan Heater, make sure its one with a built in thermostat. They have a high setting but 1000 watt or less should be more than ample. A bit like this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lloytron-F2003WH-British-Standard-Approved/dp/B000WIYILW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449674253&sr=8-1&keywords=fan+heate

Also Dimplex do a Greenhouse low wattage Heater with thermostat but being Dimplex it is dearer. http://www.dimplex.co.uk/products/domestic_heating/miscellaneous_heating/mph/index.htm

Also this web site .... http://www.clasohlson.com/uk/b/Electrical/Home-climate-control-&-Heating/Fan-heaters

Hope this helps.

xmas6Iain.

• Like 1

I do appreciate the risks - but there must be many thousands of people using these in small tents, caravans and boats and living to tell the tale.  It is far from perfect I agree, and it is a risk - but that is up to someone to make the call, and I think with a cabin door open or a couple of windows open with someone sat in front of this to warm up would not kill you.

If it was me I would rather that than nothing but then I would also have a relevant gas alarm as a fail safe - which should also be considered a must have just from using a stove/oven on board a boat.  

As for fan heaters - I'd go ceramic every time. They usually are also more ruggedly built since do not have a thin wire element and are said to be more efficient too.

5 minutes ago, LondonRascal said:

As for fan heaters - I'd go ceramic every time. They usually are also more ruggedly built since do not have a thin wire element and are said to be more efficient too.

Having repaired more heaters than I care to remember Robin, I will agree the solid element fan is more robust but not as strong with heat as a spiral element.

You pays your money and takes your choice. The greenhouse one -which is a solid element, I have installed in many Greenhouses and wooden garden Sheds. It has proved cheap to run and very reliable.

xmas6Iain.

Hello there I spend lots of time on the river in the winter in fact I am out every weekend rain,wind,snow it just dose not bother me it is the best time to be out IMHO but you do need to keep dry , worm , and well fed , as many of you know for the last few years we have had a wood burning stove FANTASTIC but about 4 years ago I had a beautiful Freeman 23 we were out all the time but no wood burner , so I did use these little portable gas fires they are great , they have all the safety features electric start and one re-fill would last for a age , you only need to run them at the lowest setting an in a small cabin you will be toasty toasty I NEVER shut the cabin doors till I went to bed because you would be to hot and gives the heater lots of ventilation so there you go hope this helps ....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PORTABLE-CAMPING-GAS-HEATER-FISHING-OUTDOOR-INDOOR-4-BUTANE-GAS-BOTTLES-/381393592856?hash=item58ccd46218:g:CbwAAOSwyQtVqA0P

EVEN CHEAPER HERE GOOD LUCK .....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, macroft1 said:

Thanks for all your comments.

I'm toying with the idea of a miniature wood burner. Obvious risks involved but no monoxide to worry about.

Mark.

Who told you that wood burners don't produce carbon monoxide? The burning of any carbon based fuel produces this gas. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, FreedomBoatingHols said:

Try this

Be aware that fan heaters will not produce lasting heat. Once it's off, there is no latency. Oil filled rad heaters might be better. 

Good point Andy, but, OFRs do cost more to run. I removed many from all electric homes when Gas became available for Combi Boilers.

I still think Alan's idea is best of all, wear more layers of clothes!! :party:

xmas6Iain.

• Like 1

Sorry but any portable gas appliance on any movable structure is a NONO a gust of wind and ?????, candles should be treated as the same.

If heating is needed shore power or fixed internal is the only way to go, no jury rigged system as per happened in the Lake District.

If you wonder why I am so against these, I have a friend who used  a PGA in his caravan and luckily his son cried and threw up at 9:00pm and woke the rest of them, who all were then treated for CO poisoning.

Please a £1000 heating system is expensive BUT how much do you value you and your family.

I am really sorry to rant on about this, but then it has been said wrapping well is just as good.

Please stay safe.

paul

• Like 4

Similar here too.. Was dreaming away one night only to be awoken by some really annoying alarm sound :( Crawled out of bed only to be confronted by a haze..

The log burner chimney has somehow blocked and the CO alarm was going off... Everyone thrown outside windows doors opened.. Phrew that was a close one...

Don't play with fire!! If you do at least get a CO alarm..

• Like 1

another here, I had a gas fire in my old van, and I was away from the van and some friends had the heater on and fell asleep, I came back and opened the door to a strong smell of gas, the cylinder had run out and the fire had gone out, but there was still some gas left in the bottle. (this was 20 odd years back)

Check fleabay for webasto/eberspacher units, 24v ones go cheaper and you can always use a second battery, a portable outboard tank for the diesel (or parafin works well), I ran a 24v webasto airtop2000 off a laptop adaptor via 12v on my old norman 25, cost me £120 for the heater unit that had been removed from an old ambulance, always warm as toast.

Use a proper skin fitting for exhaust on these units.

But a top class one fitted by you is still going to be cheaper than a funeral.

I like that approach....

2 hours ago, LeoMagill said:

I would have thought that a woodburner on a norman 18.5 would be way too hot and would be a job to get far enough away from the hull or any other combustable materials.

You're probably right. More clothes and winter sleeping bags seems the way to go.

We've stayed in tents in freezing conditions quite comfortably.

cheers all.

Mark.

Before now on a few occasions I have had rag-n-sticks berthed alongside 'B.A' (Stern moored and the like) in the winter months and have noticed they have not had any form of heating, they are wrapped up like Michelin men.  So if there is shore power available I have plugged into said shore power, then ran a 240v extension lead from 'B.A' into said Rag-n-stick and lent them our 240v 2kw fan heater.  There have been some grateful crews lucky enough to be next to us on a few occasions.  So Mark - same offer applies to you if you see us out and about with 'B.A' and I'm onboard

Edit - to say my method is safe and the cheapest system you will come across, albeit not very permanent and open to the whims of lady luck

Griff

• Like 1