Mooring Or Mudweighting In The South (near Breydon)

patersp

Good evening all! 

I'll be up on the Broads at the end of June with my father-in-law and brother-in-law and we will be setting off from Barnes Brinkscraft around 13:00.

Having looked at the distance charts, tide times etc. I have calculated that it will be possible to cross Breydon Water around 18:00 when it's slack tide at Great Yarmouth and then moor up or mudweight for the night before exploring the following day.

We have only been to the Southern Broads once before so don't really know the best place to stop overnight that is fairly close to Breydon.

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. Thanks! 

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum patersp. :wave

I love the Southern Broads but haven't ever crossed Breydon so can't answer this particular question. But I'm sure there will be other people along at any moment.

I'm sure you'll have a lovely time. :)

Thanks SwanR :)

Can't wait. It's my fourth year (their fifth). Words can't describe what an experience it is being on the Broads. Those who haven't been don't seem to understand. 

Driving into Wroxham, parking up at Barnes, then the pilgrimage to Roys for essentials. Love it!

The bro-in-law and I are regular viewers of the Captains Blogs and my wife and kids think we're mad (although they have got a soft spot for Robin & Shiela now).

• Like 1

As suggested Burgh Castle have 24 hour moorings just past Goodchild Marine on the Waveney. Or moor at Goodchilds on the pontoon. Or just before Goodchilds outside The Fishermans pub.

Or just off Breydon on the Yare there are free 24 hour moorings near the Berney Arms Mill. 45 minutes further up the Yare is Reedham with a couple of pubs etc.

I would say - dont mudweight. Tides can be strong.:Sailing

Thanks Alone1. We visited Reedham on our only trip to the South a couple of years ago. I always imagined it to be further away than 45 minutes. I'm guessing it will be quite busy in June but it looks like we have a few options if it's full. 

If can get under the bridge past Burgh Castle carry on to Herringfleet or Somerleyton. If you can't get under the bridge it's quite a long way round through the New Cut. 

As said no way will you mudweight in these areas. Well not unless you want to wake up somewhere completely different!!

breydon is always fun if it gets windy as well. 

Wroxham to Yarmouth is quite a long trip in one hop but quite do-able. Your estimate of about 5 hours sounds OK and you should be going down with the tide which will help. Add another 45 minutes or so for Breydon water and you may be ready to stop by the time you reach the end of Breydon. As others have said Burgh Castle or the Berney Arms would be the nearest. Reedham or St Olaves would be another hour although I believe that you can moor at Polkey’s Mill half way to Reedham. Personally I’d go for Burgh Castle or Berney Arms. Don’t moor on the pontoon at Goodchilds though as this is for services. I think the Berney Arms would be slightly easier. Not wishing to teach you how to suck eggs but please don’t forget to moor into the tide!  Also bear in mind the rise and fall is quite a lot in these places so allow enough slack on your ropes and be careful climbing onto the bank.

But above all enjoy!! The Southern Broads are usually quieter and well worth the trip.

• Like 5

Thanks all. Some excellent advice here. Our first thought was to stop at Acle or Stokesby on the first night, get up at dawn and head for slack water at 6:30. This might be the easier option - at least we haven't got to worry about the rise and fall of the tide so much plus we can have a beer or two! 

• Like 6

If it were me, I'd seriously consider that, particularly the beer bit! Don't forget it is near enough the longest days so you could probably navigate at 5 if you wanted! You don't have to hit Yarmouth bang on slack water, an hour afterwards wouldn't do any harm and you'll have a good push across Breydon although you might be slowed a little as you approach Yarmouth. Just depends if you are early risers!!!

• Like 3

All the above is good advice,Reedham gets full fairly  early.Try the ship or the Ferry Inn.Heading to Brundall the Reed cutter at Cantly .As others have said the tide in the south is stronger then many are used to up north.Dont mud weight  close to Reedham wait unroll you hit for example  Surlingham  broad

21 minutes ago, Baitrunner said:

Will you be looking for an electric hookup? Somerleyton and reedham have them as the closest point. 

No idea about the Burgh castle side though. 

There's one post at Burgh Castle and another one (or two?) at the BA mooring just before St Olaves.

Hi P,

We love it for an early crossing on the Sunday morning. Dinner in the Acle Bridge Inn (you need to book), an early night and then up at the crack of dawn.

Coffee and bacon butties on the way and you'll be surprised how quick you can do the run to Yarmouth.

• Like 2

I can recommend Polkey's Mill moorings.  We stopped there overnight to catch the tide for the next morning going north.  Some interesting history too about the different methods used to pump the marshes from wind power all the way through to modern day electric pumps.

We also caught site of an otter here too!

15 hours ago, patersp said:

Thanks all. Some excellent advice here. Our first thought was to stop at Acle or Stokesby on the first night, get up at dawn and head for slack water at 6:30. This might be the easier option - at least we haven't got to worry about the rise and fall of the tide so much plus we can have a beer or two! 

I really do think this is the best plan. Don't tire yourselves out by cruising for hours, you are on holiday, enjoy it.

Have a good time.

thingy.

I much prefer an early crossing of Breydon, as it can be magical, mist just rising off the flat mirror like surface of the river... 

As a courtesy, I would mention your early start to your immediate neighbours, they will appreciate it, and basically start the engine and go, don't hang around to have hot water and showers, do that on the way.

You might find your neighbours are doing the same early start, and if they are inexperienced, may wish to tag along too, or prefer to have an early wake up call lol.

As you are going down with the tide, take care when going around right hand bends in the river, the inside edge is rather shallow, so best stay close to the centre, but still on your side, if traffic allows.

Enjoy the trip, I would always plan my crossing to the Southern Broads on an early start.... Pure magic. 

Enjoy the trip.

• Like 1

Thanks Viking23. We've got the Rhapsody so it should be whisper quiet when we pull away :clap

We hired it last year and even when the generator kicked in it was quiet. Best to be courteous though and warn anybody close to us. Thanks for the advice on the right hand bends 

• Like 1

Interesting to read that you liked the boat so much that you booked it again for this year. That's always a sign of a good and popular boat. We used to do that with Swan Reflection and Fair Prince.