54,000 Emails!!!!

Polly

I set up my Virgin mailbox on my Mac today, next thing that happened was that it downloaded 24000 old emails with a note that it was going for 54,000. I have a setting that is supposed to delete old messages from the server so can anyone tell me what happened.  I did interrupt the download!:facepalm:

• Like 1

Ah...this would be the standard Apple contract coming down to you P! But it does sound as though that macro you were using did not delete anything. Sorry I'm out of my depth with fruit machines...the techy types will be waking up soon though!:facepalm:

• Like 1

My cousin has the same problem. Despite deleting emails regularly, whenever she sets up email on a new device, BT mail downloads every email she's ever received. My BT mail deletes when I delete it or after 30 days (I believe). But our computers are both set up the same. She could manually delete them on BT's mail website, but that won't stop them building up again. Can't find any setting to correct the situation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Polly said:

Divide by about 10 for the number of years they go back.

Wow!! Timbo's been receiving emails for 5,400 years! I knew he was interested in history, but now we know why. He's been getting emails from King Tut onwards.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Regulo said:

Wow!! Timbo's been receiving emails for 5,400 years! I knew he was interested in history, but now we know why. He's been getting emails from King Tut onwards.

I blame Maurice Mynah. He said he was not a prolific writer, turns out he was a 'medium'!

• Like 1

my bt mail is set to keep messages for about 6 months, you set it up by logging into the bt mail through your BT account, it is possible to set it up to delete the mails as they are transferred in to outlook / other mail reader, but I had to turn this off as I recieve my mail on up to 4 different machines, I have never had my mail try and download everything, that may be a setting in your mail service on the recieving device, on mine they will only download about 3 months worth, anything older is ignored. I have also had to disable the junk filters at my service providers end (bt mail) as I was losing too many important emails, its now filtered when it gets to my mailbox.

• Like 1

I thought I had set emails to store on the server for a month after deleting on my devices, but they don't appear to have then deleted. Thanks for the replies, even though Timbo got the blame for the email archaeology, it was I that got the deluge. :shocked

1 hour ago, Regulo said:

Hi, Gren, I can't locate any setting in BT mail that gives me an option to delete mails after delivery, or how long they're kept for. Any pointers as to where these settings are?

I set this up while it was still on yahoo, so I wont know until I have a look.

I remember in the late 90's and early 2000's moving email providers like they were going out of fashion - AOL, BT Yahoo, normal Yahoo, Hotmail, Lycos, Freeserve blimey even BlueYonder...

Then I got Google Mail, which I think was a time you had to know someone who had it and invited you to it and the big draw for the 'G-Drive' storage that went up slowly in capacity as you watched.  Companies have gone under, Yahoo has fundamentally been attached and pretty much anyone with them has likely had their email account compromised, Hotmail - they even have been subject to attacks and data losses but Google seems to have done a pretty good job to not suffer too badly in this area.

Now my Contacts, calender's and Email all live with Google - if I lost my phone everything so far as photos is with Apple iCloud and the rest is with Google within a few minutes it can all be downloaded again. Free exchange services is a boon too and I don't think Google will be going anywhere too soon.

I do know that BT email changed once they started using Outlook.  Our old BT account did delete emails from their server after a period of time so, for example, if you had downloaded from the Pop 3 server, messages would be deleted.  Since they moved to Outlook, there is a setting that allows deletion once you have taken the mail down to your PC but if you don't set this option up, your inbox will fill up (they do send a warning first)!

When I saw the "54000 emails" title, it reminded me of something that happened to me and many other btconnect email customers. Back in 2004, a mailing house server in Australia went bonkers and in the morning, my email was overloaded. as there were something like 2,000,000 messages trying to get on BT's server.  I rang and explained what was happening and although sympathetic, they refused to do anything about it.  I checked all the other email addys this mailer was being sent to and contacted one of the companies involved.  They were an ecommerce dependent business and suffering like crazy. Both of us called BT and conferenced the call so they then realised how serious the situation was and blocked the sender.

The email was offering extended warranty on cars!  I never took them up on the offertwoguns

• Like 1

hmm I have had a look, I only have 3 months (5400) emails on the bt server so it does delete after 3 months, but I cant find anywhere to change it. that said on my windows live mail there is a setting where you can change when it deletes the mails from the server - mine is set to delete them when I delete them in live mail - but ou can set it to delete after they have downloaded to live mail - or after 5 days, maybe I have set one of my other devices I recieve mail through to delete after 3 months, who knows.

:wave the most emails ive had is 1000 , but now after ive deleted them to the bin  i then delete the emails from the bin too on my phone, then they completely disappear ,  ive got mine to delete email after 1 week,  lori

1 hour ago, ranworthbreeze said:

I used to get between 3000 to 5000 a week before we got our current spam blocker now it is to a manageable figure of less than a thousand a week, it used to be a pain when coming back from holiday because I double manage all my emails.

Regards

Alan 

All I can say is you must have lots of friends :naughty: