My Avatar

Vaughan

I have finally thought of something for an Avatar, but I am afraid it may be too small and dark for you to read it.

It is the original river toll disc off the gunboat, Morning Flight.

Discy.jpeg

The toll was not much, but then it was only for a houseboat. The boatyard paid business rates (for no services provided, on the island) but we lived in Thorpe on the gunboat, paying nothing except that river toll. The only thing we had to do (or rather, I had to do) every day was to fill the water tank on the foredeck from a hose on the quay. Apparently, if we had attached the hose to the tank with a ball-cock, we would have had to pay rates to the parish council.

• Like 10

Now that's what I call an avatar, much better project for James Cameron than the lanky blue thingies!

6 hours ago, BroadScot said:

Yikes I was but a two month old kiddy winkle then !!:shocked 

I've been meaning to ask Iain...what was it like growing up post war? Were you ever concerned Napoleon would leave Elba and try again? :naughty:

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Timbo said:

Now that's what I call an avatar, much better project for James Cameron than the lanky blue thingies!

I've been meaning to ask Iain...what was it like growing up post war? Were you ever concerned Napoleon would leave Elba and try again? :naughty:

Well Tim I just about remember the guns going off outside Moscow!:naughty: That was 1812 BTW.:taunt:

Back in the REAL post war, I just about remember the NHS Orange Juice, rationing had just about ended, but, when we went to relations near Liverpool, there were still areas that were marked off from bombed out near Scotland Road. TEN YEARS later !

By then, half of Germany had been rebuilt with trains that ran on time! That was my memories of post war, the rest are too political:norty: for such a nice forum as the NBN!:)

cheersIain.

• Like 1

I took a look at the splendid nature reserve that is 'Morning flight' yesterday as I assisted Andy in taking a boat from the basin for repair.  She's a wonderful old ship wreck.  Love the Avatar Vaughan, do let me know next time your propping up the bar in the Buck and i will try and get over to share the load! Be good to have a yarn.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

May I use it, Marsh? Cracking snap! Not sure where I found it now but if it's yours then I humbly apologise,

I think it is on here lol..

http://www.captainsvoyage-forum.com/forum/windjammer-bar-maritime-interest/veteran-ships-about-ships-built-before-1970/1988-albion-the-norfolk-wherry

Early hours posting, problems of not sleeping, and taking your ipad to bed lol.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Viking23 said:

I think it is on here lol..

http://www.captainsvoyage-forum.com/forum/windjammer-bar-maritime-interest/veteran-ships-about-ships-built-before-1970/1988-albion-the-norfolk-wherry

Early hours posting, problems of not sleeping, and taking your ipad to bed lol.

Strangely enough I don't recollect having ever visited that site, more likely picked up off google and then manipulated. 

3 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Strangely enough I don't recollect having ever visited that site, more likely picked up off google and then manipulated. 

Yes I believe this to be the original, even the cloud formation is the same too. Google does show loads of pictures, back tracking to the original can be difficult, I dropped on this one fairly quickly though. 

I for one know more about where the name Jenny Morgan came from.

I am familiar with Captain Morgan though lol.

Richard