Old Photos

BryanW

Hi

I've just been going through some old photos of holidays with my parents around 1960 and thought I would share a few.

I am not absolutely sure of the dates but they would be from between 1959 and 1962 and the colour ones leave a bit to be desired even though I have tried to correct the colour cast and removed some of the spots (mould?) in the sky areas.  As you can see even then people ran aground on Breydon and look what you met on the Yare.

If Carol (Adnamsgirl) would like copies please let me know, I have about 17 in total.

Hope I haven't taken up too much server space.

1_-_April_Dawn_at_Malthouse_Broad?_-_~1960.jpg

2_-_April_Dawn_at_Malthouse_Broad?_-_~1960.jpg

6_-_Breydon_Water_-_~1960.jpg

7_-_Humbergate_-_River_Yare_-_~1960.jpg

10 - Gay Musketeer V - Mum & Dad - Norfolk Broads - ~1961.jpg

13_-_Delight_-_River_Bure_-_Wroxham_-_~1962.jpg

15_-_Delight_-_Womack_Staithe_-_~1962.jpg

• Like 16

Very interesting, thank you. It is interesting how little things changed in those days. The newest boat I can see, in the last photo, is a Herbert Woods Highlight, so that would date it as early 60s, otherwise I would think it was a lot earlier. The Broom boat still in varnish, in the second shot, is mis-leading, as I think that is a private boat, called Tonga.

Nice shot of a Woods Delight. Could that now be Water Rail?

• Like 1

Hi Vaughan

Having had another closer look at the picture at Womack of Delight I think that it is Delight X B773 which, according to Craig's database, was sold  in 1967, renamed Sea Shell 1, and then sold into private ownership before 1974 and, again, renamed Haste Away, last seen in 1980.  It is my mother and father sitting on the forward cabin top.

I am attaching another photo of my mother and me on Delight X, I find this picture interesting because of the design of the windscreen which is curved.

17 - Delight - Bryan & Mum - Norfolk Broads - ~1962.jpg

• Like 3

7 hours ago, BryanW said:

It is my mother and father sitting on the forward cabin top.

How wonderful to be able to identify your parents in an old photo, in this way. This is all part of the fascination of sharing these photos on the forum. The opportunity to share our memories.

Springsong, a lovely photo. Brooms built one or two boats like this, for private ownership. Originally their boats were all varnished, and the date when they started painting white can often date a photo. Same can be said for A.G.Ward, the Martham Development co., and others.

11 hours ago, Vaughan said:

The newest boat I can see, in the last photo, is a Herbert Woods Highlight, so that would date it as early 60s,

Almost Vaughan. She is more likely a Glistening Light. The rear window is too far forward to be a Highlight.

Its a Moorhen to the port side of Delight X..

• Like 2

14 hours ago, JanetAnne said:

She is Rippling Light (S391) one of the Glistening Light Class. Enlarged the piccy and whilst I cant read the name I could see there are two 'p's within the top line.

She is indeed Rippling Light.  The boat moored in front of her (bow to bank) is Anglian Sonnet, to the left of Delight is Y366 (can't read the name).  Here is another photo taken to the left of the first one.  If anybody wants me to try and read the names/numbers please ask since I can enlarge the pictures more.

16_-_Womack_Staithe_-_~1962.jpg

• Like 3

Well from right to left a Powles Foam Class , Merrywind , then I think Rushleen, Ferry Bucaneer/mutineer  and perhaps if Rippling Light was in the other photo this one maybe Crown of Light or indeed Shining light, last but not least one of the 42' Woods

King/Princess boats. 

• Like 1

On 06/06/2016 at 1:43 PM, deebee29 said:

Good to see these Bryan

I remember regularly seeing the big Sea going vessels on Breydon and up to the sugar factory

I've had to tie up while they turned the coaster up in Norwich for it to moor up at Colemans in the past, Dave.

cheersIain

• Like 2

On 6 June 2016 at 10:37 AM, BryanW said:

Hi

I've just been going through some old photos of holidays with my parents around 1960 and thought I would share a few.

I am not absolutely sure of the dates but they would be from between 1959 and 1962 and the colour ones leave a bit to be desired even though I have tried to correct the colour cast and removed some of the spots (mould?) in the sky areas.  As you can see even then people ran aground on Breydon and look what you met on the Yare.

If Carol (Adnamsgirl) would like copies please let me know, I have about 17 in total.

Hope I haven't taken up too much server space.

1_-_April_Dawn_at_Malthouse_Broad?_-_~1960.jpg

2_-_April_Dawn_at_Malthouse_Broad?_-_~1960.jpg

6_-_Breydon_Water_-_~1960.jpg

7_-_Humbergate_-_River_Yare_-_~1960.jpg

10 - Gay Musketeer V - Mum & Dad - Norfolk Broads - ~1961.jpg

13_-_Delight_-_River_Bure_-_Wroxham_-_~1962.jpg

15_-_Delight_-_Womack_Staithe_-_~1962.jpg

Lovely old snaps