Bt Mobile On The Rivers

Siddy

8 hours ago, Spider said:

The whole technology vs tradition/basics question is very interesting and one which, being in the middle of a fairly comprehensive restoration of a 50's woodie, we're giving a lot of thought to. There is no simple answer, so far as I can see. Take our other boat, a 1930s Woods half decker. Structurally she's almost entirely original, apart from the odd modern stainless steel fitting here and there. But look at the running rigging - a lot is traditional , but there's a Harken ratchet on the mainsheet, two Harken air blocks on the jib clew (wonderful things), a dyneema soft shackle, modern ropes. I'm sure traditionalists would disapprove but they make sailing her so much easier that I really don't care.

But then our woodie is going to be resolutely 12v, no shore power, oil lamps in the saloon (but 12v leds as well), basic instrumentation, no inverter, no TV, no communication equipment apart from our mobiles. Inconsistencies? Yes, there are but it's what suits us - enough to be comfortable but independent of shore facilities for for a week or two. Others will do things differently and although I don't necessarily agree, if you want a whirlpool bath and a sauna (or even a trouser press) the decision is yours!

I'm faced with a similar dilemma with Royal Tudor.Built in 1960 but many of her original fixtures and fittings seem to be 1930's era. Once my better half Ellie became involved in the project this year some modernity was going to have to be introduced in the form of new cooker, sink, up to date toilet facilities etc. One of the joys of Royal Tudor for an archaeologist is that she demonstrates both tradition and technological advances in boating across six decades and earlier.

Telecommunications are going to be essential for me with Uncle Albert increasingly poorly. So I'm thinking of how I can include them...but hide them away.

Tim, one of the joys of modern communications systems is that they can be remarkably small. I had a good friend for whom ham radio was more than an obsession, it was a way of life. As a child I well remember his radio shack, a room with one wall a mass of 'essential' equipment from left to right and floor to ceiling. By the time he died some ten years ago that mass was compressed into a suitcase and that included the addition of computer equipment that allowed him access to the edge of the universe. His old sailing boat was suitably equipped but you would have been hard pushed to know it unless shown. The joy of wood is that you can have reversible panels and false linings thus retaining the appearance of original in an old wood boat. Enjoy the project, my old friend did,

11 hours ago, Spider said:

and although I don't necessarily agree, if you want a whirlpool bath and a sauna (or even a trouser press) the decision is yours!

And that just about say's it all. The owners/hirers decision, the owners/hires choice. To all you sailies out there who insist on 'having it real' and 'having it as the original' What are your sails made from? ... still, that's your choice.

1 hour ago, JennyMorgan said:

The joy of wood is that you can have reversible panels and false linings thus retaining the appearance of original in an old wood boat.

Ahh, you mean 'Fake it' :) quite right too, still, that's your choice.

There's only one thing about Nyx that was, is and always will be original (for as long as I have anything to do with her) She was built for pleasure. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

And that just about say's it all. The owners/hirers decision, the owners/hires choice. To all you sailies out there who insist on 'having it real' and 'having it as the original' What are your sails made from? ... still, that's your choice.

There's only one thing about Nyx that was, is and always will be original (for as long as I have anything to do with her) She was built for pleasure. 

Another reason that boats are she's!

The oldest an most reliable form of communication still used today is the MKI orifice combined wit the port and stbd listen outs. (Sadly not used enough today in social gatherings when phones are glued to palms).  Admittedly range the range is limited but the female species seem to have extended range compared to the male varieties :naughty:

Griff

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Egyptian cotton, of course! The old flax ones loose their shape even if they only smell rain coming!

As for faking it, another reason that a boat is called 'she'!

• Like 2

My Motor boat will look almost original outside but practically nothing will original inside. She's 47 years old, and replacing the chip board that some bits were made of is a necessity, the oldest in her class are now 53 year old.

So mine will be all electronic, Inverter,  Microwave, kettle, Hot plate, TV  (For SWMBOs Soaps) GPS speedo, LED lighting, motor and controls, DAB/FM Radio, CB radio.

Oh and although she's that age her hull and decks are fibreglass.

• Like 2