Westminster Attack

Timbo

Huge amount of respect to the Police and public who assisted others without a thought to their own safety.

I have no idea how I would respond in a situation like this and I hope I never have to find out.  Pretty sure I would'nt stand there filming it on my phone though, what on earth are they thinking of?

• Like 9

This sent chills through me and brought back the feelings of the 7th July 2005 when news began coming in of what had happened then in London with bombs.

I was traveling at the time of the attack today - in the north eastern suburbs of London, but what was warming, was how people began to talk to each other on the Overground train I was on sharing what was coming in through from Facebook, Twitter and of course some way behind the usual news outlets. It felt very much how even us usually cold stony faced Londoners can share and talk to each other on a train when usually we do anything to not talk to fellow passengers.

Like many in London I think we felt it was only a matter of time before something happened, I am just hoping that this will result in no more deaths than the two that have been confirmed and my thoughts are with their families having to be told what has happened.  Also how brave the Police are in responding to such acts of terror and putting their training into practice without thought.

• Like 10

I have a friend who is currently locked in at parliament. 

Luckily he was not involved, but could have been. Not sure if he is getting home tonight!!!

i am hoping it was just a Lone Ranger with a grudge and not a taste of things to come. 

I am sure a few of us remember the days of the IRA bombings and I was just round the corner to one of those. 

• Like 8

Having lived and worked  all my life in London,sadly  days like this happen and as others have said it was just a matter of time .My thoughts go to those  caught up in this  madness.Also the Police and emergency services,members of the public in helping  those hurt The cowards that commit  such crimes will gain there reward  in hell.

• Like 8

I can only echo what everyone else has said. I grew up in London, worked in London and remember the days of the IRA attacks and how it felt to just get on with it because one never knew where they might strike next. The wars we fight today are different than those of other generations. Our brave policemen and policewomen put themselves in harms way. And innocent people get caught up in a fight that is nothing to do with them.

My thoughts and prayers are with everyone who has been affected by what happened today.

• Like 9

Sincere condolences to the innocent victims. I wouldn't wish this on anyone, but if these things are going to happen, it is probably as well that they do so at Westminster, so at least those who govern us get to experience directly, the effects of their policies.

Regards

Steve

• Like 2

I would just like to add my sincere condolences to the victims and their loved ones. Does anyone know if the poor lady pulled from the river has survived? How many families lives are in tatters and left heartbroken doesn't bear thinking about. I would just like to say how proud I am to be a Londoner, the bravery of the Police and Ambulance crews and the people of London is absolutely amazing

I am not a vindictive person by nature but I really do hope the despicable creatures that committed this atrocity rot in hell

Grace

• Like 12

That lady pulled from the river is alive but in a serious condition.  The bridge walls are fairly high so not sure if she jumped to avoid the car or fell in.  Either way she is lucky to be alive and hope she pulls through.

Sure I saw it mentioned earlier that it was the port authorities who rescued her.

• Like 7

Words fail me at times like this.

I can only echo what others have said and offer my condolences to the families of those innocent people who were killed and wish a speedy recovery to those injured.

I also add my thanks to our emergency services for the amazing job they do.

• Like 8

I have to be conscious of two things, one is sincerest grief for the victims, and two is that I must not allow my anger to turn to hate, because that is exactly what those who plan these outrages want. So I am with Siddiq Khan, we will not be cowed by terrorists.

• Like 15

I second Polly's sentiment. In a day of sadness I also feel an intense pride in our emergency services. Over the day I found new respect for one or two politicians of all sides who acted selflessly and in the interest of the public. 

Other than the atrocity itself I witnessed one vile piece of journalism that quite disgusted me. A report by Nick Robinson quite contrary to other factual reporting during the day claiming a machete wielding rampage. His source? One of the French school party lying on the bridge being treated for shock the group attended only by a lone policeman. He then finished his report with a shocking statement that the kids had 'come to Britain to escape the terror attacks in France '. I found his whole report and attitude repugnant. I noticed that the BBC did not use him other than that one occasion and the anchorman looked decidedly uncomfortable with the report. There's a reason I stopped listening to PM and Nick Robinson is that reason. 

• Like 6

Yes I agree,also many members of public ran to help those injured. Which shows how the vast majority  who think of others and not themselves. We need to think of that.Those that want to hurt others going about there life should  take note.Lets hope that something  like this does not happen  again 

• Like 4

Just seen Sky news, the car he used to mow down those poor people was a hire car, so very much a planned attack, it's beyond my comprehension how a so called human being can plan to kill innocent people, the five people that lost their lives were probably less than he hoped for but five too many none the less, my heart goes out to their families

Grace

• Like 6