Hickling Broad Appeal

Polly

We received a letter asking for a donation to help buy the last parcel of land that would establish the NWT as owners of the Broad, thereby protecting the wildlife aspect of the Broad. Obviously I want to also secure navigation which is not mentioned in the letter. This is not RSPB, to which I would have refused a donation. Does anyone know whether undertakings re. Navigation other than the voluntary pause in Winter have been given?

Just now, kfurbank said:

I could be wrong, but I thought the voluntary pause in Winter boating related to Horsey, not Hickling?

Yes  it was Horsey - and there were attempts to ban it, not a voluntary pause. . There were all sorts of threats about £20,000 fines , from guess who ?

• Like 3

I have held a view for a long time that navigation above Candle Dyke and Martham Pits will be restricted to oar, sail, electric and perhaps low power "clean" outboards.

I do not wish to start some long winded thread here but the right of navigation would be upheld, the green lobby would placated and peace could result.

Having said the afore I must now say something that is controversial. If NWT buy the estate which I think they will as they have access to certain funds in the short term in various trusts. Do you not think the sight of a noisy, orange, turquoise bathtub with a radio pumping out bass might not go down too well? 

Hickling is going through a change, let us all make sure we boaters  act in a way that can not upset, or bring a reason to try and change the status quo.

• Like 2

It is all a bit more complicated than  just a few mutterings from and on behalf of a few interested bodies who have wildlife at heart.

I believe , for what it is worth, the issue at Horsey may, in reality, be a fairly straightforward in that I am not sure anyone has a right to ban navigation. When the BA wanted to try this over winter many years ago, I think they realised other issues existed to override their objective and they backed away and as is stated, the exclusion is now only "voluntary".

At the same time, I am not in the least bit concerned that the NWT, or even the RSPB who own no land up there, will try to restrict navigation, either now or in the future. People continue to worry themselves over this issue but whilst everyone continues to worry about it, I see no evidence to suggest they either would, or indeed could. If you ever worry about  there being no "Broadland community" I am quite confident that in todays environment, that such an act would be well nigh on impossible.

Way back after the war, that was tried on at Blackhorse and failed and to be honest I believe it would again up  here.

I might be wrong but I doubt I shall ever see it tested!!

• Like 3

Just now, marshman said:

Hang on a bit - I might be wrong although to be fair to them, they have owned a fair dollop of the Broad since about 1948 and have done not a lot detrimental so far!!!!!

Yup, and they own the Deep Dyke, White Slea and Deep Go Dyke moorings, and (unlike a number of other landowners one could mention) negotiated a reasonable lease deal with the BA a couple of years back to allow those moorings to continue to be used; hardly the actions of an 'anti-boat' group.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Broads01 said:

"Do you not think the sight of a noisy, orange, turquoise bathtub with a radio pumping out bass might not go down too well?" 

Does that reflect your opinion of the hire boat community? 

Not my opinion but it could well be others on the reserve. On Christmas eve, when the visitor centre was actually closed I chose to walk to the beach via the east bank of the Cley reserve. I took shelter in the new hide at the beach end of the bank and was taken to task by two men who by their accents were not local for my yellow kagoule  and having no binoculars.

It was five days after my wife's funeral and I was not prepared to have it out with them but there are some strange characters among the conservation community.

• Like 3

Again I agree, there are not many families with perhaps a stay at home mother who can fork out nearly £5K for their accommodation before a single ice cream is purchased on their two week break. No wonder the all inc. Med break wins!

On 3/4/2017 at 5:19 PM, marshman said:

Hang on a bit - I might be wrong although to be fair to them, they have owned a fair dollop of the Broad since about 1948 and have done not a lot detrimental so far!!!!!

Apart from a lack of co-operation in regard to dredging and spoil disposal, that aside they have been first-class!

• Like 1