Warning Motorboat Owners / Hirers Aug 2016

TheQ

46 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Thank you very much Maurice Mynah it is much appreciated

The Q

I too have now left the other place it just wasn't worth the grief anymore...

46 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Thank you very much Maurice Mynah it is much appreciated

The Q

I too have now left the other place it just wasn't worth the grief anymore...

And all us refugees have a new home, thanks to the NBN for being here.

• Like 3

The HSC's predecessor, the Horning Town Sailing Club, was one of the very oldest on the Broads and racing has been held there since the year "dot". The regatta is considered as a key event in the Broads calendar and so due "leeway" should be given to it. After all, you wouldn't expect to drive down Notting Hill High St on the day of the carnival, or down the Mall during the Trooping of the Colour.

I remember years ago (1960 I think) when during a stiff breeze, Evening Flight and Forester's rigging got locked together and they went straight up the dinghy dyke on a beam reach. Forester's bowsprit went through the first of five moored Enterprises just as the starting gun went off, while Evening Flight used a couple of moored launches as fenders. It was the open day, and the front of the clubhouse was full of spectators. I remember they all picked up their babies and ran for it!

Cruiser racing was totally banned at Horning for several years after that.

• Like 1

A little before my time that one, Vaughan, there nearest I've had was gently going down Dinghy Dyke in a Yeoman and Getting Hit by a huge Gust. I had to put the Yeoman up the slipway, right up till it impacted with the keel but luckily with no damage to the Yeoman or other boats.

Otherwise I've always found Toppers make a good fender as they are nice soft plastic!:hardhat:

This site http://www.archivealive.org/video/index/id/121 used to have the 1908 Horning Regatta film on it. But now this link doesn't work and I can't seem to find an alternative viewing for it.

• Like 2

Thank you very much for the info, it has helped me replay to avoid the busy area. Good luck to them I say. Nice to see (or not in my case ) so many enjoy them selves and youngsters learn the trade. Live and let live plenty of room for all.

• Like 2

I have to say that horning sailing club have always proved friendly to me even when I absent mindedly moored next to their windward mark on a Sunday they simply moved it while jovially chivying me to move up a bit.

Posting here to give people fair warning of an imminent forest of masts and spars on the navigation should be applauded. Just like warning about heavy weather or other hazards. 

• Like 3

That is a lovely piece of film and thank you Grendel, for the link. Interesting that Southgates main yard looks much the same as I remember it. Reminds us that Blakes agency was founded in 1908. One of those yachts looks very much like Cruiser number 4, Swallow, in which I crewed Tom Percival at Horning many times in the late 60s.

The Q, the incident that I mention is also on film. In those days the club made a cine film of each regatta, which they then showed to members, the following year, in the pavilion on the Swan Lawn, one evening during the regatta, and I saw it myself, taken looking down from the roof of the clubhouse.

If you can find that one in the club archives, it is well worth posting on the forum!

That film I have not seen.... YET. I presume it was made by the sadly missed Derek Howes, I've seen several of his films.

These days there are cameras everywhere and have been for several years, some even on the boats themselves. Last year Someone made a Regatta film again. I hate to say I'm half asleep in a rescue boat as usual.

I hope they will continue making films, I do note the film last year, seems to make the river less crowded than it is during regatta week!!!:Sailing

• Like 2

What appears to have been forgotten by some is that regattas are by and large the locals coming out to play, as is their custom. It saddens me to think that there are those who are intolerant to the ways of the Broads. I would like to echo Warp's comment:

1 hour ago, Warp said:

Posting here to give people fair warning of an imminent forest of masts and spars on the navigation should be applauded. Just like warning about heavy weather or other hazards. 

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, TheQ said:

That film I have not seen.... YET. I presume it was made by the sadly missed Derek Howes, I've seen several of his films.

I think this film would pre-date those made by Derek as he joined in 1970, are there not some originally done by George Southgate or David Hastings?

Memory again!

Liz

• Like 2

4 hours ago, grendel said:

1908 regatta footage- now here:-

http://www.eafa.org.uk/catalogue/57

Thanks for the link, Grendel. A bonus being that it lead to a link to Beccles Town Regatta, appreciated.

Q, thanks for the modern film.  Regretfully no errant motor boats impaled on bowsprits. Incidentally I did once witness a hire cruiser impaled on the bow of a speedboat racing at Oulton Broad. Also remember an Optimist sailing dinghy famously speared by the bowsprit on Maidie, a large and impressive sailing cruiser, during an Oulton Regatta.   

On ‎04‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 7:44 PM, chameleon said:

sadly this epitomises horning sailng club attitudes as perceived by many regular river users

arrogant, bullying and very little thought for anyone else

meet them on sunday on a bend 4  abreast and not even leaving room for a motor boat to hug the bank, many hirers out for

the first time would be put off by this attitude, i have been through regattas many times,no doubt will again,

perhaps the club should take a long look at the behaviour  of some of their members and issue warnings to them,

instead of us

we all have a right of navigation, and  its time some club members recognised it

Sadly I have to agree with this from personal experience, while I confess to having no interest in sailing whatsoever I respect everyone`s right to enjoy their sport or hobby as they see fit what I don`t accept is that it should be to the detriment of anyone else`s enjoyment.

While the date is useful to know the first timers are unlikely to read the forums, having spent more on a weeks holiday at the busiest time of year than most club yachtsmen are likely to spend in the local community`s in a year the average holiday maker should be entitled to more consideration than having the racing fraternity monopolising the area for a week.

Fred

Fred, thanks for entering the debate in a constructive, rational manner. Just consider though your first paragraph:

37 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

Sadly I have to agree with this from personal experience, while I confess to having no interest in sailing whatsoever I respect everyone`s right to enjoy their sport or hobby as they see fit what I don`t accept is that it should be to the detriment of anyone else`s enjoyment.

Fred

Does that also not apply to those taking part in the regatta, does their enjoyment, and that of the numerous spectators, not matter too? That aside a number of the competitors in Broads regattas are directly involved with the Broads hireboat industry. As regards to what most club yachtsmen spend in a year, you might be surprised just how that mounts up. I do know for a fact that my daughter spends at least £2,000.00 p.a. just keeping her sailing boat in good condition as a cruising boat, those who race probably spend a great deal more. Your comments also begs the question, don't the locals also deserve some consideration? The Broads is also their playground, sometimes their work place and often their home. Please consider also that whilst many boats are racing at Horning they are not then racing elsewhere. Lastly, there are over a hundred miles of Broads navigation, HSC are using a mile or so of it, there is room for all.

• Like 6

Peter, as usual, your post raises more than one valid point.

I used the analogy of the Notting Hill Carnival but maybe that is not suitable, as in London they will divert you by another route. On the Bure in Horning, there is no other route.

In my day we always said that if you want to maintain a big racing Cruiser then you also need to own a boatyard, to pay for it. In a lot of cases that still holds true today. Events like Horning Regatta are indeed a chance for the locals and those in the business, to come out to play.

On the other hand I have met hundreds of hirers in my time, who love to tell the stories of how they got stuck in the middle of it all, and how they somehow managed to get through. They all love to show their videos of it. We always say that a boating holiday is an adventure holiday. Surely Horning regatta is one of the memorable high points of that adventure?

• Like 3

On 04/07/2016 at 7:44 PM, chameleon said:

sadly this epitomises horning sailng club attitudes as perceived by many regular river users

arrogant, bullying and very little thought for anyone else

meet them on sunday on a bend 4  abreast and not even leaving room for a motor boat to hug the bank, many hirers out for

the first time would be put off by this attitude, i have been through regattas many times,no doubt will again,

perhaps the club should take a long look at the behaviour  of some of their members and issue warnings to them,

instead of us

we all have a right of navigation, and  its time some club members recognised it

I must read the whole thread because I thought it was about stinky owners :evil: now I have no real love for raggies apart from they look nice, but if you think that attitude only applies to raggies you really need to get out on the water a bit more, I've been a private stinky owner on the Broads for 35 years and the worst offenders for all of the above have been private stinky owners, I much prefer the gentle swish of a raggie going past to my cup of tea or my dinner in my lap when a stinky going hell for leather goes past, or when I'm doing 4mph and for some reason they just have to be in front cutting up boats coming the other way and me having to take avioding action because they just couldn't wait five minutes, like with raggies there's only a few bloody minded ones out there, trouble is they are the ones we remember and give the rest a bad name, so Pot, Kettle, Black comes to mind here, just follow the instructions of the man in the little boat and everythings normally fine,,

• Like 5

9 hours ago, w-album said:

I think this film would pre-date those made by Derek as he joined in 1970, are there not some originally done by George Southgate or David Hastings?

Memory again!

Liz

I didn't know Derek and family Joined as late 1970, by the time I joined about 10 Years Later, Derek, Mollie, Sally And Paul were an integral part of the club And kept beating me on the water as well. I'd assumed they had been members for many years longer than that.

Yes it's quite possible David or George made the earlier films. But I haven't seen them..

There is another way past most of the area in Horning normally used for racing, Sadly today you can only do it in a canoe, Looking at Google maps / aircraft views. There is a gate a few hundred yards down river from Dydlers mill into the fens that are opposite Black Horse Broad across the Bure, there are are still narrow waterways through the area and through what was a broad,  to somewhere on the river near the New Inn.

Anyone got a very big JCB to restore that lost water way?

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, TheQ said:

There is another way past most of the area in Horning normally used for racing, Sadly today you can only do it in a canoe, Looking at Google maps / aircraft views. There is a gate a few hundred yards down river from Dydlers mill into the fens that are opposite Black Horse Broad across the Bure, there are are still narrow waterways through the area and through what was a broad,  to somewhere on the river near the New Inn.

Anyone got a very big JCB to restore that lost water way?

The Broads Authority? If that dyke was navigable in 1986 then the BA is duty bound to maintain it. 

6 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

The Broads Authority? If that dyke was navigable in 1986 then the BA is duty bound to maintain it. 

I think they would only maintain it as it was in 1986, canoes even then, not 1796 as Shown IIRC on Fadens map of that time.

All motor boats to be equipted with blow up kayaks, problem solved. Might not suit heavy smokers though, nor vast arsed, top heavy crews for that matter!

Joking aside, it might be worth talking to Trudy at the BA, they are often quite keen on canoe trails

I will not get into the discussion on this forum over how my original post was written, almost all on here have taken the piece as I wished. But I must add a simple statement.

I am NOT, nor have there ever been, to my knowledge, an Official representive of Horning Sailing Club on this or any forum. I just try to help HSC and anyone else know what is going on on the river to Avoid or get through the Navigation with the least difficulty to sailors :Sailing or Motorboats.:Stinky  I have and ( when they work) use both.

3 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

All motor boats to be equipted with blow up kayaks, problem solved. Might not suit heavy smokers though, nor vast arsed, top heavy crews for that matter!

Joking aside, it might be worth talking to Trudy at the BA, they are often quite keen on canoe trails

I have regularly Seen Scouts (male and female) and possibly other groups ( they might be  scouts  not  in uniform) canoeing through the normally locked gate. I presume they have access to the key. I would assume BA and the surrounding land owner (Cators?) know about it.

I rescue enough people, without more soggy ones in canoes:hardhat:

Strange my last post dosnt seem to have registered.

JM, What appears to have come across as a general statement was meant to apply to a few individuals my fault for not being more specific, I dont have a problem with Regattas or the sailing fraturnity in general, I have always got on well with most people of every persuasion and dislike the them and us divide, I have gone through Thurne many times with no problems also Barton and sat and watched the racing on Wroxham Broad and the 3Rs, on 3 occasions I have been hit while standing to as requested/suggested all during the Horning Regattas on no occasion has the crew involved stopped to see what damage has been caused or even offer an apologie or acknowledgement, fortunately no serious damage has occured otherwise I would have reported it to the BA, I have also witnessed intimidating behaviour towards hire boats whos crew are obviously inexperianced, maybe wrong place wrong time but this has only happened during Horning week.

I am perfectly happy for the club to enjoy their Reggatta and appreciate that many people also enjoy just watching and wouldnt want to prevent this, however I don`t accept the attitude of some individuals that these reaches are their own private playground for the week and no one else should intrude.

Fred

• Like 1

Thanks for that clarification Fred, I tend to agree with you, but as has been said there is arrogance and ill manners on both sides of that fence, the only thing in the hireboat arguments favour is that for the mostpart, the sailies are more experienced. (please note... I did say "for the mostpart" )

I hold regattas and angling matches in much the same light. If I know about and remember them, I do what I can to avoid cruising through them. I don't consider this an infringement on my right to navigate nor do I feel my human rights have been violated, it's just a bit of mutual back scratching.

• Like 1