Professor Stanley Unwin.

As Timbo said in the time before. Oh yes!..Timbo thorkus off the Professorole most mordy with brekkers most tasty with mugly boaty coffee fromly Mauricey Minors thorkus and hot-buttery toastage all drippy down the fingerloders and crumbage on the deskage. Meantimes happily pass time-wastey ready all the postage and tweetage from forumloaders always under the affluence of wineloders, brewflame and distilloders. Alcofolly! As usuole, this involvey chucklemost in the throakus at wittily observale from gentlefole of NBNuoles.

March now all sunnysiders one day rainloder soakly to the underclabbers the next. Timbo looky forward utmost to boaty but suspishy that it will sneakly up with snowflakers trickly-how from the skybole if travelode down to Norfolk. Oh yes! Soon be summerloders gentlefoles and we grow in warmage, daffydibbles all now springly from the groundy, lambkin and twittly-bird all bleaty and tweety in the throakus. Deep joy!

• Like 6

Somewhere on the forum, I think it's here 

is some sage advice on preparations for winter I found.

Language is something I thoroughly enjoy. I don't mean, French and I don't mean the kind of English that passes for Shakespeare these days that the pompous **** of an English teacher I had in secondary school would stand and spout. I mean the language of people like Alan Bennet, Billy Connolly, Roy Clarke, Stanley Unwin, Kenneth Williams, Spike Milligan, Geoffrey Chaucer, Jasper Carrot and the real William Shakespeare.

Jasper Carrot and William Shakespeare? Oh you try the 'real' Shakespeare...with a Brummie accent and pronounce the 'e' on the end of most words and watch how Shakespeare suddenly comes to life, trips from the tongue and starts to make sense. As for Chaucer, definitely your literature with that one but watch out for the 'C' bomb.

Now if it's your actual, genuine language you are after...tea break in a Norfolk Boat shed. Such profound linguistic,comic genius!

• Like 1

What about Spoonerism? The Rev. Spooner was famous for swopping over some consonants in a pair of words to make a different meaning.

A typical example was "You have hissed all my mystery lectures. You have tasted a whole worm. Please leave Oxford on the next town drain."

He is also said to have given a lecture to an agricultural college by addressing his audience as "Tons of soil".

• Like 1

Following on from Timbo's comments on real Shakespeare, there are some really good videos on YouTube on how Shakespeare probably spoke by the linguistics expert David Crystal and his actor son Ben.  An example attached...

• Like 2

I must admit I have a soft spot for David Crystal as we're both originally from Holyhead.  I love the way he punctures a load of snobby attitudes about language and its use.  He moved back to Holyhead in the 80s or 90s and bought a house with a garden adjacent to my Mum's garden (my Mum's plot being a lot smaller than his!). Although I wasn't in Holyhead at the time I got the impression that he really engaged with the local community, spearheading a campaign to save one of the more prominent landmark buildings (which got turned into an arts centre that is very popular with the locals) and encouraging the creation of a drama group. 

A good guy!cheers