Dehumidifiers..... (help)

Ok, tried the bath idea, and still nothing.....

Email sent to XM Yachting (manufacturers) to see what they have to say..

I bet you're nice and clean now though!

There isn;t any packing material or plastic wrapping that needs removing before use is there? (Sorry to state the obvious)

No, but thanks for thinking tho !! and I even checked that the little rubber plug was in its correct hole for draining into the integral tank too !! Unusual for me to read the manual first, but I did this time !!

Strangely I kept the box that it was delivered in - preminition perhaps ? - a practice we don't normally do.

Luke, if the fan is running and the beast is cranked up full then because they work by chilling the air so the water condenses out onto the cold plate or coil and drains down to the tank you should be able to feel the exhaust air is quite cold if it’s working.

Luke, if the fan is running and the beast is cranked up full then because they work by chilling the air so the water condenses out onto the cold plate or coil and drains down to the tank you should be able to feel the exhaust air is quite cold if it’s working.

The first coil is cold to cause the moisture to condensate onto it from the air passing over it. There is then a second coil which is hot that the air then passes over this is the heat extracted by the compressor from the first coil so the air coming out should be the same or warmer than the ambient air due to heat from the motor, if the air was cold this would be air conditioning and would need an exhaust or remote unit to extract the heat to outside.

Jonathan :Stinky

Mmm, mine's just got the one set of coils and the air is quite cold coming out so I guess that's why the firm who make them went tits up, mind you it's worked fine for over 10 years now. Clearly the heat extracted must be going somewhere, I must have a closer look.

• 4 years later...

We have just purchased a dehumidifier and yes it works like magic but boy does it eat the leccy up.      Does this settle down after a while?

Not really, if the moisture level keeps returning. So long as there's moisture about it will continue to run.

Does yours have an outlet pipe you can run into the sink?

That's a very true way of looking at things! Although I knew there's a reason why I don't have a dishwasher! 

Although I am worried that these dehumidifiers on sale are cheap, poor quality and are really only designed for short use not to be left on all winter.. 

I'm probably just over thinking things though! Hope it calms down and does the job ;)

We used to have one when we had Avalon, a 38ft Aquafibre CC.

I put it on a 24hr timer to switch on twice a day for an hour each.

Outlet pipe into the sink and all was well.

Never used one at all when we had 'Sapphire' and never suffered

damp at all with the the exception of one time only when we had

condensation on the rear cabin roof lining.

We will have to see how this new one performs as to whether we

put the dehumidifier back in this year.

We use one every winter and let it drain into the galley sink which is about midships on TC. The boat furnishings always feel good and fresh and we have not experienced any mould problem during the 4 years we have owned her. The model we have came from B&Q and it is no longer available there. I seem to recall it has a 10 litre tank, but we always run it straight to the sink. we set it to run twice a days for about two hours a time. Hope this is of some help.

Simon

We use a desiccant type dehumidifier all year round to keep the boat dry and fresh. If the one you have has a humidistat setting, don't have it set to dry the boat out too much as you can start to get problems with woodwork.

Another tip to help cut down on the leccy use is to use a timer plug. We have ours set to run for about 6 hours a day which obviously helps on the running cost. You do need to make sure that the dehumidifier you have auto restarts after a power cut in order to use a timer though!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have run a dehumidifier for several years, set on a timer for 6 hours a day. I leave the curtains open slightly on the sunny side of the boat to use any heat from the available Sun to raise the temperature. It is important to also run a tube heater as they are more efficient with modest heat. Cover large vents in bright cloth so you remember to remove them when on board. Open lockers and cupboards to ensure they stay dry as well. Mine costs fifty pounds to run , with the heaters for five months.

Set it at 65% or normal to make sure the woodwork doesn't dry out. Good luck.

JawsOrca thanks for the warning but you could say that about any item in the house or on a boat.   My pals house burnt down because of the dishwasher but I still have a dishwasher.

INFO on dishwashers - Had a letter this week for a dishwasher at mothers house for risk of fire and not to use Hotpoint or Indesit dishwashers if the serial number is between 70600 - 91232 & 00101 - 00732. this number is located inside the door on the right hand side.

Simple don't use it and get a free repair if needed. (just glad I don't have to drag it out to check)

PM if you have one and will forward rest of info to get sorted.

I agree with you littlesprite.      I use the Fairy Dishwashing tabs which I wait until they are on special offer , wherever, which can save me up to £6 on a pack , which is rediculous,  someone is making a mint or what.    As you say even though they reckon they are all singing and dancing I still have to buy Dishwasher Salt and Dishwasher Rinse Aid and occasionally I do a 'deep clean'.    And and a very big AND for all of you who dont have to do the darn washing up each night , NO I do not want to go back to washing dishes.    It is a joy to be able to sit down like everyone else after a meal rather than spend ages cleaning the dishes and drying up.   So despite all of my moans I still will use my dishwasher which i replace about every 3 years.    I run mine when our electric goes on to 'night rate' and is cheaper.

Like all appliances I keep an eye on them when running anything.       I know I mentioned a pal whose house burnt down because of a faulty dishwasher and not wanting to give the impression that all of  my mates are  pyromaniacs ,  I had another friend whose flat also had a terrible fire in the kitchen and this was caused by leaving the kettle plugged in and the plug switched on.      So it can happen to any appliance.   Just luck of the draw.