Advice Crossing Breydon

Moosey

Hi 

We are back on the broads this year, collect our boat on 30th September, our boat has an 8' 3" air draft.  

The times for going south look good we are thinking Sunday at 14.23 but coming back they are not so good and I could use some advice please.    Friday seems the most obvious at 5.56am but what if we can't cross and get stuck for getting the boat back.  Do we chance Thursday where crossing time is 17.39 and sunset is 17.23 so we would have to go early?

Help what would you do?

Thanks Polly.  That was my worry too.  Its the first year we have been where its a bit tight for getting back and i'm just imagining bad weather on the Friday and having to tell the boatyard we are stuck!  Think we might aim for Berney Arms Thursday night and leave our options open.

You don't have to cross at slack tide although this would give you near enough maximum space under bridges. We crossed an hour after slack to give us reasonably good crossing times all that meant was a crossing against tide on the way down but a good push up.

Also after advice we did not stop at Berney arms but at the free moorings before. Two reasons for this was that there are more free moorings than the two or so official ones at Berney and a warning that some bloke was demanding mooring fees at the arms.

• Thanks 1

What tide tables and sunset hours are you looking at?  You're saying you collect the boat on Saturday 30th September, so I presume you're returning across Breydon Thursday 5th or Friday 6th October?  Sunset is 18.21 or 18.19 those days, according to the tide tables published by the BA (that little yellow book).  Crossing in the early hours of Friday morning (to arrive at slack water at GYYS) would have you crossing Breydon before sunrise, which is at 7.02, so breaching both your hire conditions and the navigation byelaws, by navigating without navigation lights.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Cheesey said:

You don't have to cross at slack tide although this would give you near enough maximum space under bridges. We crossed an hour after slack to give us reasonably good crossing times all that meant was a crossing against tide on the way down but a good push up.

Also after advice we did not stop at Berney arms but at the free moorings before. Two reasons for this was that there are more free moorings than the two or so official ones at Berney and a warning that some bloke was demanding mooring fees at the arms.

Ok thanks, that might actually work for us, will have another look at the tables thank you.  Thanks also for the heads up re the Berney Arms free moorings!

20 minutes ago, Bobdog said:

What tide tables and sunset hours are you looking at?  You're saying you collect the boat on Saturday 30th September, so I presume you're returning across Breydon Thursday 5th or Friday 6th October?  Sunset is 18.21 or 18.19 those days, according to the tide tables published by the BA (that little yellow book).  Crossing in the early hours of Friday morning (to arrive at slack water at GYYS) would have you crossing Breydon before sunrise, which is at 7.02, so breaching both your hire conditions and the navigation byelaws, by navigating without navigation lights.

Yes you are correct with the dates.  I am using them from here http://www.norfolk-broads.org/tides/tide_report.asp and trust me I have no intention of breaking any navigation byelaws hence the planning I am putting into crossing now.

That's what I heard. Again just mooring talk I had at Reedham. I think the bones of the conversation was that it's a bit wild west there and the cafe is now closed and except for a very small area its not controlled by BA. I got the impression an element turned up and it got rowdy. The hirers felt isolated.

The free moorings before is only 10 minutes upriver so why not?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, deebee29 said:

We always find the Great Yarmouth yacht station staff very helpful and always double check our timings with them ( be doing so tomorrow)

call them on 01493 842794

Yep I think this is going to be my plan of attack, thanks so much!

4 hours ago, Mouldy said:

Taking a slightly more simplistic view, why spend so long South. Come back over Breydon earlier in the week to save the worry.

What leave the South that I love to go to the crowded North?  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Moosey said:

Hire from the south?  I know that there aren't too many yards, but there should be something suitable.

2 hours ago, Moosey said:

I wouldn't expect the north to be crowded at all early October. However if you're set on coming back as late as possible, I wouldn't take the Thursday evening option because then the only practical night mooring would be Great Yarmouth Yacht Station (which I guess you may be happy with in which case that's fine). I'd moot at Berney or Burgh Castle Thursday night and set off as soon as fully light. You'd be a bit later than slack but close enough to be safe. 

• Thanks 1

The BA have now taken over the Berney Mill moorings so you don't need to use the Berney Arms moorings. Half of the Burgh Castle moorings are closed as they are unsafe but in early October you shouldn't find it too busy anyway. The only problem we have found at that time of year is possible fog early mornings, we were once stuck at Burgh Castle for over 24 hours waiting for the next suitable tide and hoping it wouldn't be foggy again. :default_blush:

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Broads01 said:

I wouldn't expect the north to be crowded at all early October. However if you're set on coming back as late as possible, I wouldn't take the Thursday evening option because then the only practical night mooring would be Great Yarmouth Yacht Station (which I guess you may be happy with in which case that's fine). I'd moot at Berney or Burgh Castle Thursday night and set off as soon as fully light. You'd be a bit later than slack but close enough to be safe. 

I know what you mean about Yarmouth but it's the only option if we take Thursday.  We do usually try to avoid it where we can!  

6 hours ago, vanessan said:

The BA have now taken over the Berney Mill moorings so you don't need to use the Berney Arms moorings. Half of the Burgh Castle moorings are closed as they are unsafe but in early October you shouldn't find it too busy anyway. The only problem we have found at that time of year is possible fog early mornings, we were once stuck at Burgh Castle for over 24 hours waiting for the next suitable tide and hoping it wouldn't be foggy again. :default_blush:

Oh no, this is why I'm considering the Thursday late crossing, to be sure of getting back, you might have just made my mind up! 

4 hours ago, brundallNavy said:

Crossing time for Thursday is 17-40 so I would go for this and moor at GYYS for the night you won't have to worry about fog on Friday morning then.  Remember this is the time to aim to be at the yacht station. 

We will have to go early because of sunset times but yes I think I am convinced that Thursday is the way to go.   I'm going to give the yacht station a call for advice but I think mind is made up for Thursday now.  

Thank you so much to everyone for all your help, I really appreciate it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...