Westminster Attack

Timbo

Sorry Charlie but no, that is not what "religion is about" There are a few, very few, people who spout hatred in the name of religion. These people are wrong. It is quite certain that some of them firmly believe in what they say, and are prepared not only to kill for their beliefs but to die for them in the act. The tragedy is that others cannot get to these people and demonstrate the error of their ways. Sadly this rarely happens.

My standpoint is that whilst religion is man made and man taught, faith comes from within oneself and is always beautiful. It is never evil.

It is those people who are prepared to teach hatred and to encourage suicidal killings in the name of religion who are the evil ones. They are not always Muslims, it is just that at the moment Muslim extremists are those who have the highest profile.

I'm afraid it is wrong to hold "Religion" as responsible for the actions of such a small minority, not only wrong but can be more than a little painful to those of us who do hold such beliefs. 

After an incident like this, feelings run high and things can be said, but what we can all agree with is the sorrow that is felt for those who have suffered. I am sure that when the pain starts to subside from PC Palmer's family, it will be replaced over time with an immense feeling of pride. I do hope so, it is so well deserved. 

• Like 12

Sadly there is a tiny core of extremists cradleing a vile phlosphy of hatred. They are cowards who hide behind their "sheep like" followers who are duped into carying out their warped ideaologies.

I am grateful to our organisations that strive to keep us safe often risking their own lives.

The murdering scum bags that commit these attrocities shouldn't be given the privelege of being named and memories of their lives should be confined to the garbage tip ..... along with their pathetic remains.

My thoughts are with those affected by this latest attrocity and those commited world wide.

People like to moan about our police force BUT they unfailingly step up onto the front line to protect us for which I am eternally grateful.

• Like 6

I was on duty in uniform, in Belfast, on the day that we now know as Bloody Sunday. The Troubles were (and still are) a mainly religious conflict, at least in the early 70s.

Only the day before yesterday I, like many thousands of ex servicemen from the 70s, was walking around with a great big smile on my face after the death of Martin McGuinness.

Now, only a day later, we are brought back to the reality that civil unrest, in the civilised world, is still there and very near the surface. We are not at peace, I am afraid.

The difference with the civil war in N. Ireland - for that is what it was - is that the IRA may have been terrorist murderers but they were not suicidal. For this reason they could be identified and eventually beaten. Now that we are faced with fanatics whose own life is nothing, compared to their "cause", we are in a very difficult position. You don't even need a weapon any more - all you need to do is hire a car.

Our only defence is the bravery of our security forces, as we saw so clearly yesterday. We must show them our support by being determined to carry on our normal lives and not bow down to the menace of cowardly fanatics.

• Like 9

I too am appalled by the events that unfolded at Westminster yesterday but can't help wondering  if the heroic  police officer who lost his life due to being stabbed several times was wearing protective clothing. I have to assume given that the wounds killed him  he wasn't,,. It begs the question why not? He was serving in what must have  been perceived to be a high risk location. Reluctant as I am to strike a note of pessimism ,I honestly don't see how our security forces can protect us against this type of terrorism. They can watch these suspected fanatics till the cows come home,  a car, unlike explosives and bomb making equipment is an every day commodity and the procuring of such is simple and uncomplicated, unlikely to  attract  attention which is obviously why it has become the chosen weapon  While the terrorists  must know that their surviving an attack of this type is unlikely they think they are going to a  better place and have no hesitation in  carrying out a suicide mission. Insanity is notoriously hard to treat effectvely and that ,I believe is what we are faced with, that and downright evil.

Carole

• Like 1

1 minute ago, addicted said:

While the terrorists  must know that their surviving an attack of this type is unlikely they think they are going to a  better place and have no hesitation in  carrying out a suicide mission. Insanity is notoriously hard to treat effectvely and that ,I believe is what we are faced with, that and downright evil.

Carole

I have hope .............. We need to use the tools that are used to reach and radicalise these weak minds to spread the seeds of doubt and question the poison with which they are being infected.

I suspect, but don't know, that this is already taking place.

I watched this unfold on the news and forums yesterday with sadness, both that it had happened in the first place and for the victims.

I work in a multi racial, multi religious office, we have representatives from just about every religious and racial background, and without fail everyone here deplored the actions of the terrorists. 

The only people who try to attribute this to religion are either those who are perpetrating the terrorism, or those who want to use it as an  excuse to promote hatred against others, neither is to my mind worthy of being paid any attention, both are different forms of extremist action. Its my opinion that we should treat everyone else with respect and dignity, no matter their race, colour or religion.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, riyadhcrew said:

A personal opinion from me is that they should not release the name of this terrorist. His friends cannot then try to make him a hero to the general public.

Absolutely.  Slap a 'D notice' on it to stop the publicity that the perpetrators undoubtedly aspire to!!

• Like 4

Grendel, You're quite right this type of disgusting act has damn all to do with religion, but the fact of the matter is that unspeakable  atrocities have been carried out in the name of religion for hundreds if not more years. these people are deranged enough to believe that theirs is a noble cause and those of us who seek to disabuse them of that misconception are considered by them to be deluded.

Ironically, one thing this appalling episode has achieved is to steal the thunder of another  terrorist - the despicable Mcguinness. News coverage of Westminster has prevented the illustrious BBC from subjecting us to hours of eulogising that scum, which would have had my husband apoplectic with rage

Carole

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, addicted said:

unspeakable  atrocities have been carried out in the name of religion

Carole

Exactly, one of the reasons I refuse to partake of organised religion, another being the hypocrisy I see enacted by some of the people who do purport to be 'religious'. (like the lady pastor who paid her cleaner a pittance and well below the minimum wage - all while preaching her gifts to 'charity').

Religious differences have been used as the excuse for many bad acts, whereas most religions preach tolerance and acceptance, if they would practice what they preach, they would get more of my attention.

• Like 3

It would take a whole lot more than that for any religious denomination to get any attention from me! I remember seeing my dad chasing 2 religion pedlars, who he had found out had been pestering my nan while the rest were out at work,  down the front path with a garden broom! Religion was not a popular concept in my house for all sorts of reasons. Dad used to say it was a dictatorship masquerading as religion. As for tolerance I think there is more intolerance to be found in religion. than in practically any other walk of life.

Carole

• Like 3

People of this land in the main are strong  there sense  of good comes through. As I said many people  without  thought  for themselves   helped others .The cowards  who commit such crimes will never win.The sooner they understand  that the better 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, addicted said:

It would take a whole lot more than that for any religious denomination to get any attention from me! I remember seeing my dad chasing 2 religion pedlars, who he had found out had been pestering my nan while the rest were out at work,  down the front path with a garden broom! Religion was not a popular concept in my house for all sorts of reasons. Dad used to say it was a dictatorship masquerading as religion. As for tolerance I think there is more intolerance to be found in religion. than in practically any other walk of life.

Carole

Absolutely :clapcouldn't agree more:clap

• Like 4

I Am not religious. However I respect  people  who are.Which ever religion  they are.I firmly  believe  those that commit  crimes in the name of there believe  are just using that as an excuse. Those that have a faith  would never commit such crimes 

• Like 4

They can dress it up all they like and hide behind their beliefs and religion but at the end of the day all they are is barbaric, evil murderers who, as Eric said shouldn't be given recognition and become heroes in the world of terrorism

I have just been watching the news, seeing the people of London going about their day, makes you proud to be British

I'm with Charlie, the Broads is my religion

Grace

• Like 4

1 hour ago, YnysMon said:

I fear that Brexit and Trump will make the situation worse ...the seeds of terrorism are sown by alienating people.

It seems to me that the only way not to alienate these "people" is to give them appeasement  which would mean you living your life the way they deem right. .I don't  think you would fancy that much and I know I wouldn't.

Carole

• Like 2

Sorry if I'm banging on about this but it's murder and terror plain and simple, live by their rules or face the consequences of being blown up, mown down or having your head hacked off

Another poor victim lost his fight for life last night, an elderly gent going about his business, another family that have to face a loved one never coming home again

It breaks my heart it really does

Grace

• Like 5