Weather For This Weekend Please

Viking23

I wonder if some of the locals, or visitors,  who know how to feel their drying sea weed or check their weather cones can give me a clue as to what you think the weather is likely to be for say Stalham, for This Sunday, Monday and Tuesday.

I have looked at the BBC Weather, and about three internet weather channels and they all say differently, well they all say Saturday is a wash out, so we are avoiding that lol,  some say rain on Sunday, or Monday, others say cloud no rain.

We haven't been down for a few months, one of the serious jobs that I want to do is replace the impeller on the outboard, change the gear oil etc, I have a makeshift winch, so I can raise the engine above the jetty, and I intend to lay it on its side and do the business. So I hope to find say a 4 hour dry window, as the rear canopy will be off, and the cockpit, tools and me will be vulnerable to the rain, so which would be the best day for this?

Best regards,

Richard.

Tuesday looks better, but we have to leave early, but might get it done.

I might take a large tarp, to place over the cockpit, whilst the lifting rig is in place, then I can do some between showers lol...

This getting old lark really takes it's toll lol.  I have always done the outboard repairs, and I think I can still do them, but I might have to have a word with a boat yard if all goes pear shaped, but most would want to lift the boat to do it, seems expensive for what could be 1-2 hours max job.

Just been out near Mundesley and the wind is really begining to kick off. Got my hand held anemometer out on our terrace (we are exposed) and got a 37mph gust mean is running at 22mph.

9 hours ago, TheQ said:

I tend to use xcweather which is meant for pilots, if anyone is going to get it right they will

http://www.xcweather.co.uk

Thank you for the link, I have saved it to my home screen, it's amazing that in Hunstanton looks fairly dry for Sunday, but some rain in Stalham, clearly it's not a weather issue at all, the boat's in the wrong place lol

Having been on the Broads for many years, I have learnt that the weather forecast is only a best guess, I was once told by a friend in Norfolk,  if you don't like the weather now, just wait another half hour.

Thank you to everyone who has made a contribution, I think we will find a few opportunities to keep dry while we are doing the work.

I normally just look at the sky, look for the direction of the wind, and what cloud is coming our way, it seems to work for us, we have watched dark clouds edge past us, and a mile away they are having heavy rain and we are in sunshine, that's Norfolk weather for you lol

I thought that the weather for pilots was always sunny, as you are above the cloud lol Having flown many times most turbulence is usually within the cloud.

Richard

3 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

Just been out near Mundesley and the wind is really begining to kick off. Got my hand held anemometer out on our terrace (we are exposed) and got a 37mph gust mean is running at 22mph.

Thanks for the info Chris, I just thought that you would have an anemometer. lol

Richard

• Like 1

I reckon Sunday might not be too bad now. 

Hoping to get the bbq out or I won't be eating though. 

As you say, Norfolk does seem to have lots of micro climates with rain in one village and 2 miles down the road bright sunshine. 

Normal for Norfolk!! Good luck with the repairs. 

1 hour ago, Baitrunner said:

I reckon Sunday might not be too bad now. 

Hoping to get the bbq out or I won't be eating though. 

As you say, Norfolk does seem to have lots of micro climates with rain in one village and 2 miles down the road bright sunshine. 

Normal for Norfolk!! Good luck with the repairs. 

Well my wife suggested I try one of the local boat yards, and due to my current health, We have decided to book it in on Monday, supporting local business, and protecting my vulnerable shoulder and other body parts lol.

Thanks to all, I love Norfolk weather.

Richard

• Like 1

Luckily the met office measurement's are in little ventilated white boxes, with the wind speed measured on a pole at 30 ft, many years ago l lived in a 3 storey barrack block which looked down on the met office site a hundred yards or so away. Their anemometer registered 126 mph!!!! The barrack block was steel framed, and swaying in the wind. The water in the loos could be heard sloshing about!! It couldn't be seen, the powered had long since failed.