Balls Or Knobs Then!

BroadAmbition

6 hours ago, Regulo said:

They remind me of something in the long distant past . . . yes, clackers! Remember them? Two balls on a bit of string, the idea to hold the string at it's mid point, and get them swinging to knock together at the top and bottom of their travel. Who needs iPads and smartphones?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLHftISLNHE

Still have the bruises & chipped bones as a reminder :facepalm:not to mention the deafness, the noise in the school playground was horrendous.

Back on Topic, the knobs look great. Just need to get a boat then I'll have one.

Parrell balls, six at a time, them round things what holds my gaff to the mast, now that is inspired thinking. Six times £25.00, arghhh, any chance of a quantity discount? How many forum members are gaffers? Polly and Poppy spring to mind.  Pops, do you need new balls?

Parrell balls, six at a time, them round things what holds my gaff to the mast, now that is inspired thinking. Six times £25.00, arghhh, any chance of a quantity discount? How many forum members are gaffers? Polly and Poppy spring to mind.  Pops, do you need new balls?

I suppose I could ask 'My' wood-turning man to make smaller ones, 40mm seems a bit large for your requirements, his price would be the same though.  I would be supplying less oak to him so that would reduce a bit.  My drilling chap would still want paid the same to drill a smaller hole straight through.  No tapping required of course and would you accept them unfinished? - i.e just bare timber - you  could finish them to your own requirements

Griff

• Thanks 1

One of the wet-shed berth holders got in touch this morning as they sometimes do.  After concluding our chat I told him about the control Knobs and he has kindly ordered one (He is not a member of the forum)  I will put a notice up on the berth holders notice board tomorrow.

Griff

3 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

One of the wet-shed berth holders got in touch this morning as they sometimes do.  After concluding our chat I told him about the control Knobs and he has kindly ordered one (He is not a member of the forum)  I will put a notice up on the berth holders notice board tomorrow.

Griff

I would imagine that all sorts of thread sizes were used , that said they could be supplied with a pilot hole say 6mm or so so that the customer could drill out to the said tap size and tap the required thread , I doubt all marine control levers will be the same thread either although is far easier to find out the thread size than a classic car , just a thought :default_coat:

Day one - Orders received for five items with a request for one made from Mahogany.  Normally I would have said no to this but he is going to provide the Mahogany, and seeing as he is our neighbour in the wetshed (Lady Beryl) it seemed rude to refuse.  He will have a fairly long wait though as I'm not going into a fresh batch until the current stock is well depleted and I have 70 odd of the things! (Only 12 finished but another 12 now on the stocks)

Griff

Griff, you could of course coat your balls in West epoxy resin, one coat and the jobs done. Fix up a system so that your balls can slowly rotate as the resin goes off, that will prevent veils and runs in the resin. Speed the job up no end with an attractive, durable finish.

I could but that would mean starting again with some sort of contraption to keep them turning and trying not to waste any mixed resin, not to mention doing 12 at a time.  The current finished items do have an attractive durable finish as they are at present.  Thanks for your thoughts all the same,

Griff