Berney Arms For Sale !!!

imtamping2

1 minute ago, JennyMorgan said:

Hopefully there is no reserve thus allowing the pub to be sold at a realistic price thus allowing it to flourish as a commercial concern. 

Now that would be good news all round.

9 minutes ago, imtamping2 said:

Now that would be good news all round.

dream on........that pubs been screwed by idoitict arsoles for years to carry on it will have to be a labour of love for a ecentric person with loads of cash, personally i think they should turn it into a very hip night club with a ferry from yarmouth yatch t staation  and offer services from Thieland:naughty:

• Like 1

With change of useage to a house the price is about right considering the amount of work needed. 

If you have to run it as a pub £80K top wack. It would need to be cash. If anyone is idiot enough to loan on the place the borrower would be dead before they pulled the first pint.

They could run the place say like Amsterdam, they already have the wind mill, and the waterway,  just need a few "coffee shops", and a few flower sellers!

One slight flaw... How to get people there.

Since Spirit of Breydon is only used in office hours, it could double up as a trip boat, might need a few more punters than that though...

Boat trips from Yarmouth, Reedham, St.Olaves could create a real gold mine, most of the year... Huge investment though. Something different.

What does it take to keep a place like that as it was in the 60's and later, it must have been viable then.

13 hours ago, diesel falcon said:

dream on........that pubs been screwed by idoitict arsoles for years to carry on it will have to be a labour of love for a ecentric person with loads of cash, personally i think they should turn it into a very hip night club with a ferry from yarmouth yatch t staation  and offer services from Thieland:naughty:

When you buying it then :naughty:

If this property is still available in a couple of months' time I'll consider it. It strikes me that as the footfall is so low the margin per punter needs to be high for the business to be viable. It would be important to go in at the top end of the market with a serious chef and properly kept ales and so on. This takes investment, of course, but is an obvious approach which doesn't seem to have been tried. Trains, walking, sailing, the position and history are all very romantic. That's its USP and needs to be strengthened. What a schtick! So exclusive you can't find it let alone get to it! ChrisB's 80k looks about right. Any thoughts?

• Like 1

The trouble with the place is Nov. Dec. Jan. Feb. And Mar. To be honest many years April as well. Many years with our infamous NEers there is no warm weather in exposed Norfolk until May. Who will venture out on the marshes in mid winter?

Other out of the way pubs like Tan Hill have roads and the Pennine Way to help out but everything is against the Berney.

What it needs is a very wealthy, balmy fellow who fancies his own pub. Maybe a relusive aged ex rock star who does not care if it turns a profit or not, can ride out the winters and be a Bon Vivant in high summer.

• Like 1

The SOB is not exactly a one off, apparently she was built for another customer through, the sale fell through, she then sat in the shed for a year or two and was then modified for the Broads Authority. The hull moldings are well proven, the yard well able, but she does seem to spend a great deal of her time out of service. As for being unfit for purpose, perhaps not entirely true but I would agree that she was an illogical choice of craft for her stated duties. Re-engined with something better suited to slower speeds I suspect that she would make an excellent ferry, probably expensive though.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BroadScot said:

Aye it must be! One of these days it wil carry out the duties is was bought for !:naughty:

She can't get under the bridges though Iain. :huh: we did spot her on Saturday when we went over the bridge.. full speed not a hire boat in sight.. I so want that job.. Nice toy to.play with!!

• Like 4

Just now, JawsOrca said:

She can't get under the bridges though Iain. :huh: we did spot her on Saturday when we went over the bridge.. full speed not a hire boat in sight.. I so want that job.. Nice toy to.play with!!

Och young Alan, yer havering, I have seen SOB get under the Breydon road bridge ! :naughty:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JawsOrca said:

In a rush to leave off? On a promise? Just had a call on channel 16, brew ready back at the yacht station? 

Word is that a great many of the SOB's problems are induced by misuse. I am also led to believe that marine engineering experience and skills elsewhere in the BA leave a lot to be desired. I hear of entire engine (not very old either) going in the skip because of a common and easily fixed problem with an injection pump.

I must point out that these are just rumours that I have no basis or foundation for. However, I also have no reason to doubt my sources.

• Like 1