Kingfishers In Abundance

addicted

As the RSPB points out on their website Carole, the Kingfisher is very susceptible to poor river management. There were multiple pairs of Kingfisher on the stretch between Barton and Wayford. One morning I watched what must have been a recently fledged brood, around five fledgelings and two adults all perched in the same overhanging shrub.

The decline, on the northern broads certainly, is due to the works to remove shrubs from the banks and replant with reeds. Reeds and kingfishers don't mix. The way that dredging is, or is not, carried out with the dredged material no longer piled on the banks, and the removal of pilings means there are far fewer sites for the Kingfisher to burrow and no perches over water for them to hunt.

I've canoed the Great Ouse on occasion and the habitat is very much different to that of the Broads and what they are attempting to turn the Broads into. The Great Ouse is ideal kingfisher habitat, particularly in its upper reaches. On The Broads the quicker the pace at which we lose moorings the quicker the decline in the kingfisher will be. To be honest I don't have a clue as to what the agenda of the various wildlife and conservation bodies is, if I'm really honest I don't think they do either. The Broads Authority is almost totally ignorant and devoid of skills in land management. I think the main problem is that all those involved have a very limited understanding of the difference between conservation and preservation and their impact on the landscape and wildlife.

• Like 5

Tim (the Nun)

I think you almost hit the nail completely in but not quite far enough. Many conservation bodies these days and some charities (RSPCA to name one) have been shifted in their stance by the influx of people who not only don't have a clue about preservation or conservation or natural autogenic sucession (to get technical) but a clue about anything technical or scientific to any degree at all. Far too many degrees in Victorian American Literature for women (PhD) Ex leader of the Greens (nature loving ? )    

They profess to love something they haven't a clue about, or the understanding necessary to make meaningful decisions and policy.

The sort of person who puts humane mouse traps down not realising they may potentially decimate the shrew population which is already very small.

M

• Like 3

Last week I saw a pair of kingfishers at the Berney Arms and another 4 passing through the very lower reaches of the Bure. (No more that ten posts upstream of Marina Quays) 

I didn't realise that they fished and obviously thrived in salt or brackish conditions. 

My most common place for seeing Kingfishers is in the entrance to Black Horse Broad, although I have seen them at quiet times all the way down to the sailing club. There used to be a couple that would sit on the booms of the Boats moored at the sailing club and fish in the back dyke...