The Authority Oversteps The Mark?

JennyMorgan

9 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

If this is an accurate version of the facts, it is disgusting.

Both sides of the argument have stated their respective cases so I'm happy to accept that the report is reasonably balanced thus is sufficiently accurate to allow us to draw our own, obvious conclusions. Also having friends who have had equally futile planning disputes with the Authority I can only support Vaughan's opinion on this one. The nails are being banged into BA's coffin, the sooner the better for an independent, judicial review.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, dnks34 said:

Isnt it about now that Packman releases a picture of himself smiling away and doing something devisive to boaters?

Is he keeping his head down for a change? He could be a worried man.....

I thought that he was already being 'divisive' enough!!:default_biggrin:

• Like 2

I had assumed that this planning row was over. I remember JB telling me, years ago, when the cabin was first sited, that the BA had problems with the windows. I haven't seen him a lot since leaving Horning, but to learn that years later, this argument is still running is madness. Just how much public money is the BA wasting? The building is apparently unsuitable for a conservation area? How so when it is surrounded by a tin shed, array of chalets, boat houses and a ruddy yellow crane? 

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, FreedomBoatingHols said:

The building is apparently unsuitable for a conservation area? How so when it is surrounded by a tin shed, array of chalets, boat houses and a ruddy yellow crane? 

I thoroughly agree. It's as bad as trying to suggest that Thorpe Island is a place of "natural beauty". It's a railway embankment!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The owners of that houseboat have been known to criticise the Authority. Just an observation! Whilst I accept that there is dross on the riverbank, people with absolutely no pride in themselves, their boats or their immediate surroundings, most houseboat owners simply want to be left alone to live their lives as they choose. Houseboats and liveaboards have long been a feature of the Broads, long before the Broads Authority was even thought about. 

• Like 3

I remember that boat and nice to see her in such good condition. If the owner is living on board then the photos show that he has certainly kept himself to himself and not spread his affairs all over the quay. 

I think you will find that she is a converted wartime RAF airborne lifeboat.

• Like 2

As our boat is moored in Wroxham, we have seen this houseboat on many occasions ,moored on either side of Wroxham bridge.It looks well maintained and very different and quirky,personally i think it adds something to the riverside area of Wroxham . Is it really doing any harm?

• Like 6

55 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

She's older than that, Vaughan. See here: 

Well well! Thank you for that - certainly looks similar to the airborne lifeboat. There were one or two of those on the Broads. I remember now where I used to see her, in the Dyke at Turners boatyard in Horning.

A great credit to her present and previous owners that she is still in such fine condition after all those years. Others have said that she actually enhances the view of the Wroxham riverside and I agree. Who cares, if the present owner is still using her as what she has been for at least the last 60 years?

A Norfolk Broads houseboat!   :default_icon_clap:  :default_icon_clap:

I would suggest that the BA planners don't need another "Yurt-gate" right now!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Vaughan said:

Well well! Thank you for that - certainly looks similar to the airborne lifeboat. There were one or two of those on the Broads. I remember now where I used to see her, in the Dyke at Turners boatyard in Horning.

A great credit to her present and previous owners that she is still in such fine condition after all those years. Others have said that she actually enhances the view of the Wroxham riverside and I agree. Who cares, if the present owner is still using her as what she has been for at least the last 60 years?

A Norfolk Broads houseboat!   :default_icon_clap:  :default_icon_clap:

I would suggest that the BA planners don't need another "Yurt-gate" right now!

I'm not so sure about that! 

The silly thing is that thousands sleep on boats every night of the week on the Broads, they are called holiday makers.

There are scores, if not hundreds of never go anywhere boats at Brundall & other places that, in practical terms, are house boats, week-end holiday homes, nothing more and nothing less and the BA doesn't blink an eyelid. 

All very silly really.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JennyMorgan said:

I'm not so sure about that! 

The silly thing is that thousands sleep on boats every night of the week on the Broads, they are called holiday makers.

There are scores, if not hundreds of never go anywhere boats at Brundall & other places that, in practical terms, are house boats, week-end holiday homes, nothing more and nothing less and the BA doesn't blink an eyelid. 

All very silly really.

Totally agree Peter I've never been able to understand why a hire boat that has different crews onboard for most of the yr is in anyway different to anyone living afloat especially those that cruise around to me it makes no sense at all , BA have admitted in the past there are not that many  that actually live afloat and most abide by the rule's yet to some at BA and others there seams to be a problem with living afloat .

31 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

Totally agree Peter I've never been able to understand why a hire boat that has different crews onboard for most of the yr is in anyway different to anyone living afloat especially those that cruise around to me it makes no sense at all , BA have admitted in the past there are not that many  that actually live afloat and most abide by the rule's yet to some at BA and others there seams to be a problem with living afloat .

I agree with you but I think this one goes rather deeper than that.

This is an iconic example of the type of boat that was prolific on the Broads in the days before and after the war and preserved in beautiful condition. She is part of our history. We preserve wherries and wind pumps, and here, someone has preserved this, with no grants and no discounts. If she is going to be thrown out of Wroxham, then she deserves one of the best placements at the Museum of the Broads in Stalham.

Old Norman Webb, the famous eel fisherman in Horning, who honoured me by calling me his friend, would have been glad to live and work in a boat like this. OK, this sounds a bit like "Coot Club" but it is an important part of Broads history. Why can the educated experts in the BA not see this?

People have been living, and making their living, in boats exactly like this for hundreds of years on the Broads. So what is the big problem now?

• Like 5

Ricardo, scenes like this one are the problem, nice enough people when you talk to them but the sprawl onto the adjoining land does not help their case one iota. Their values are not mine and clearly not those of an Authority determined to force their narrow minded agenda on to all and sundry.:

P9241754.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Ricardo, scenes like this one are the problem, nice enough people when you talk to them but the sprawl onto the adjoining land does not help their case one iota. Their values are not mine and clearly not those of an Authority determined to force their narrow minded agenda on to all and sundry.:

P9241754.JPG

Absolutely right Peter that is a lot of the problem , thing is its not BA land they do this on which makes it harder for BA to eradicate it , that said they would be interested in the tolls situation of that I'm very sure , even when I was in a marina the only thing that wasn't on my narrow boat was my motor cycle , I have always lived by the rule if it doesn't fit on your boat then you either don't need it or you shouldn't have it , using someone else's land is not an option hence since I have a wood burner my sailed dinghy gets used for carrying fire wood as I'm loathed to store it on land I don't have automatic right to use .

Ill admit there are far too many of this type around and hence get others a bad name but by the same token it gets right up my nose that supposedly educated types can't see the huge difference in behaviour , BA rangers on the yare especially leave me alone as they know I don't take the Mick , incidentally those 2 boats were resposable for me not using the wild moorings at Thorpe marsh's any more as I got sick and tied of NWT having to visit the site because of what was happening up stream of where I was , I had whole I was there a very good relationship with NWT and never a problem cos I didn't stay there constantly as not sailing drives me mad , however when this lot that are currently there that's when problems arose and I decided to distance myself every single owner got letter's from NWT including the owner of those 2 boats yet I never got one in 2 yrs of using those moorings on and off .

These types will ruin it for everyone  if those that call the shots can't recognise the difference between them and other's that respect their surrounding's .

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

Old Norman Webb, the famous eel fisherman in Horning, who honoured me by calling me his friend, would have been glad to live and work in a boat like this. OK, this sounds a bit like "Coot Club" but it is an important part of Broads history. Why can the educated experts in the BA not see this?

People have been living, and making their living, in boats exactly like this for hundreds of years on the Broads. So what is the big problem now?

It's a boat Vaughan. 

The educated experts in the BA dislike boats..........

• Like 2

Like many things on this Forum concerning the BA, there may be issues here that perhaps we are overlooking!!  The dyke in question is the one I believe, between Granary Staithe and the Hotel Wroxham - its not especially wide and perhaps each own half the width but with Heather moored permanently against the Hotel Wroxham, perhaps someone feels that then prevents others using what is after all, a public amenity for which the residents of Hoveton paid a lot of money!!!

The dyke for example is frequently used by Wherry Yacht Charter - presumably they can no longer do so  even on an ad hoc basis? Equally in the past I have often seen other boats moored in this dyke when the front moorings are full - does this mean this facility is no longer available??

I doubt very much whether all is necessarily what it appears.....!!

And the answer to the spoil problem, I believe, depends on where it comes from - anywhere on the Yare upstream of Brundall creates a real problem, or possibly even further downstream, but there are several places on the Northern Rivers where spoil has been deposited. Even so you do require a lot of different permissions I suspect, from everyone under the sun!!!

• Like 1