Richardsons RC45 and RC35

we are a little way off the flybridge version at the moment but it will probably be based on the front or either the sedan or centre cockpit, the deck will be the same.

at the moment I think the single level version is being drawn up although I assume the sedan is being finished, I'm not fussed really, I have plenty to be getting on with!

Here is a photo of what has been going on with the RC45, the work which has been done is not obvious as it involved a lot of fixing and setting up what has already been assembled, also all the inercostals (longitudinal frames) have been faired in to make joints smooth without suqare edges so the skin fits snugly,

battens have also started to be placed along the frames to fix the skin, I recon by next week things will be flying along as although we only have 2 people on this job at the moment things are progressing well.

we have just paid for another 10 boats from France so it may be a while before I step up the speed of the development as the priority is to get boats in the fleet for what is looking like a very busy season.

post-503-136713655665_thumb.jpg

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

What are the french boats like Clive, the same as the other french ones, or anything different to what you have in the fleet already, OR are you going to put that up on a different thread?. Regards...............Neil.

Hi Neil,

I cant really have a separate thread for everything we do as the forum would be over run with Richos threads :)

I can think of seven boats which at present are being virtually rebuilt and another few which have had large parts of the interiors replaced. we have re engined 10 boats this winter and since our part time upholsterer retired before Christmas we now have a full time man and another starting on monday so there is far too much to talk about...

BUT...

2 X Challenger (11 and 14)

4 X Tradition 1135 (C188, C226, C164, C134)

4 X Tradition 1275 (C146, C225, C165, C143)

are the next lot to come over, the challengers will be like our Accapulco (45)

the Traditions are like the ones on here.

http://www.horning.org.uk/stylegallery.php?page=porter

the priority is to get boats in the fleet for what is looking like a very busy season.

Looks like Ludham bridge is really going to be manic this year around change over days!

And by next year the new boats will be coming off the production lines....

Back to the days of rafting up to find an over-night mooring spot on the Broads?

I must bone up on which moorings where rafting is allowed!

dont panic Martin, it should just mean that the hireboats will get to the moorings first and they dont mind doubling up :naughty::naughty:

there are moorings for hire boats at Ferry boatyard, Freedom and soon some more at Faircraft which are all free for hireboats and were not there a couple of years ago.

we have just paid for another 10 boats from France so it may be a while before I step up the speed of the development as the priority is to get boats in the fleet for what is looking like a very busy season.

Good news indeed! It doesn't seem many years ago I was getting increasingly disheartened at fleets closing each year and others (including Richardsons) retiring classes en-mass.

It is good to see a reversal of fortunes and that all operators are enjoying healthier seasons and are being given a better opportunity to reinvest and make themselves strong for the future, along with some new companies springing up, which was quite a common occurrence not too far back but has becom very rare in recent times.

Nice that a good number of Norfolk boats are coming back from France... as its a much more affordable journey for me to see them! The Traditional 1275 (or Connoisseur Super 8 as I will always think of them as) is quite a good layout, as is the smaller version, but the 6-8 berth ones should add a bit more choice in that size bracket to the fleet, which is all good stuff!

I think the next few seasons will be really interesting ones, and although peak season will be busier we must still be a long way off the Broads heyday & overcrowding, and I wouldnt be suprised if the hirefleet/craft numbers in total still do not exceed numbers from around 2002?

Dan

Ah, the old style Connoisseurs, excellent! I've always thought they're well laid out for a centre cockpit boat. I like the combination of centre saloon with high level passenger seat which is quite hard to find.

It sure is going to busy on the North Broads this peak season and it looks like it will be a bit bonkers busy on a Friday & Saturday in Stalham. Are you taking on extra staff for turnaround days Clive?

dont panic Martin, it should just mean that the hireboats will get to the moorings first and they dont mind doubling up :naughty::naughty:

Clive, I have never been on the Broads on anything other than on a hireboat, (although I must admit I have never tried one of yours yet...) but I still refer to the stretch of the Bure between the Ant and the Thurne as the M25, as on my first visit (some 15 years ago) there were three boats abreast in each direction there.

At that time I would have said that the Broads had reached their "saturation point". It was getting near to uncomfortable traffic volumes and facilities (mooring etc) were getting more and more difficult to access.

A couple of years ago I came back to the Broads and was suprised by the reduction in the number of boats around, even in "high season", now it seems that the popularity is increasing again which is good. It means that the yards can invest again, and the local economy can hopefully prosper.

More boaters and more facilities, e.g. 15 years back mooring at the Abbey was a rond anchor job and now there are proper moorings there.

I am glad to see your new RC45 and RC35 designs being designed to (possibly, depending on water levels, go to the further reaches (unlike some company's "new" aquisitions!)) but there again you do have to get them at least under Ludham on most Saturdays and Sundays.

It would be interesting to see how the number of boats on the BA register have varied over the years.

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Hi all, Clive,That`s actually a very interresting point Simon`s (Broads01) raised about the shear volume of boat traffic on the Ant and the northern rivers. With all the extra boats (the French boats and the new RC35/45 range), and considering the extra income they will generate, would it be a financially viable idea to re-open one, maybe even two extra yards on the southern rivers?. Before anybody discounts the idea, don`t forget, there are plenty of windows of opportunity to re-establish yards like the ex Aston yard at Beccles, or one of the Brundall yards that has gone, such as Fencraft, or even one of the yards at St olaves. Ther are lot`s of yards that could be re-opened, what would be the problems besides finnacial investment?. Also, it should not be forgotten that many people prefer the quieter southern rivers to the much more busier northern ones, so this would be an opportunity to attract new customers. Regards to all..........................Neil.

Ah, the old style Connoisseurs, excellent! I've always thought they're well laid out for a centre cockpit boat. I like the combination of centre saloon with high level passenger seat which is quite hard to find.

They were lovely boats Simon, but I always thought the boarding arrangements down those stupid ships ladders were a design flaw, that excluded less able bodied hirers.

Sounds like you've got a great (if busy) year coming up Clive :clap I can't say I'm sorry we took the decision to move south side though :lol:

Hi Clive,

Expanding on Neil's Idea for a Southern base. How does it work for you with Horizon, do you find it a help or a hindrance to have split yards?

Ever thought of one way hire? open a Southern yard and run a mini bus between them on changeover days so the customers could get back to their cars. could make for a far more relaxed time on short or even one week breaks if you didn't have to get all the way back up the length of the Broads to take the boat back.

Would probably help to re establish the Southern rivers with the hire trade too.

Actually, stupid idea, forget I said it, it would never work. :naughty::naughty:

Ever thought of one way hire? open a Southern yard and run a mini bus between them on changeover days so the customers could get back to their cars. Actually, stupid idea, forget I said it, it would never work. :naughty::naughty:

I seem to remember one company , possibly Connoisseurs, used to do one-way hires, Wroxham - Brundall or vice-versa.

Not really viable for short breaks though as the next hirer wouldn't be able to tell where they were going to start from.

It could work for week or two week hires as you would be able to work out where the boat would be for the next start day,

but I would say that a one week one-way hire wouldn't be worth it.

It would also need a good bit of tidal planning, as some weeks the combinations of daylight and early / late slack water times for Yarmouth can be almost unusable if you are only on a one week hire.

There is plenty to see up North or down South for a week without trying to do the whole broads in six days.

(says he who has a Brundall - Reedham - Ludham - Salhouse - Brundall 4 day short break planned for next month,

but I did go for a week when the slack water times were suitable) :P

As for using a mini-bus to take the customers back to their cars, I would say take the drivers back to their cars, otherwise you would have to transport all the luggage as well!

But is this why Clive has been restoring his old bus? :lol:

One way cruising :roll::roll:

Tried that on the Thames, the boat is never where you need it as you have to rely on a fully booked season, also the cost of a minibus (or double decker for Stalham) plus a driver is not cheap. also there isnt another base with the same capacity as Stalham?

Just cruise to Stokesby and turn round :naughty:

If a Southern base was suggested to my Dad I would never hear the end of it, He noticed a decline during the 50s and a much better season from Stalham. There is a niche market for the southern rivers but we dont really want to get involved as we also have extra capacity here at Stalham. Acle is different as we have a very established team there and are at capacity.

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Hi all, I think it might have been Pennant (Herbert Woods) that may have done the one way thing between Potter Heigham and Thorpe on the Broads when they also had Hearts cruisers, though i may be wrong (again? :lol: ). Never liked the idea of one way cruising anyway, too complicated. But getting back on thread, i think a southern yard would be a good idea, because you would`nt need to base many boats down there, and it would be a good area to cruise the new Sedan version, with very little problems with bridge heights etc. The problem with the old Hearts yard that clive had (or still has :naughty: ) is the bridge restriction, but there are lots of other disused yards around the south. ANYWAY, what`s happening to the RC 45 Clive, has there been much more progress yet?, as i`m sure we`re all dying to see some more piccy`s :grin::grin::grin: . Regards...................Neil.

Hi All,

Who the heck wants to cruise the southern rivers anyway :naughty::naughty:

Reeds reeds and more reeds :liar

And

Its full of all those blooming bling boats :naughty::naughty::naughty:

Stick to the North.

If it wasnt for those damn :Sailing The North would be just perfect and you would never see me dahn saff :liar:liar

Rod

Your right Rod, it was stupid to even think about bringing hire boats down here, nothing to see, nothing at all, certainly not worth taking on the krackens of Breydon.

People on Holiday would be daft to waste time south fighting all the rip tides and looking at reeds :Stinky:Stinky

Here is the progress report for this week :)

You will see on the photos that most of the battons have been fixed in place on the front cabin roof, this is a tedious job as all the frames need fairing in and the battons need to continuously moved untill everything is right, they are now all fixed with just the 3 either side to do.

The rear roof has some of the skin on the central section and the cutouts for the handrails have been worked out ready for the skin, at the moment the rear deck is being laid as we have to do this before the battons can be pulled throught to get the lines on the cabin sides pulled through, you can see that some of the skin has been fitted to the cabin side.

We seem to have now entered a stage which did not really exist with the hull where virtually everything needs to be thought about before we can carry on, it is very interesting though as it is something I have never been involved with before.

post-503-136713658853_thumb.jpg

post-503-136713658878_thumb.jpg