Broad Ambition - The Model

grendel

a tiny hole will be drilled and the pin pushed in, with a representation of a slot scratched or ground onto the head.

Dremel a groove into the top of each head - Bro' has a set of attachments for his Dremel, there are some proper fine cutting discs available, the genuine items are good quality

Griff

perhaps I should carve a picture of BA onto the pin head, it has been suggested elsewhere that using a knife blade and a sharp tap with a hammer will leave a suitable crease for the slot, I have some right fine dremel discs, but I dont think they are fine enough. anyway, the first rib I steamed was fitted this evening, I now have an extra day every weekend up to christmas.

IMG_3991.JPG

IMG_3992.JPG

• Like 2

Making the most of my long weekend, earlyish start, so thats one plank steamed and bent, another glued into place, hopefully I will be able to do another the same this evening. as I get further up the hull the bends at the bow get easier.though I still need to work out what to do with the ones that are a little off.

IMG_3993.JPG

IMG_3994.JPG

IMG_3995.JPG

• Like 4

well a bit more work, another plank shaped and steamed, and another glued in place, I finally have a plan for the wayward planks, now I have a few more planks in place I can use those to clamp one end of a stiff strip of wood, which can be clamped to the keel at the other end to pull those planks in, they will be damped to help them bend.

IMG_3996.JPG

IMG_3997.JPG

IMG_3998.JPG

IMG_3999.JPG

IMG_4000.JPG

• Like 3

'B.A' was never caulked using the traditional method.  It was unsuitable for her hull as they knew that a mould for GRP was to be taken from her hull.  Traditional caulking would have shown up all the plank joints.  Instead Powles used long lengths of teak cut on a circular saw to a wedge shape 1" wide with the outer edge of the wedge being no more than 1/4" thick.  These long wedges were then hammered into the joints between each plank, then planed / sanded to give a perfectly smooth finish.  We employed the same method during the restoration

Griff

• Like 3

first task this weekend is to fix those wayward planks at the front, so stiff piece of 1/2 x 1/4 oak strip as a brace, plus a couple of clamps and a wedge, and now for the glue to dry, this side was the worst one, and we will give the glue plenty of time to set.

IMG_4014.JPG

IMG_4015.JPG

• Like 1

I also purchased a few more spare clamps, some more 1" 4 2" and a couple of 3", these have already come in handy ( the 4x 1" and 4x 2" have already been ground down to fit between ribs), one rib steamed, another glued in place and the other sprung plank is being forced back into shape. I also spotted Lidls still had a couple of finger belt sanders left, so got one to help smooth the hull down later.

IMG_4018.JPG

IMG_4019.JPG

IMG_4020.JPG

IMG_4021.JPG

IMG_4022.JPG

IMG_4023.JPG

• Like 4

you are talking to the man who used to paint the eyeballs of 25mm figures, then pluck a single hair dip it in blue paint and apply the pupil to the eye, now I do need a stronger magnifying glass these days (or wear 2 pairs of glasses), but I dont reckon the skill has quite gone yet, if the real lettering is 6" high I do have 12mm to do each letter, it will just take care and patience.

so being a weekend a second rib has been shaped and steamed, and the one done earlier today has been glued in place, the keel / hog has been faired into the planking using the belt sander and its looking good, very happy with progress at the moment.

IMG_4024.JPG

IMG_4025.JPG

IMG_4026.JPG

• Like 3

This morning I have steamed and bent another plank, fixed another, I will be coming to the narrow planks that go around the corners, this means I have almost finished the bottom part of the hull, once around the corner we will be onto the sides. The lettering, I think I will add the various pictures I have together in CAD and from there I can create the graphics, these will be stuck temporarily just above the area they will be copied to on the finished model, then freehand copied directly to the hull, maybe a practice piece will be done first. what am I saying maybe? - of course a practice piece will be done

IMG_4029.JPG

IMG_4030.JPG

IMG_4031.JPG

• Like 4