Westminster Attack

Timbo

Just now, Gracie said:

Sorry if I'm banging on about this but it's murder and terror plain and simple, live by their rules or face the consequences of being blown up, mown down or having your head hacked off

Another poor victim lost his fight for life last night, an elderly gent going about his business, another family that have to face a loved one never coming home again

It breaks my heart it really does

Grace

It wouldn't be so bad Gracie if the rules they want to impose weren't 2000 years out of dat.e I can't believe anyone raised in the civilised world would seriously advocate changing their way of thinking to just to appease and accommodate this scum.

Carole

• Like 3

Hi Carole, I didn't mean we should appease terrorists.  What I meant was that trends like Brexit and the things that Trump promised, such as building a wall between the US and Mexico, originate in our distrust of others, and seem to amplify that distrust of people who aren't 'like us'. It's like we're saying that we don't want certain people to be our neighbours. That tends to alienate people and make them more inclined to listen to those in their own communities that spout hate.  It's all a vicious circle.

Helen

I give up.  I don't seem to be able to convey what I'm trying to get at.  I absolutely agree that terrorists are not like us - but how did they get there?  Tragically, we'll never eliminate some forms of violence in our society, but it's seems to me that unless we try to understand why people get radicalised we'll just get more terrorists and more horrible acts that tear victims and their families' lives apart. I just feel that the Brexit/Trump routes are a bit too simplistic, and I have a real fear that they might make things worse for us in the long term.  That's all folks...I won't say any more on this topic.

• Like 5

How can the Tories and the majority of Labour MPs stand there and talk about wanting peace and ending hate when they voted to drop bombs on Syria? Went to war with Iraq, and have sent weapons to countries to kill others.

Thousands of men, women, and children have died under both the Tories and New Labour, yet peole seem unable to mahe the connection between that and terrorist attacks.....

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Bound2Please said:

Like I said earlier my Chruch is the Broads

I remember how my father used to stand in the Buck in Thorpe on a Sunday morning, with a pint in his hand, looking out of the back window onto the church, and announced that this was as near as he ever  got to God. He preferred to go to church where the prayer books have handles!

I think that this is significant, coming from a man who sang in the choir of Canterbury Cathedral as a boy but who came back from the War with no religion left in him whatever.

We seem to have forgiven the Germans and father always respected them as a very professional military, who came very close to winning! He never forgave the Japanese, however. Why? Because of their fanatical hatred.

It seems that this is what we are faced with now. Blind, fanatical hatred.

• Like 7

I think we all can see that these terrorists are motivated by blind hatred. Is there anyone out  there who can explain  to me what it is they hate so much and why? It's quite true to say they are not like us. When we see news reports of the dreadful things they do to their own citizens in particular women who have done nothing wrong, we're horrified and utterly replulsed but we don't go and blow them up or mow them down because of it,.

Vive la difference

Carole

• Like 3

Carole,

I have lived and worked in the Middle East and Asia for the last 20+ years, including 5 and a half years with a dedicated security company. I have seen some terrible things and these people just don't care about anyone, other than themselves.

Fortunately, there are many more good ones, than there are bad ones. 

• Like 10

I think that this topic has once again proven the calibre of the members of this forum. There are few subjects that can muster up stronger feelings that religion, yet here we are, discussing it without any teddies being thrown from prams. Yes the ice we skated on was thin, perhaps the thinnest of all yet we did so without blood pressures being raised or tempers being frayed.

Oh that says so much. :):):) cheers

• Like 11

Have purposefully not commented on this as having served in N.I. It brings it all back. The bottom line is that terrorists are indiscriminate killers. That use religion as a thin veil to justify their activities but if religion were  the reason their murderous acts would be selective.  If the latest attack I was based on religion  how did he know  what beliefs were held by the crowd he mowed down?  What is clear is that terrorism is incited and need by a small minority of nasty foul minded people with a view to achieving their own ends and agenda. That are not fit to live in a civilised society nor should they be allowed in one. 

Our shores have been under attack from terrorists for decades in varying forms and by varying factions. The question is will we ever get used to it or give in. The answer is a simple word......NEVER !!!!!!

Britain I am proud of you, always have been always will be. Was going to finish with an emoticon of a union flag but for some reason there isn't one........

Trev.

• Like 6