All Our Yesterdays

addicted

I suspect that a lot of you like me had a childhood that  ran through the late forties and fifties. I grew up in North London. At weekends we always did something and Sundays often meant a trip to the coast. Mum would prepare the picnic and we'd all pile into the car and head for Southend, Clacton or Frinton usually. On a really special day though and if we managed to get away early enough it was  Wells next the Sea.  Heaven! in those days you could drive the cars (there was usually about 3 carloads as friends would join us as well) into the pine forest that was at the end of the  town I believe, out would come the tables and chairs and primus stove as to not have a cup of freshly made tea was unthinkable it was easily achieved as the sun always shone then didn't it? Then we'd all go off across the beach onto "cockle island" and spend  hours filling sacks with  gathered cockles which we'd finish  up having top give to the rowing boat man whose services  (because the tide had come in while we were busy gleaning) were needed to get us back to the beach.  When I visited Wells in recent years  I was so disappointed to find it all so changed. the pine forest has completely gone. I think it was where  there is now a large tarmac car park  Not quite  the same ambience as a pine forest.

Recently, we went to Gorleston for the first time and I do believe it is in a time warp. A seaside resort straight out of the fifties I doubt that anything has changed since it became a resort - . whenever that was.

Further to the subject of good places to eat, the terrace restaurant at the cliff hotel is a joy. Set  high into the cliff, overlooking the beach and   with views out to sea it is sheltered from extremes of weather by  glass screens all round and a  sliding roof that can be put into place if necessary. the food is excellent and the view to die for.  If you have taken the dog for a day out  and the hotel is not an option, then a beachside café further along the beach is just the place. Food marvellous, very reasonably priced and it's even  licenced! what's not to like?

Regards,

Carole

• Like 5

For me, the Broads were a narrow escape! Dad wanted to come, Mum was a non-swimmer and terrified of water, so vetoed it.

i guess it would have been stressful, no playing in dinghies while dad fished, so bored aboard would have been the likely resilt, Dad and bro' fishing, Mum knitting and me....well there were always Arthur Ransome books, so maybe it would have been OK after all.

We did book a boat to bring Dad away to the Broads in later life but he pulled out in case his dog didn't manage which was sad.

We had instead, wonderful seaside holidays in Wales every year, well done the parents as money was tight!

• Like 1

My holidays away from home as a young un were spent either out at the Old Roan near Liverpool, or Meliden, near Prestatyn. It took a very long time to travel to both places by coach or train. 

My trouble n strife introduced me to Broads holidays as soon as we were married, she sure got that holiday right!

I have travelled round Europe, but, by a country mile, The Broads will always be top of my charts for all the memories of boiling hot days - yes we do get them - being rocked about at Norwich YS on the morning of the "Hurricane" sitting outside a pub watching one of the famous Broads skies develope. Waking up to the mist sitting on the river, the smell of cooking bacon from a boat moored next to you, and realising we had none left on board!

I could go on and on, yes and on. But, I don't need too, you all know and have experienced similar, many times!

Have a lovely May holiday weekend all.

cheersIain

• Like 6

I have loved boats and the water from a very early age. From the little hire boats on the ''park pond'' to the little fishing boats in the local harbour. I was 19 years old when 4 of us decided to have a go on the broads. Glistening Stream was the boat and I have never looked back since then. I fell in love with the broads and still love it as much to this day. LONG MAY IT CONTINUE.

• Like 7

we had free train (and boat) travel as dad worked for BR ferries, so anywhere with a station or port was favorite- with the weather some parts are having, it reminds me of an easter trip to Holland (night ferry both ways) in gale force winds with the ships stabilisers non functional (I slept through this part) and coming back to 6 foot snowdrifts everywhere.

Like Eric I have always loved Boats and water from a very early age. Most holidays were spent on the Broads, mum and dad sometimes took us on beach holidays to places like Clacton on Sea, Walton on the Naze, Dymchurch, just simple bucket and spade holidays in caravans and tents. Since being an adult I have been abroad a few times, although very nice as were the beach holidays, being on the Broads with mum and dad, and now with my own family, not forgetting the infamous hen party boat lol, nothing comes close to being afloat in Broadland

Iain, never, never, ever run out of bacon on a Boat, I would kill for less lol

Happy bank holiday weekend, everyone :wave

Grace

• Like 6

Since the age of 10, I have rarely not had a holiday in Norfolk, mostly on the Broads.We even lived in a (deep breath....National Park once, The Lake District) yet still came to the Broads (not a ......) for holidays. For 30 years we have been fortunate to own (quiite old and not posh) boats and  with the help of friends and boatyards, we have enjoyed so many holidays.

• Like 4

The Broads has always been a destination of choice for me from a very early age. I have lived in the Lake District (twice) Dartmoor and Exmoor but always return to the Broads. The parents started coming in in 1927 mainly on land but from the late twenties and thirties by boat.

The link if it works is to a Broadland Memories YouTube video which taken in 1939 includes my parents my uncle and aunt one set of grand parents and another couple I am not sure about. 

Mother by Peter Pan from Percivals and  10 years later me in the foreground on Fairwind from Windboats, with various family and friends.

BKB 1940 Peter Pan.jpeg

April 1950 Fairwind.jpeg

• Like 5

On 28/04/2016 at 3:24 PM, addicted said:

I suspect that a lot of you like me had a childhood that  ran through the late forties and fifties. I grew up in North London. At weekends we always did something and Sundays often meant a trip to the coast. Mum would prepare the picnic and we'd all pile into the car and head for Southend, Clacton or Frinton usually. On a really special day though and if we managed to get away early enough it was  Wells next the Sea.  Heaven! in those days you could drive the cars (there was usually about 3 carloads as friends would join us as well) into the pine forest that was at the end of the  town I believe, out would come the tables and chairs and primus stove as to not have a cup of freshly made tea was unthinkable it was easily achieved as the sun always shone then didn't it? Then we'd all go off across the beach onto "cockle island" and spend  hours filling sacks with  gathered cockles which we'd finish  up having top give to the rowing boat man whose services  (because the tide had come in while we were busy gleaning) were needed to get us back to the beach.  When I visited Wells in recent years  I was so disappointed to find it all so changed. the pine forest has completely gone. I think it was where  there is now a large tarmac car park  Not quite  the same ambience as a pine forest.

Recently, we went to Gorleston for the first time and I do believe it is in a time warp. A seaside resort straight out of the fifties I doubt that anything has changed since it became a resort - . whenever that was.

Further to the subject of good places to eat, the terrace restaurant at the cliff hotel is a joy. Set  high into the cliff, overlooking the beach and   with views out to sea it is sheltered from extremes of weather by  glass screens all round and a  sliding roof that can be put into place if necessary. the food is excellent and the view to die for.  If you have taken the dog for a day out  and the hotel is not an option, then a beachside café further along the beach is just the place. Food marvellous, very reasonably priced and it's even  licenced! what's not to like?

Regards,

Carole

The Corsican pines still run along the beach from West Wells to Holkham and beyond. Are you sure it was not down Lady Anne Drive that you used to go? The plantation is wider there. If you look on a 1:25000 os map the pine woods are clearly shown.

My parents were wealthy people so as a young boy I was fortunate to have my holidays, of a least a week in the Far East. We always hired a wonderful property overlooking sand and sea.

I was very lucky.

I still enjoy Happisburgh and Hemsby and not forgetting California.

Andrew

• Like 3

Who wants California when you've got Clacton :naughty: Seriously, my parents made sure we had holidays every year, some of my favourite memories are of sitting at The Berney or The Pleasure Boat (when we could get under that bridge) having a packet of crisps and real beer shandies, packing up at the end of the day on the beach at Dymchurch, going back to the caravan to wash up for dinner at the pub, simple things like that. We try to give our kids the same memories, we always give them a choice, lucky for us it's a boat on the Broads every time, if they chose somewhere different I may have to resort to blackmail or ultimatums, something like "If you don't choose the Broads, you WON'T have a holiday" lol . I don't mind hotels for one or two nights, I just don't think you can really get those special memories from a day at the pool then back to the hotel room, it's the great outdoors for us every time.

Grace

• Like 2

from memory the only holiday we ever had where we stayed away was one to Loch Lomond, I can still remember the porridge at the B&B - with salt, other than that we had one 3 day holiday in Holland night ferries both ways so 1 whole day in holland, other than that it was lots of day trips on the trains or train then ferry to France

• Like 1

I was also very fortunate. We had two weeks every year between Studland and Swanage and another two weeks either at Menton or Diano Marina. By car, of course in the 50s. Except sometimes we flew the car on the Bristol Frieghter services from Lydd to Le Touquet.

On a poignant note I can just remember crosses by the side of the road near Arras. Buried near where they fell before being taken to the War Cemeteries. I must have been about four, so it made an impression.

On ‎01‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 10:04 AM, ChrisB said:

The Corsican pines still run along the beach from West Wells to Holkham and beyond. Are you sure it was not down Lady Anne Drive that you used to go? The plantation is wider there. If you look on a 1:25000 os map the pine woods are clearly shown.

No I'm not sure of anything actually, it was more than 60 years ago. I just know that when I went back many years later and went in what I thought was the right  direction it had all changed mightily. Are the trees you are talking about adjacent to the beach? If so, you may well be right. I really don't know,

regards,

Carole

Yes, they back right onto the beach. You walk through them in many places to reach the beach.

Next time you are in the area travel past Wells for about a mile and a half, opp. The entrance to Holkham Hall and the Victoria Inn turn right down Lady Anne Drive. I think it could be where you used to go.

On 01/05/2016 at 0:42 PM, Gracie said:

Who wants California when you've got Clacton :naughty: 

Grace

Hi Grace

Clacton! Where's that? Now California sounds more impressive. The sea, golden sands, and rain. Situated between Caistor and Great Yarmouth. People were always amazed when I was a little boy I told them where I had been for my holiday. Little did they know.

Andrew

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Wussername said:

Hi Grace

Clacton! Where's that? Now California sounds more impressive. The sea, golden sands, and rain. Situated between Caistor and Great Yarmouth. People were always amazed when I was a little boy I told them where I had been for my holiday. Little did they know.

Andrew

Wheres Clacton wheres Clacton lets just give it its correct name shall we Clacton on Sea .... Beirut end has always had the best sandy beaches for miles and miles.... I rest my case

• Like 2

Clacton on Sea is in Essex, the beach is sandy and beautiful on a hot sunny day, very similar to the California one near Great Yarmouth and not California in the United States lol, Andrew :norty: 

Charlie, I love it there, intend going back as soon as I can, when I do I will most definitely give you a shout :kiss

Grace

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gracie said:

Clacton on Sea is in Essex, the beach is sandy and beautiful on a hot sunny day, very similar to the California one near Great Yarmouth and not California in the United States lol, Andrew :norty: 

Charlie, I love it there, intend going back as soon as I can, when I do I will most definitely give you a shout :kiss

Grace

Only live 150yds from beach Grace darlin so any time your most welcome

• Like 1

First time I ever flew was in a DE Haviland Rapide from Lydd (grass runway) to Le Touqet, then we  took fathers XK 140 with 4 of us in to to Switzerland for 2 weeks holiday. Fabulous I still remember it, I have to say with four up it was cosy. It had fitted luggage to fit the shape of the boot. We always flew in Bristol Freighters amazing planes

Mothers parents lived at Saltwood near Hythe Kent.

We also used to holiday at Studland at the Knoll House Hotel. Still there when I last went past it 20 years ago.

XK 140 at Slaybrook.jpeg

img117.jpg

img116.jpg

• Like 2

Know it well. By coincidence my father also had Jaguars a MK VII, MKV111 and then he changed to MK II from about 1960 his last was a G reg so 68.

The XKs were beautiful, I love the badge on the rear listing all the Le Mans victories.

When I was a lad,  we used to dream of a holiday.  

Having six children holidays never happened,  we was poor,  but we was 'appy' :party:

The first proper holiday was a week in Butins at Clacton,  just mum and four youngest,  I still bear the mental scars .. 

At age 14 a proper holiday for me and my twin brother, our girl friends and my little sister plus mum and dad,  on the Norfolk Broads,  in Juliette 5.  :Stinky

My then girlfriend and now wife of nearly 38 years will be back to our second home Friday for her 55th birthday. 

The Broads are a bit addictive. 

• Like 6

about 3 years running when I was a teen I was sent on 'camps' with our sunday school - these invariably took place in private schools- hired out for the summer with all the sports that were available (some even had .22 ranges), archery, golf, and day trips out to various local attractions.

It was good fun and I can remember arriving home after 2 weeks with jaw ache from smiling so much.

• Like 3

Hello All,

Gracie, you brought back memories-Dymchurch! For many years we were lucky enough to spend a week there [and if my memory is in gear, it was always sunny]. Four of us in a caravan the size of a phone-box, with a single gas lamp. Been trying to think of the name of the caravan park, but only Naishs' comes to mind, but think that was a place down in the New Forest [another phone-box!]. This was back in the 50's, and we were the lucky ones, going to the seaside, as most families round our way didn't have a holiday and those that did went hop-picking. One everlasting memory l have of Dymchurch was one year, walking past the police station, there in the window, sitting on a little stand was a pair of false teeth. Did someone loose them while swimming perhaps? Whatever the reason, being very small, those teeth played on my mind for a long time. lt was the first time l'd ever seen a set and didn't even know they existed. Round our way, if the grown ups lost any teeth, they didn't get replaced, the gaps just got wider!!  Happy days.

• Like 3