Balls Or Knobs Then!

BroadAmbition

Just Danish oiled my bridge doors, they were a bit faded and Sun bleached. Look a lot better now ready to complement my new wooden Morse control knob. BA will be rendezvousing with us about 21.00 to do a light jackstay transfer on her way down the Ant. Better go get washed, I stink  of Danish oil............

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tjg1677 said:

Just Danish oiled my bridge doors, they were a bit faded and Sun bleached. Look a lot better now ready to :default_dry::default_beerchug:complement my new wooden Morse control knob. BA will be rendezvousing with us about 21.00 to do a light jackstay transfer on her way down the Ant. Better go get washed, I stink  of Danish oil............

Since Danish oil is most commonly applied with a clean cloth I seriously hope you have disposed of that they can and do spontaneously combust , ask me how I know ? Ie failing to read the instruction's on the tin , Cracking stuff though but lots n lots of coats required :default_beerchug:

21.00 hours. Royal Navy time and the RN had provided the basis of some of our finest traditions that our great country follows. 9pm is what you get on a digital watch, 21.00 - ships chronometer - GMT invented in Greenwich for the RN  and followed by the rest of the world.

Rule Britannia :594c04f0e761f_default_AnimatedGifVehiclessaily:

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

Since Danish oil is most commonly applied with a clean cloth I seriously hope you have disposed of that they can and do spontaneously combust , ask me how I know ? Ie failing to read the instruction's on the tin , Cracking stuff though but lots n lots of coats required :default_beerchug:

Rag disposed of, I set fire to it!

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, tjg1677 said:

21.00 hours. Royal Navy time and the RN had provided the basis of some of our finest traditions that our great country follows. 9pm is what you get on a digital watch, 21.00 - ships chronometer - GMT invented in Greenwich for the RN  and followed by the rest of the world.

Rule Britannia :594c04f0e761f_default_AnimatedGifVehiclessaily:

My point was that most members are not in the royal navy , and I'm fully aware that Yorkshire man John Harrison invented the marine chronometer in 1730 , and my warning about Danish oil is perfectly real , some marine substances need careful handling including gel coat and resins .

44 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

My point was that most members are not in the royal navy , and I'm fully aware that Yorkshire man John Harrison invented the marine chronometer in 1730 , and my warning about Danish oil is perfectly real , some marine substances need careful handling including gel coat and resins .

and steel wool- nasty stuff is that - one spark and its embers - how do I know, sharpening a chisel on the grinder when a lump of steel wool off to one side is suddenly glowing all over.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, grendel said:

and steel wool- nasty stuff is that - one spark and its embers - how do I know, sharpening a chisel on the grinder when a lump of steel wool off to one side is suddenly glowing all over.

I can well imagine , iv seen an entire joinery shop yrs ago  burned down including all my hand tools  due to something very similar .

Once carried machine shop swarf when in the merch . We had exactly 72 hours to get from port to port and were told under no circumstances to open the hatches until at our next destination. Very dangerous stuff and carried in bulk at 2000 tonnes, very likely to spontaneously combust due to the oily nature and the sheer pressure at the bottom due to the weight and density of it.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The supply and sale of Morse / Teleflex Oak control knobs is now in operation.

The NBN Shop has them in stock ready to order at £30:90

Ludham Bridge Boatyard have them in stock and are selling them for around £35 ea

I can supply them direct (Not posting them) at £25 ea

In each case the funds raised per item for the NBN is the same

Please feel free to bring these items to the attention of any other boaty forums that you might frequent as we are trying to fund raise for the NBN.  Thanks,

Griff

BA NBN 342.JPG

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Wildfuzz said:

Nice Knob!!! Throttle looks to be set well above 4mph though :4_joy:

1 hour ago, grendel said:

looks to be about 4.2 mph to me.

I did think at first that he was running the engine at a mooring, tut tut ...but on close inspection of the control knob, it doesn't look like his knob has been pulled out (to engage neutral that is).

I can't believe I am writing this.lol

If someone has two engines, or the old fashioned twin control, one for gears, one for throttle, as in life it is often common for one to be slightly larger than the other.

Richard

• Haha 3

On 03/08/2017 at 08:59, JennyMorgan said:

Ummmmm, I've heard about Danish oil . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. and you a policeman, tut tut! Gracie, down girl! 

More a Stockholm Tar man myself.

• Haha 1

Just to clarify, 'B.A' was in gear, about 1500rpm,  1200 rpm = 5mph,    1800 rpm = 6mph,  Full ahead is rated at 2'600rpm.  Being ever so slightly over propped we can just about scrape 2'600 rpm in deep water.  2'600rpm = 50hp so at full ahead we are indeed utilising all of her 50 horses efficiently.  Having a 2:1 reduction box, shaft speed is then 1'300rpm which is just about the max a greased gland can take continuously running, any more revs than that on the shaft and trouble is incoming

Griff