A Rumour I Heard...

BB37

I was told that by the Harbour Master at Beccles Yacht Station.   I told Sue and she said that it was news to her and that as long as they held their heads above water, they would be carrying on.

They'd better not, anyway as I've booked Grande Girl 1 again for a week next September!!!!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Mouldy said:

I was told that by the Harbour Master at Beccles Yacht Station.   I told Sue and she said that it was news to her and that as long as they held their heads above water, they would be carrying on.

They'd better not, anyway as I've booked Grande Girl 1 again for a week next September!!!!

That is not the first inaccuracy that I have heard spouted from the HM at Beccles.    I read the other day someones write up on their holiday and his advice on the tides was completely out.     

• Like 3

Being a privateer, we have recently not been interested in hire craft bases, but I must admit, I just read the Summercraft website, it's bright and informative, I was quite impressed, it has a family feel, a caring side, I guess you would feel that you were not just a number.

We can't take friends and family on our Viking 23, but if we do want to bring them, then I would certainly consider Summercraft. From their site it looks as though the bookings are made via Hoseasons, no doubt, they might deal direct like most of the other hire yards. 

First impression.... Looks good.  Long may they continue. Clearly I have never hired from there, but in the past we have hired from many other yards, so next season, we may well consider them.   

A great opportunity to give these independents a chance.

Richard

• Like 1

Maybe an ever better idea would be that gossip about business closure should not be discussed full stop on the Forum. As a business owner who in the 90's had a problem just like this I feel for any business where gossip as to there continued operating,  expansion or cutting back is concerned. It can cause untold problems for them.

So maybe just maybe if gossip was consigned to the bin, a lot of grief could be prevented. A stand on unfounded gossip has to start some where.... why not right here.

Charlie

• Like 4

Can see Charlies point on this - but a slightly different angle......

If BB37 had heard this rumour at Beccles it may have stopped him hiring from Summercraft - he may have just thought I wont check with them and go to someone else. At least on the forum he asked the question and Mouldy's response has killed it stone dead, now he may go and hire form them. So in this context it may have saved them a booking. This is an example and I'm not suggesting BB37 had intentions of doing any of this.

It's a tough one, but baring these discussions will just move them to other forums, Facetwit etc where there may not be any knowledgeable folk who can post a sensible reply?

Keep them, but lets try and get informed and factual responses.

• Like 8

I am very pleased  to read all of your reactions on this thread. This is the sign of a solid and practical discussion forum.

When David Court was the managing director of Blakes, he often reminded us that a small business takes at least 10 years to build a good reputation - but only 10 minutes to lose it.

Edited by Vaughan
typo
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

I am very pleased pleased to read all of your reactions on this thread. This is the sign of a solid and practical discussion forum.

When David Court was the managing director of Blakes, he often reminded us that a small business takes at least 10 years to build a good reputation - but only 10 minutes to lose it.

Vaughan,

Dick and Gwen Sabberton were a delight to deal with there, many years ago. 

cheersIain

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BroadScot said:

Dick and Gwen Sabberton were a delight to deal with there, many years ago. 

Yes, and for those of us who were their friends and colleagues on the small yards in those days, they were the benchmark. You always wanted to present your boats as well as Summercraft, but you could never quite get there. They were always the best. 

• Like 1

This thread got me thinking, does booking through Hoseasons give you any financial protection should a boat yard go out of business from the time of your booking and your actual holiday?  Similar to ABTA After all, sums close to £2,000 could be involved here.

Are they obliged to find you an alternative, maybe from another yard?

Consequently, if you book direct with a yard, pay the deposit, then the final payment, just before your holiday starts, but a week before your holiday, say, they close down, how can you get your money back?

OK pay a small premium, and pay by credit card, and maybe your payment is safe, or pay by debit card, save a few £££ but no chance of a return of payment. Same with any payment to any business, there is always a risk.

We always pay most bills with a credit card, we have a Tesco clubcard  credit card, and earn loads of vouchers, but if there is a charge of a few % then we will evaluate the risk and maybe save a few ££'s and pay with a debit card. 

Richard

• Like 1