Local Garden Centres

SwanR

I like supporting local businesses instead of buying from large chains. We need a few bits and pieces for outside the caravan. Rather than buying them down here and transporting them up with us, does anyone know of any recommended garden centres in the the Lowestoft / Oulton Broad / Great Yarmouth kind of area please?

Hi Jean

Not Great Yarmouth but there's a place called A.G Meale & Sons Farm Shop and Nurseries at Wayford Bridge, has a little coffee shop, also next to the superb Wayford Bridge Inn and river, a nice meal and a drink sitting by the river after shopping, bliss

Grace

p.s Pity they don't sell shoes lol

• Like 4

Not sure if it's still there but there was a place on the A12 southbound just after Hopton before you get to Lowestoft place called Midway. On a small lay-by  but I am going back 10 years. Just looked on Google earth  and it looks like it is still  there .

• Like 2

Just now, Paul said:

If you don't mind the journey Sutton Garden Centre (as the name suggests, in Sutton) is excellent. Run by real plantsmen.

If Graham and Claudia are still there thay are lovely people 

• Like 1

Is there not still a Garden Centre At Blofield near Brundall? It was doing a cracking trade when I last visited a year or so ago. Failing that, The Hardware shop in Brundall just off The Street is a veritable trojan horse of a place with all the stuff you would also find in a garden centre and some pot plants etc!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, VetChugger said:

Is there not still a Garden Centre At Blofield near Brundall? It was doing a cracking trade when I last visited a year or so ago. Failing that, The Hardware shop in Brundall just off The Street is a veritable trojan horse of a place with all the stuff you would also find in a garden centre and some pot plants etc!

Norwich Camping and Leisure?

https://www.norwichcamping.co.uk/

• 2 months later...

So with grateful thanks for all the suggestions here, we finally made it to the garden centre at Lound yesterday. Lovely place with very helpful and friendly staff. We found a few bits and pieces that we will go back for at some point once we've sorted out a couple of other things. What we did buy were a couple of hand painted ceramic tiles for hanging on the wall of our dining room at home. One of them is a scene on a canal with narrowboats. :)

And of course we had to check out their coffee shop which in itself is a handy place to know about. 

On 4/13/2017 at 1:54 PM, deebee29 said:

There's also Fairhaven Water Garden 

http://www.fairhavengarden.co.uk/home_mobile.html 

it's a good afternoon out and has plant sales, shop and tea rooms

We went there yesterday, for us the absolute & undeclared jewel in Broadland's crown. We thoroughly enjoyed walking the numerous paths through acres of water-garden. In our view not to be missed.

• Like 3

Fairhaven is also a way to pass an enjoyable couple of hours and get a snack and drink whilst MarineTec service your Honda, Mariner, Yamaha or Tohatsu. Early in the season the Candelabra Primroses are especially beautiful.

• Like 1

I need to make a list of places to visit. Sounds as if I need to put Waterhaven on there. Probably not too far from the brewery shop at Woodbastwick as well. Hubby has run out of bottles of Wherry. ;)

26 minutes ago, SwanR said:

I need to make a list of places to visit. Sounds as if I need to put Waterhaven on there. Probably not too far from the brewery shop at Woodbastwick as well. Hubby has run out of bottles of Wherry. ;)

Jean, just a few miles beyond Acle. I was glad of my sat-nav though, NR13 6DZ. I thought that I knew the back-ways and by-ways of the Broads pretty well but Fairhaven wasn't where I thought it was. My wife & I thought it a real gem, even though it's in Norfolk.

• Like 2

A couple of minutes walk and you could lunch at The Ship. The twin churches and ruins opposite are also worth a visit. There is a small monastery garden where it is veru peaceful to just sit in summer.

• Like 1