Warning Motorboat Owners / Hirers Aug 2016

TheQ

4 hours ago, TheQ said:

I am greatful that the people of this site, have taken the message in the style it was written, just a attempt to get people to read the main thread regatta, who wouldn't normally read it. No one has gone off the deep end like on the other site....

In a Cutty Sark?

There's always one. Usually the same one :naughty:

18 minutes ago, Poppy said:

She's welcome..... to sit on mine :naughty:

I'd better hold back any comment on that one, until I re read the entire thread.....

Edit: Ahh now read it, I understand now lol...

I haven't got one, so she can't sit on mine lol

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Gracie said:

Blimey Pops, where did you say you are moored? :naughty: Before any of you start, I've never see such a big bowsprit :naughty:

Grace

Gracie, six feet is nothing special on the Broads. Pops has a very nice one but it's nothing to fear, I suppose a boat called Crystal has one at least double that length. This one is another 'real' bowsprit:

Oulton%20Week%202014%20001.jpg

• Like 3

sadly this epitomises horning sailng club attitudes as perceived by many regular river users

arrogant, bullying and very little thought for anyone else

meet them on sunday on a bend 4  abreast and not even leaving room for a motor boat to hug the bank, many hirers out for

the first time would be put off by this attitude, i have been through regattas many times,no doubt will again,

perhaps the club should take a long look at the behaviour  of some of their members and issue warnings to them,

instead of us

we all have a right of navigation, and  its time some club members recognised it

Sadly this attitude of some who having joined a friendly thread, Start making false accusations, simply following the rules of navigation, for all boats, seems to make some assume we are attacking or denigrating others.

I put a warning out to attract the attention of others who had failed to notice, a friendly Thread which may affect their  enjoyment of the broads and people leap on the band wagon of attacking what was written often without reading it themselves. Yes all who are on the broads have a right to navigation, following the broads regulations, and taking note of advice given, to reduce the impact on your journey is all that we ask.

All the others on this thread have accepted the warning for what it is,  A REQUEST TO HELP YOU and others navigate through the normal chaos of regatta week 

If you read the full thread to which this thread refers you'll see that warnings are given out to sailors.

The broads are crowded and more crowded at  some times than others, recognising that others have a right to navigation, whether, it be a Sailing boat, a Hire boat, a working boat or a private boat is in the Broads regulations all you have to do is follow them. We sailors regularly have avoid all types of boat, some driven inconsiderately, some fantastically well.  Just because sometime you may be inconvenienced By sailing boats following the broads regulations, causing you to stop for a few seconds is not a denial of navigation nor is it arrogance. It is caused by the difficulty of sailing in confined waters.

Many years ago when there hundreds more hire boats there were long queues going down the rivers through Horning and other towns looking for the elusive mooring. Would you break out into such a diatribe for those and the circling motor boats we still see at Horning staithe?

I'll not go through that advice here it's on the other thread.

Many people not just sailors have a competitive instinct and as a result can get pretty keen to do well.  This unfortunately does spill over to effect those not necessarily feeling the same excitement or enjoyment. I endeavour to be courteous at all times when on the river sailing, acknowledging with appreciation other river users efforts to help.  It doesn't always work though, and there are some sailors that could do better, I don't deny this (we whilst sailing often have the same problem) but we are never going to hit someone unless something seriously goes wrong, it doesn't help anyone least of all the actual sailor and damage costs money and can set back your week's sailing.

At The Q says please keep to your respective bank and take it carefully, keep moving wherever possible as well as if you stop, it starts to cause a serious traffic jam and this sometimes is when the problems start when people start to try and overtake.

It should also be remembered and this might not always be apparent but each sailing boat also has sailing rules to follow and depending on which tack you are on, you have to give way to other racing boats, this in itself can be seriously hard work when confronted on a port tack with a river full of boats coming down on starboard.  The bigger boats including sailing cruisers still have to give way to a tiny dinghy if that dinghy is on starboard close hauled. So we are often seriously concentrating ourselves on avoiding boats only for a motor cruiser to suddenly get frustrated and overtake a steady stream of boats.

At the end of the day, the worst time for everyone is at the start because we are not only trying to get a good start, we are trying to avoid each other and other river users coming towards us or through us just at the wrong moment.

Liz

• Like 5

Having sampled on several occasions the Sunday morning Horning fleet, it sure does sharpen up your boating awareness.

TheQ was kind enough to pre warn us all, how you react to that is up to the individual skipper. It is tight in bits through Horning, so please ALL take care. Oh yes, and enjoy being on the rivers. I wish I could, but not a hope in hell just now.:cry

cheersIain

• Like 3

I whole heartedly agree Iain, just enjoy it all and have fun and may the best Sailor win. I would most definitely do as our lovely Mr Nog suggests, sitting in a pub garden and watching them sail by, or, open a bottle and sit on deck safely moored up, by the time you've had a glass or three you won't care how many of the blighters are out there lol :naughty:

Seriously, it's all good fun, the Broads are there for all of us to enjoy, so just get on and enjoy it

Happy sailing to all of you :Sailing

Grace :gracie:

• Like 6

Mike/Chameleon, I'm sorry that you have chosen to air your views in the way that you have. Racing isn't really my thing but I have crewed twice in the Three Rivers race and neither time have I witnessed any justification for the rancour of your response. As for the club I can only applaud HSC's efforts to help non participants enjoy their boating too. Some years ago I arranged a Drascombe Rally to coincide with the Yare Navigation Race. We passed through the racing fleet twice, it proved to be the highlight of our rally. Regattas are spectacular events with a long history of well over a hundred years on the Broads. For folk who don't like them I respectively suggest that they avoid them, plenty of alternatives. 

• Like 4

Whoa Mike! Not sure I can go along with you there!

All this is rather my fault.

I was the one who wrote a few weeks back that I hadn't read the "Three rivers thread" because I'd thought it only of interest to those involved.

I was the prat who subdequently found himself trying to navigate through what appeared to be a couple of thousand mad sailies all trying to kill me.

So I was the one who specifically requested that TheQ publicised such sailing events to the likes of me, in a manner likely to make me read it.

This he has done and I am grateful to him for it. Sadly however, it has also set him up as a target for some pretty vitriolic comments. The Horning sailing club has also been the recipient of a certain level of venom. (predominantly in the other place)

I feel profoundly guilty for this as had I not asked for this information Mr Q would have avoided this nastiness, so to TheQ, I apologise unreservedly.

I no longer post on the NBF, but in this instance I shall be posting a slightly edited version of this there.

Horning is one of the greatest gems of the northern waters, and it's sailing club is an asset to it.

• Like 9

MM never mind ,  I am sure the OP will survive and get over this along with all of the sailies and stinkies who will be out and about on the day of the race.       Hindsight is a wonderful thing and had you imagined the reaction and at times over embellishment by people (human nature) you would not have suggested the post in the first place.     Best to keep under the parapet at all times me thinks.

:Stinky:Sailing:hiding:

Never mind keeping under the parapet . . . I'm staying under my stone. It's cool and dark under here. I'll come out when Brexit fever, and Broads regattas have died down. Could be under here a while, I think. :grin:

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Whoa Mike! Not sure I can go along with you there!

All this is rather my fault.

I was the one who wrote a few weeks back that I hadn't read the "Three rivers thread" because I'd thought it only of interest to those involved.

I was the prat who subdequently found himself trying to navigate through what appeared to be a couple of thousand mad sailies all trying to kill me.

So I was the one who specifically requested that TheQ publicised such sailing events to the likes of me, in a manner likely to make me read it.

This he has done and I am grateful to him for it. Sadly however, it has also set him up as a target for some pretty vitriolic comments. The Horning sailing club has also been the recipient of a certain level of venom. (predominantly in the other place)

I feel profoundly guilty for this as had I not asked for this information Mr Q would have avoided this nastiness, so to TheQ, I apologise unreservedly.

I no longer post on the NBF, but in this instance I shall be posting a slightly edited version of this there.

Horning is one of the greatest gems of the northern waters, and it's sailing club is an asset to it.

Thank you very much Maurice Mynah it is much appreciated

The Q

I too have now left the other place it just wasn't worth the grief anymore...