Lifeboat Search Finds Man Over Board In Reeds

Boaters

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

Wow.

He is certainly lucky to be still alive.

Incredibly lucky. It does show that too much alcohol and boating don't really mix too well. I wonder how the boat came to be adrift, mischief-making or too pie-eyed to tie up properly perhaps. 

5 minutes ago, vanessan said:

Incredibly lucky. It does show that too much alcohol and boating don't really mix too well. I wonder how the boat came to be adrift, mischief-making or too pie-eyed to tie up properly perhaps. 

Trying to helm & tie up single-handed.

One of his 9 lives gone for sure...

4 minutes ago, SwanR said:

I have never understood why the RNLI are not a properly funded public emergency service given all the lives they save every year.

Well done to the crew for another successful rescue.

Hemsby Lifeboat isn't part of the RNLI (not taking away from the immense job the RNLI do of course)

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, HemsbyPie said:

Hemsby Lifeboat isn't part of the RNLI (not taking away from the immense job the RNLI do of course)

I stand corrected ... let's just say that I meant all of our emergency and rescue services around the coast and the rivers ... does that cover it? :)

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, SwanR said:

I have never understood why the RNLI are not a properly funded public emergency service given all the lives they save every year.

Well done to the crew for another successful rescue.

The RNLI would never wish it so. Look at all the problems with "funding" in our Police, Fire and Ambulance service. They are proudly above such things and operate in every part of the British Isles including Eire.

• Like 2

It's the same with some of the air ambulance services. I've long wondered why they do not receive public funding bearing in mind the valuable emergency service they provide. No doubt they would all have gone under by now if they had to rely on that rather than public support.

Hmm, possibly came in to moor, and turned engine off before stepping ashore to tie up. (I've seen that mistake made several times.) Tried to reach the bow rope and fell in trying. Obviously alcohol wouldn't have helped in that situation but I'm reluctant to blame it without having ALL the info to hand.

4 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Hmm, possibly came in to moor, and turned engine off before stepping ashore to tie up. (I've seen that mistake made several times.) Tried to reach the bow rope and fell in trying. Obviously alcohol wouldn't have helped in that situation but I'm reluctant to blame it without having ALL the info to hand.

He didn't actually fall in whilst trying to moor up. They were a nice couple of blokes to be honest who just learnt a lesson the hard way...

There are so many inaccuracies in the EDP report but I guess that's the press for you! 

3 hours ago, HemsbyPie said:

There are so many inaccuracies in the EDP report but I guess that's the press for you! 

No change there then! Don't you just love our local rag!