Are You Average?

JennyMorgan

I was so pleased when I got my first mobile phone 20 odd years ago, and realised what a bad decision it was soon after when it rang for the first time, as I realised my ability to escape from the world and his wife was now gone forever. 

One of the reasons I enjoy the Broads so much, is that 90% of it seems to have no phone coverage. The ability to escape restored!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I was against ever getting a mobile phone of any sorts for the same fact that I would always reachable, not a problem back in my RN days.  Then I fought against getting a home based P/C - had to give in to that one due to our kids schooling.  Then was against ever getting an iphone, just phone calls and txts on a standard Nokia was good enough for me, what did I want data on a phone for?  Now of course had a iphone for ages and would not be without it

'GriffTile' relies on my mobile phone far more than the landline (Yes we still have one) and I have been known to run out of data too ( As happened earlier this month updating the NBN on Indy's travels)  I have no idea how many txts I send / receive each month or how many minutes I use either, I'm sure my grandson could tell me though and he is only 4 x months old!

I do seem to be sending / receiving a fair few emails via the phone and the whatsapp thing seems to be getting steadily busier too

I don't have a tablet / ipad of any kind and nor do I want one - That's a step too far for me.

My favourite form of comms though has to be morse code, both audio and visual, I miss using it.  However admittedly it is no good for sending pictures / films between family friends - I'll give you that one

In the days before mobile phones when driving up / down to Donny from Pompy and the like we used to keep in touch with other matelots in other cars using headlamps / rear fog lights using morse.  It was effective too

Griff

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, marshman said:

Ok - lets be controversial! As if......!!

I certainly could not be without my smart phone, although I am not up to "average" - quite!! How else do you keep up with your kids and grandkids? To be fair they tend to use Snapchat et all whereas I tend to use WhatsApp and messaging and I guess I get on average between 5/10 emails a day, all of which need attending to. The ones that don't, usually go to Junk anyway.

Now I don't profess to be up with technology at all, but some of you lot must be positively prehistoric - do your children /grandkids never contact you???

I am surprised that so many express surprise at that article - is it just the others don't want to stick their hand up?? How many of you still have a landline - how many of your children have such a thing??  Even in Norfolk??

No Children therefore no Grandchildren, if I had I wouldn't be able to afford boating...

• Haha 2

Before I had a Panasonic Brick of course I used to be on call and pagers were the latest thing of the day.

I have had a phone for far to many years, but still tend to use it as a phone, as already said I can' t be bothered with texts, I prefer to email or if I require an answer I actually talk to people.

Maybe it is an age thing but looking around, seeing the twitchy zombies walking in the street or constantly picking up their phone in public places such as pubs etc, with that expression on their faces; that nobody wants to talk to me, I am unloved.

Yes phones great for business use, but lets keep it real.

Regards

Alan

• Like 2

This is one time I'm glad to be below average, hardly ever text, prefer to call.

When I first got a mobile it was only switched on when I needed to make a call, didn't want to be contacted by anyone, anytime.

That said, now I wouldn't be without mine, phones became smart, well they're mini computers really. In one little device we have a camera, music player, internet radio, tv, sat nav. Damn useful things.