Simpson's Boatyard

Susie is on Facebook, and has just had a copy of a "like" from a post made on 30th May, which I repeat here:

"Since 29th May 2017 the boatyard at the Staithe, Stalham (Moonfleet) is now back under the management of Stalham Yacht Services and will be trading as Simpson's Boatyard. Business shall be as usual. We look forward to welcoming you."

I knew about this back in May but for some reason it seems to have escaped the attention of the forum. Pat Simpson is probably my oldest friend and took over the yard from his father in the 70s. He thought he had retired, when he leased out the yard, but has always retained the ownership. So now he is back! I understand that the "driving force" behind the business will be his son, Ben - who happens to be my God-son.

Excuse me if you knew about this already, but I can't find any posts about it on the forum.

This of course is great news for those who have been customers of Moonfleet and now know that they will still be able to have their boats maintained there in future.

They have a website - Simpson's Boatyard - and I wish them every success with this re-incarnation!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

While it may be sad to see Moonfleet no more, at least this little part of the Broads continues to go on - both as somewhere pleasant to stay and to take your boat for services. While if may be a different name, the location always sticks in my mind from my childhood perhaps as the the fact it was the first time (as Stalham Yacht Services) my Dad had booked a  boat other than a 'bath tub' and gone all out with a brand new 'blue chip' boat from them.

Here is a link to their new website: https://www.simpsonsboatyard.com/

• Like 3

This is Moonfleet's base as it was in 1964 when it was called Stalham Yachting Station and then later as Stalham Yachting Services I believe, but not sure of the date it changed.

If you look closely at the two 'Moonfleet photo's, you can see that the house in the background is still there when I took that last photo in 2005. Not been back since so not sure if it's still there.

The other photo is of 'Fiesta' which was our first boat on the Broads that year and from that yard.

Stalham Yachting Station - Copy.JPG

broads2.JPG

Moonfleet.JPG

• Like 6

This is a good news story I feel. It's a lovely location and that 2005 picture reminds me of how smart the Moonfleet boats always were. Much as I'm loyal to Richardsons, their takeover never felt quite right. The Simpson family have the business in their name at last, it's taken a year or two! 

• Like 3

Dear All

Phil is still there, still doing his usual fantastic job with great service, smile and a generosity of spirit. I am really pleased Malanka is still in good hands. Great to see the location back to its original ownership too.

Malanka will be there this coming Saturday morning. She will be receiving some more TLC from Phil before we head out later.

Great post lovely to celebrate good news and hopefully the start of a great success story. Now all they need are some bigger boats to really cap it off. Come on you know you want to....Can't beat the marketing power of a Chocolate box location opposite the Museum of the Broads and Vulcan too steaming up the view. I'm such an old romantic.......

M

• Like 3