Warning Motorboat Owners / Hirers Aug 2016

TheQ

8 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Then there was that Sabberton bloke:-

Knowing Alan as I do, he will probably succeed. He is an amazing inventor, and engineer.

His father, Pete, built production speedboats in plywood and then GRP, with a 4.2 Jaguar engine. His own racing boat though, had a Ford Holman Moody Galaxy V8, on a V drive. The sound of that thing going round Oulton Broad was unforgettable.

I say Peter, we haven't gone off the subject have we? Oh well. . . . .

• Like 1

Vaughan maybe have my wires crossed here but when I was an apprentice at A D Truman every year a varnished wooden speed boat with a big V8 engine had to be serviced, Being the apprentice I had to change the oil, knowing the oil was easier to pump out when hot, well that was me gone for half an hour :wave

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mowjo said:

I'm not knocking it! it just puzzles me why? I'm a stinky and 4mph is fast for me but twenty minutes to go something like 50yrds even the ducks were overtaking them, I probably could have turned my engine off and drifted past them at their speed, Nah! i just wondered if there was a reason for them doing it, next time I see it I'll ask,

These are the meandering thoughts of Smelly on this vexing question.

The Motor boat owner on the Broads is restricted to the extent of the waterways. I often see these people striving to motor every inch of available water and this goal can be acheived relatively quickly. So I guess ultimataly they end up sitting in their boats enjoying watching the world go by when they have exhausted the limited challenges.

The sail boat owner is challenged every time they go out by differing winds, tides and man made obstacles. So a short half mile, difficult stretch of water can provide endless challenges. Yes they might take hours to overcome the challenges but they enjoy watching the world go by as they do it. So in essence the sail boat skipper can enjoy miles & miles of experience in a relatively short stretch of water.

In conclusion the sail boat owner can enjoy a lifetime of challenges on the Broads regardless of the limitations of the waterways. I have often thought it might be nice to exhange the flappy for the comforts of a stinkie but I fear I would quickly be bored. I don't enjoy driving a car and I find driving a stinkie .......... sorry stinkie owners ............. extremely dull!!

Ah,  Even better Use a Stinky as a support boat for a Flappy. Drive your Stinky to tow your Flappy to where you wish to sail, have a nice sail, stop on board with all the facilities. My reason for getting a Stinky But don't tell SWMBO that...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

Ah,  Even better Use a Stinky as a support boat for a Flappy. Drive your Stinky to tow your Flappy to where you wish to sail, have a nice sail, stop on board with all the facilities. My reason for getting a Stinky But don't tell SWMBO that...

you and me both, Qcheers

You lot are rubbish! even the raggies can't answer me! :facepalm:Smellyloo! how do raggies see anything of the Broads at all? all I see them doing is flapping about from side to side watching the sail or pulling ropes, I'd love to try sailing but it looks like too much hard work to me, I've no idea why but I see sailing as a sport and not a leisure thing, I can see the thrill of winning a race but pootling along rivers like the Ant at 3 miles per week just dos't work for me,,

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mowjo said:

You lot are rubbish! even the raggies can't answer me! :facepalm:Smellyloo! how do raggies see anything of the Broads at all? all I see them doing is flapping about from side to side watching the sail or pulling ropes, I'd love to try sailing but it looks like too much hard work to me, I've no idea why but I see sailing as a sport and not a leisure thing, I can see the thrill of winning a race but pootling along rivers like the Ant at 3 miles per week just dos't work for me,,

:hardhat: Next time I go planing past you at 15mph and you are restricted to 4 mph I'll give you a wave!

• Like 2

Q! I'm now on Norfolk time and never rush anywhere! most of the time even 4mph is fast for me, I'm sure that because the speed limit says 4mph, 5mph or 6mph people think thats the exact speed you have to do, sometimes I feel guilty pootling along at 3mph if there are boats behind me, and I love watching raggies under sail at any speed, it's just a mystery to me some of the things they seem to do, on the other hand lifes a mystery to me!

• Like 1