Sad End For Cromer Carnival.

ChrisB

From the news this morning it seems that Cromer and Sheringham had to close down not only their pubs but much entertainment following troubles at the end of carnival week. 

It appears as the fair and carvival ground was dismantled a group of undesirables took the opportunity to set up camp with their caravans and RVs. Very sad for such a well run family holiday town. 

Guest ExMemberKingFisher

See this story has now reached the BBC and Sky news. ChrisB mentions undesirables, truth is this is a group of travellers who had moved on from Lowestoft. Essex has suffered a lot recently with groups pitching up on public land for a few days, intimidating the locals and then moving on and leaving their piles of rubbish behind for the local council to clear up at tax payers expense. Time the laws were updated to make it easier to protect our open spaces. Our local council has recently carried out an audit and we now have an invasion of concrete pillars guarding every bit of open green land.

1 hour ago, KingfishersTime said:

See this story has now reached the BBC and Sky news. ChrisB mentions undesirables, truth is this is a group of travellers who had moved on from Lowestoft. Essex has suffered a lot recently with groups pitching up on public land for a few days, intimidating the locals and then moving on and leaving their piles of rubbish behind for the local council to clear up at tax payers expense. Time the laws were updated to make it easier to protect our open spaces. Our local council has recently carried out an audit and we now have an invasion of concrete pillars guarding every bit of open green land.

I was careful with my words because I would not wish to cause a problem on the forum.

Some years ago we had a "Problem" on a shoot that I was then a member of and in front of TV constabulary I called them a name that starts with P. Sort of P×ki*s. Attendants had a laugh, but did say that I had actually made an "Ethnic Slur" .

My Local Authority learned its lesson after spending many thousands of pounds of ratepayers money evicting travellers from council land over many years. If the Council had spent a quarter of that money putting up height restrictors and the steel railings they would have more money to spend on our streets. and indeed on our local travellers site. They have now bitten the bullet and protected our  open spaces.

We have a large travellers site in the borough and in general the travellers who go there do not cause any bother and contribute to our council tax and pay for their pitch, in fact if they have an English accent you would not know they were in the same pub as you. Some of them have jobs in the area too. It is the people who do not want to pay for the pitch and council tax and just camp anywhere that are usually the problem. These are the people who give travellers a bad name. 

• Like 1

Guest ExMemberKingFisher

The as you likey term is a slang term used to describe travellers. The correct term for the traveller community is travellers. Whilst a lot of their behaviour is undesirable, it's probably better to use the correct term for them. A lot of the pejorative terms for travellers were actually instigated by the travelling showmen. To the ordinary members of the public they often confuse, or fail to see the difference between the travelling showmen who tour the fairs across the country and travellers who tend to collect and dump scrap, or do odd jobs for cash and generally leave a lot of mess behind when leaving land they have been illegally stopping on.

The travelling showmen see themselves as bona fide travelling businessmen with long and proud traditions and are often members of The Showmans Guild. They will often have Winter quarters where they see out the Winter refurbing and painting the various fairground equipment. To the average observer they can often look like the semi permanent or even illegal traveller sites such as Dale Farm.

To confuse the two to a genuine travelling show family is a major insult. 

2 minutes ago, KingfishersTime said:

To the average observer they can often look like the semi permanent or even illegal traveller sites such as Dale Farm.

Some of Dale Farm is a bona fidae  travellers site, it is only the illegal extension that is the problem. However, our local travellers site do not cause any problems for us locals as it is properly sited away from the built up area where a different way of life is enjoyed. In that way we all usually get on well. Dale Farm is situated very close to a built up area and friction does occur. Travellers and residents have a different way of life. Local Authorities should recognise this fact and site travellers sites using a bit of common sense.

• Like 1

We had 20 to 30 caravans on a local green area last week. They broke down a barrier to get in. Stayed for 5 or 6 days before moving on. But the council had to come in to remove all the rubbish and deep clean the children's playground which had been used as a toilet. Disgusting behaviour.

Sadly local councils no longer have to provide a minimum number of sites for travellers and the situation can only get worse. Any open space will be fare game. Farmers are now having to block almost every gateway to keep these'travellers' off their land. The Dale Farm incident was a ridiculous waste of money where a suitable planning application would have solved the problem. A quick look at google maps shows how the whole area is a hotchpotch of farm and industrial development and hardly an area of natural beauty and will be all swallowed up by Basildon in the future. Until the councils except that this is going to happen, if they don't provide somewhere for them then the rest of us will have to accept seeing big concrete blocks and restricted gate ways plus narrow entrances to  car parks in some of our much loved spaces. 

I can only guess the show ground security had gone home then and no one was on the gate????  :facepalm:

Colin:default_drinks:

p.s. Being a traveller trying to find a place for the night must be like trying to find a free mooring after 4pm on a Saturday :default_gbxhmm:

I was careful with my words because I would not wish to cause a problem on the forum.
Some years ago we had a "Problem" on a shoot that I was then a member of and in front of TV constabulary I called them a name that starts with P. Sort of P×ki*s. Attendants had a laugh, but did say that I had actually made an "Ethnic Slur" .

Lot of squit. It refers to 'Turnpike', where they spend a lot of their time.
Won't be able to calla them travellers next.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

• Like 2

Wish they would keep rolling down the turnpike.

Just had a senior moment...........

"WHEELS ON FIRE" Julie Driscoll with Brian Auger and the Trinity.

For those too young, google it, and listen. Wonderful.

Such a shame to do this at the end end of a great carnival week enjoyed by locals and visitors alike.We were there three times taking our two young grandchildren and there was a good atmosphere with no problems.Feel sorry for the businesses that have these frightening experiences.Suprisingly not one arrest has been made ,at this point ?

Guest ExMemberKingFisher
1 minute ago, Boaters said:

Such a shame to do this at the end end of a great carnival week enjoyed by locals and visitors alike.We were there three times taking our two young grandchildren and there was a good atmosphere with no problems.Feel sorry for the businesses that have these frightening experiences.Suprisingly not one arrest has been made ,at this point ?

The de Facto response seems to be, get the paperwork sorted, get the court order and then move them on, normally to just down the road where the whole cycle starts again.

Makes you wonder how different things might be if the Police had the powers and actually used them, to go in and lock the site down, then check all the paperwork for the vehicles and caravans, registration documents, road tax, insurance, MOT etc. Those with all paperwork in order are allowed to leave along with any rubbish they have accumulated, plus a warning for trespassing. Those with no or incorrect paperwork have the vehicles seized pending further investigation and charges with non payment of fines leading to the vehicles being crushed.

Most if not all the laws are there currently, why are the police so reluctant to use them on one section of the population?

In this case it's not that they come here looking for a home site, they come every year around this time, somewhere along the coast, most often in Great Yarmouth. They are coming for their holidays.

The excuses of not providing enough permanent sites for them do not apply on this occasion.  It is also the case a many of them have permanent bricks and mortar homes in Ireland. ( Note I'm referring to Travellers and Not Gypsies which are different)