Yorkshire Icon / Living Legend

Yesterday I was supposed to be near to Wisbech visiting friends and doing some handyman jobs around the house for them.  Due to a certain southern jessie having man flu (A common cold) him and his Dad couldn't make it.  He shall remain anonymous (but he is famous for blue fenders!)  Threw my weekend plans right outa the window it did as I was intending to carry on down to visit 'B.A' sat night, do a few jobs on her then return home Today.

However there was a big upside to this mini tale:-

Yesterday I got up close and personal with a true Yorkshire Icon.  Built right here in Doncaster.  It was of course the 'Flying Scotsman'  it stopped at the Blaxton / Finningley railway road crossing to take on water from a road tanker.  Impressive sight to see her under steam doing her thing.  And as for the 'Living Legend' - To follow

Griff

• Like 7

A Living Legend:-

The pub next to the line is aptly named 'The Station Hotel' (A lot of thought went into naming the establishment methinks)  they decided to do a 'Station Fest' to mark the occasion.  Live band, outdoor stuff, BBQ outdoor bar, charity fundraising for Help our Heroes, Kids attractions, proper party fun day atmosphere etc  etc.  I only just got to the pub / level crossing in time to see the Flying Scotsman as she had arrived early (She was there for around 40 odd minutes) and was still in my work gear so didn't stay too long afterwards in the Pub car park, besides I had made arrangements for further appointments during the afternoon.  Anyroadup, who should be there but Ben Parkinson MBE.  I approached his 'Minders' and asked if I could spend a few minutes with him chatting about nowt really.  They kindly agreed, what a nice man he is, his speech has improved no end so having a conversation with him is easy.  Mentally he is as sharp as ever.  I felt very privileged to have met him and for me I was more impressed at having met him than seeing F.S up close.  Happy Days

Griff

BA NBN 249.JPG

• Like 6

The flying scotsman Visited Bo'ness my parents home town, It was on the Bo'ness and Kinneil Railway for a overnight stop, service and refuel on May 16th. Here are links to some pictures. Not my pictures, you can see who the belong too....

http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/train-crew-work-on-the-flying-scotsman-at-boness-and-news-photo/531725034

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g1462708-d295988-i189604124-Bo_ness_and_Kinneil_Railway-Bo_ness_Falkirk_District_Scotland.html

And some video.

http://player.stv.tv/video/2plb/live-five/back-on-track-flying-scotsman-arrives-in-boness/

• Like 1

Great video Griff, I thought I'd missed it a few week ago at Colton on A64 as I was running late & carried on to plan B and get to Church Fenton airfield for a show where the old raf vets fly in 'Project Propeller'. Went via Ulleskelf and there was a hand ful stood on the bridge, FS was running 77 mins late so camera back out and wait. That day the class 47 was running a length infront spotting for clowns stood near the track which was causing the delays.

Ended up missing the show at Fenton but they let me in for a walk round the old RAF base and airside plus hangers.

Flying_Scot_040616_Ulleskelf_Station.JPG

• Like 4

• 3 months later...
1 minute ago, BroadAmbition said:

Sums it up nicely

Griff

NBN 270.jpg

That weekend out with your old mates has gone to your head! I blame that Mankini!!!:naughty: Skirts indeed!!!! Grrrrrrr!!! Kilts laddie....Kilts ! Agree about the southern arrows though! :hardhat:

cheersIain

• Like 1

The flying scotsman stopped just a few hundred yards from my house earlier this year on it's first run since refurb, it wasn't meant to stop but there were d*ckheads standing on the line trying to take piccies so it had no option as blood makes such a stain on fresh paintwork and is very corrosive on shiny metal bits, messed lots of other train times up as well.

Like the map o' t' world!

• 2 months later...

Coming soon Griff...watch for the thread of the 'A Love Story'. Follow one family on their dramatic journey through the generations as they colonise Australia, fight in India to Flanders Fields, dally with the rich famous and wealthy until they reach their homeland of Yorkshire. Featuring thousands of sheep, daring battles in the Khyber Pass, more sheep, the wealthiest family in England, the horrors of WW1 and the beauty of Yorkshire. Based on documents and photographs from the 1700's to the present day, coming to an NBN thread near you soon! A Love Story. See thee!

• Like 2

Of course...that's not the Flying Scotsman. Fortunately though the real Flying Scotsman, The Mallard, is also a Donny train! My Mum, befriender of distressed little old men, started talking to a little old boy at the Railway Museum when the Mallard was first installed. The tearful old lad had a pocket full of photographs of himself when he was the stoker on the run that made history and the Mallard became the Flying Scotsman...the fastest train between Scotland and London. 

• Like 1

There are steam buffs on this forum who know a lot more than me but as they have not replied. . . . 

The "blinkers" are smoke deflectors, in this case a later German design by the DBB (Deutsche Bundesbahnnen). The idea was to make the funnel smoke go upwards, rather than lie along the sides of the boiler and obscure the view of the crew in the cab. There had been a few accidents in the early days from drivers being blinded by the smoke, and unable to read signals.

Also, in order to set Timbo straight (I love doing this, when he talks about railways  :dance) - a "train" is a rake of coaches, pulled by a locomotive or "engine". So "Mallard" is not a train.

The original LNER class A1 locomotives were all named after famous race-horses, usually Derby or National winners and "Flying Scotsman" was one of them. There was also an express passenger service from Kings Cross to Scotland named "The Flying Scotsman" and engine No 4472 often hauled this train, so the two became synonymous.

The class A1 later became A3, with a modified boiler at higher pressure and from these, Gresley designed the A4, with a streamlined casing. So Flying Scotsman and Mallard are, basically, the same engine!

Mallard was sent on a special run, with only 6 coaches, to try for a speed record, which still stands at 126 point something MPH. This attempt also very nearly wrecked the engine!

Flying Scotsman, however, several years earlier, became the first steam locomotive to run at 100MPH over a timed distance, hauling the Flying Scotsman express on a scheduled service, with eleven loaded coaches. Her record is therefore rather more significant.

I shall expect you to answer questions on this subject at a later date!   :coat:

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Flying Scotsman, however, several years earlier, became the first steam locomotive to run at 100MPH over a timed distance, hauling the Flying Scotsman express on a scheduled service, with eleven loaded coaches. Her record is therefore rather more significant.

!   :coat:

There are many who would dispute that,  so here's a quick quote from Wiki to save my typing.

City of Truro was timed at 8.8 seconds between two quarter-mile posts whilst hauling the "Ocean Mails" special from Plymouth to London Paddington on 9 May 1904. This timing was recorded from the train by Charles Rous-Marten, who wrote for The Railway Magazine and other journals. If exact, this time would correspond to a speed of 102.3 mph (164.6 km/h); but Rous-Marten's stopwatch read in multiples of 15 second, so the next possible longer time it could register was 9 seconds, corresponding to exactly 100 mph

• Like 1