Broom Hire Fleet Wash

ExSurveyor

A question for the technical bods, 

I have noticed that the new Brooms hire fleet create one hell of a lot of wash in comparison to other hire boats at a similar speed.  The wash is very aggressive and throws the boat around a lot.  

Have they used a new hull design that is a lot different to older boats.  

I have also noticed that the new Richardsons boats don't cause this problem. 

Are Brooms based on a sea going hull ?

Now Mark, as per previous posts...Us Broom owners, demand the best we must be seen and ensure we are seen... therefore be thankful that you've been graced by the presence of a "Broomer".. cheers 

(I understand the new models are semi displacement hulls and not sure if they still are but the original ones had nice big engines in... I think Brooms got told to slow them down as they was given the rangers lots more work..)

• Like 4

The wash from some of the hire fleet is bordering on dangerous with no thought about slowing down when going past moored boats.  

I think it is about time the hand  over staff mentioned this or had a sign installed on board. 

Speed isn't the problem but the wash is. 

We are lucky in that our boat doesnt seem to create excessive amounts of wash but even so we always slow up when passing moored boats.   

When we had a river berth at the WRC there were often times the boat was thrown around by wash or by someone passing much to close which worsened the effect of the wash.  It wasnt always hirecraft either privateers can be equally as ignorant to this basic common courtesy.  I remember on one occasion one of the BA spoil barges passed to fast and to close and almost gave us a free lift out!

• Like 1

Just now, psychicsurveyor said:

The wash from some of the hire fleet is bordering on dangerous with no thought about slowing down when going past moored boats.  

I think it is about time the hand  over staff mentioned this or had a sign installed on board. 

A good workman should never blame his tools..... It's the idiot who uses them.....

The hand over staff are brilliant at brooms they tell you everything you need to know... So you can't knock them....

All the boats are fitted with speedometer.... so who ever hires them don't see the speed there doing they must be blind.... because it's slap bang in front of you... 

As your see from the pictures below of the speedo and the wash when I went across Breydon at a slightly high mega speed of 10mph.... 

I really do think your making a mountain out of a mole hill out of this... it' all comes down to who's driving any boat at higher speeds on the broads... you can't blame a boat for the wash when it's the plum behind the controls..

IMG_0134.JPG

IMG_0119.JPG

• Like 3

Scrumpycheddar,  

my question was about the hull design.  It is very apparent that the Broom fleet are producing considerably more wash at the same speed than other boats. 

It is NOT a mountain out of a mole hill when cups are bounced across the table because of the excessive wash.  Having had a river front mooring for over five years I think  can fairly judge acceptable levels. 

Occasionally we have stag crew heading for Norwich at speed,  these produce very little increased wash. 

Being close to Brooms it may be the case that the new crews are concentrating on steering and not seeing the results of the wash. 

Was wash mentioned in your handover ?

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, psychicsurveyor said:

I wouldn't have thought it was dangerous to be honest , yes the 35 is a modified broom 30 and sea going hull but I very.such doubt that a well respected naval architect got his sums wrong , the 35 comes in single a twin set up but only used as a single by brooms as a hire boat on the broads , the smaller 30 is a previous 29 and again seagoing , its most likely the person in control that's the problem , that said I'd be very surprised I'd wash wasn't mentioned at handover as its the biggest alert to BA rangers and is mentioned in the bylaws .

Perhaps the seagoing hull design explains the different wash,  it seems to move slower but build higher,  producing more movement of the boat and a more pronounced slap to the hull and quay. 

It was a case a shouting Brace brace brace to the grandchildren this weekend when one appeared from down river  twoguns

42 minutes ago, psychicsurveyor said:

Perhaps the seagoing hull design explains the different wash,  it seems to move slower but build higher,  producing more movement of the boat and a more pronounced slap to the hull and quay. 

It was a case a shouting Brace brace brace to the grandchildren this weekend when one appeared from down river  twoguns

I'd be interested to know how long this has been happening because the broom 30 was on the river in 2013 and the 35 the yr after as hire craft , one thing going for them they are very quiet especially compared to a RC 45 for example .

It has become worse over the past few years as the fleet has increased,  

It is the silent approach that can catch you out. 

When they are going at 4mph they are no worse than any other boat,  5 mph is noticeably worse,  when they go by at 6mph it gets silly. 

Part of the problem is the 6mph speed limit for this part of the river,  some see it as a target . just past the moorings it drops to 5mph.  

I will live with it,  the price I pay for not being in a marina it having a great view .

I might get the high viz jacket and the big infared camera out and have some fun. :RiverPolice

• Like 2

You can't single out one boat manufacturer for the cause of it...... Brundall is full of boats..... Lots are Private ones what are Designed and do go out to sea... So technically they would be doing the same them when there going along causing an almighty wash behind them at the correct speed... 

Two years ago I was moored up at Bramerton when a Rikos boat lucky gem bath tub came through flying pass rocking the boat spilling my beer.... I didn't think hmmmmm that boat is bad design look at the wash it causing.... I thought what a D**khead slow down... Its like I said before it comes down to the individual who's driving the boat... 

And yes Brooms did mention the wash on the hand over to me..... saying that's how the BA tells when Your speeding.....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, psychicsurveyor said:

When they are going at 4mph they are no worse than any other boat,  5 mph is noticeably worse,  when they go by at 6mph it gets silly. 

Part of the problem is the 6mph speed limit for this part of the river,  some see it as a target . just past the moorings it drops to 5mph.  

I will live with it,  the price I pay for not being in a marina it having a great view .

I might get the high viz jacket and the big infared camera out and have some fun. :RiverPolice

Iv got to agree with you there the 5 mph sign is in completely the wrong place and should be much further back before the ferry house pub , quite why it drops to 5 mph where the river gets wider and straight is beyond me , as for some seeing speed limits as targets that's so right but its not just hire craft that do that I often see private owners creating huge wash for no reason other than hitting 6 mph , I'm pretty certain that the area in question is in fact a rowing area too although they rarely row as far as that .

As far as a camera is concerned then yea why not its evidence but it does take away from the fun of boating and enjoyment of the broads but it does work .

2 minutes ago, ScrumpyCheddar said:

You can't single out one boat manufacturer for the cause of it...... Brundall is full of boats..... Lots are Private ones what are Designed and do go out to sea... So technically they would be doing the same them when there going along causing an almighty wash behind them at the correct speed... 

Two years ago I was moored up at Bramerton when a Rikos boat lucky gem bath tub came through flying pass rocking the boat spilling my beer.... I didn't think hmmmmm that boat is bad design look at the wash it causing.... I thought what a D**khead slow down... Its like I said before it comes down to the individual who's driving the boat... 

And yes Brooms did mention the wash on the hand over to me..... saying that's how the BA tells when Your speeding.....

I don't think that its a case of singling out a particular boat builder after all I believe the original poster has a broom .

Any boat will created wash when past its design speed and use s lot more diesel , your quite right as to wash being the biggest indicator you only need to look at reedham for example lots of boat especially heading Into the tide get the rangers speed paddle shown to them and they are probably not speeding where as those going the other way sometimes are but creating hardly any disturbance .

I think the problem is that boats need a reserve of power for some areas where the tide is strong and to reduce that could be dangerous ,   which brings us back to the person in charge at the time and that's the real problem , to an extent good education at hand over works but it only works to those that are listening .

6 hours ago, psychicsurveyor said:

When ever I take new owners for training on Ranworth Breeze or just showing people around I always comment that the 6 MPH limit should really be 5 MPH or less because of the moored boats in this area.

There is nothing worse than being moored up having a drink be it a brew or something stronger and the boat is being bashed against the mooring.

We have been moored at Brammerton  Green and have had the same effect, the trouble there can be that at high tide there is little protection from fenders, low tide you can use extra fenders.

Regards

Alan

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ScrumpyCheddar said:

Lucky Gem?

• Like 2

"Lucky Gem"......I know most of the Ricko's fleet inside out and never heard of that one, perhaps she should be renamed Lucky in that Scrumpy didn't catch up with them  :naughty:

Speed does seem to be more of a problem on the South, whether it be hire, private or whatever boat design, ignorance comes in all walks of life, to not slow down passing moored boats can be dangerous with little ones or less able bodied people on board especially. Many years ago we were moored at Brammerton, my Nan nearly went overboard because of someone speeding and too close, it's not just the wildlife and the bank erosion that's in danger when boaters ignore the speed limits

Grace

• Like 6

Well I think the answer to my question is that the Brooms fleet have a sea going hull that creates a different wash to traditional hire craft hulls and this is made worse over a certain speed against the tide.

As a smaller craft they tend to come closer to moored boats

They have a speedo rather than underestimate speed

They are fresh out of the yard and excited,  ( who can blame them )

I am not attacking Brooms,  just trying to understand what are the factors involved. The hire fleet is a very stylish addition to Brundall. 

The infared camera would be of no use unless I wanted to record the heat signature,  other than it is big and bright yellow.  

I find most crews will respond to a polite request to slow down. 

Speeding is not  a major problem,  just an occasional hazard .. 

• Like 3