Just Had A Surprise

Sorry but I just cannot understand why people are terrified of spiders and mice. IMHO spiders do a great job for me as I hate flies. They are very welcome in my greenhouse as they deal with any whitefly without the use of pesticides. Mice are not nice in the house obviously but when I see one outdoors so what, it is just another of nature's creatures and about the same size as a sparrow. now who is afraid of sparrows?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, thingamybob said:

Sorry but I just cannot understand why people are terrified of spiders and mice. IMHO spiders do a great job for me as I hate flies. They are very welcome in my greenhouse as they deal with any whitefly without the use of pesticides. Mice are not nice in the house obviously but when I see one outdoors so what, it is just another of nature's creatures and about the same size as a sparrow. now who is afraid of sparrows?

An Ornithophobian!

• Like 2

I quite like spiders at home, there's been a big one walking about on my living room ceiling for about a week and I don't care.

On the boat though they are a bloody nuisance, as soon as you get sloping surfaces you discover spider sh*t, you never see t at home where everything is upright but add a slope and there's streaks of it every where, spiders on the boat are generally considered fishfood.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

One of the best things we ever bought was a spidercatcher from Lakeland. Hands don't have to get anywhere near the darn things and you can then deposit them wherever you want. We have one on the boat and after being at home for 6 weeks during the school holidays, the spiders had taken over the bathroom. I caught 15 large ones in one go in the spidercatcher, if I had had to use my hands  I would have gone spare! Only £9.95 and worth every penny. Catches all sorts of bugs, wasps seem to have taken over some spots and they got dealt with very easily.

• Like 2

We had just arrived for ablengthy stay with friends who live just outside cape Town. The first thing I noticed as we went into the house, high on the hall wall a creature that resembled a small lobster! It scared the hell out of me! My friend laughed indulgently, " Oh that's nothing to worry about, it's just a baby rain spider who arrived after yesterday's shower!" I was forced to announce I would not be going any further until it was  encouraged to vacate the house, there was no way I was going to sleep knowing that was rampaging around the place!

Carole

• Like 2

8 hours ago, addicted said:

We had just arrived for ablengthy stay with friends who live just outside cape Town. The first thing I noticed as we went into the house, high on the hall wall a creature that resembled a small lobster! It scared the hell out of me! My friend laughed indulgently, " Oh that's nothing to worry about, it's just a baby rain spider who arrived after yesterday's shower!" I was forced to announce I would not be going any further until it was  encouraged to vacate the house, there was no way I was going to sleep knowing that was rampaging around the place!

Carole

Oh come on now Carole, the worst it can do is crawl over your face as you are sleeping.    :default_ohmy:

• Haha 1

Forgot this happen last week whilst on the boat, I got up to the buys room and back in the cabin I rinsed my mouth and bent down to spit out and came face to face with this bloody big spider. I wasted a bottle of water on it and turned hot tap on. It wouldn't go down the plug hole so I put lid on the bottle and that fit in to hit it.

During Breakfast my sister ask if I'd had a shower through the night no and went to show her and point torch into plug hole and it's legs were still kicking. She came her chap to do the task of moving it.

• Like 1

If you want to live and thrive, let a spider run alive. That's how the old saying goes!

My real fear of spiders disappeared after a lengthy stay in the Australian rainforest. The Huntsman is a fearsome looking creature but I learned how to deal with them. When you have to live with them for a while and can't avoid them, you sort of get used to them. I still won't physically touch anything big though!

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Siddy said:

Forgot this happen last week whilst on the boat, I got up to the buys room and back in the cabin I rinsed my mouth and bent down to spit out and came face to face with this bloody big spider. I wasted a bottle of water on it and turned hot tap on. It wouldn't go down the plug hole so I put lid on the bottle and that fit in to hit it.

During Breakfast my sister ask if I'd had a shower through the night no and went to show her and point torch into plug hole and it's legs were still kicking. She came her chap to do the task of moving it.

There is no need for that. Just get a glass and a piece of paper, catch the spider and evict it. Sorry but I think spiders do a good job along with wasps (I have been stung by wasps) which eat a lot of garden insect pests, ladybirds that do the same and the list goes on. Just because you do not like the look of a creature it does not mean you should kill it.

Incidentally, I have not seen my resident spider in my house for a couple of days, I hope he or she is ok. When I first moved into my house there were silverfish everywhere. It was the first time that I saw silverfish as when I lived with my parents we never killed spiders, there were some enormous spiders running around but we never saw silverfish, they were probably on the spiders' menu. I carried on the family tradition of not killing spiders and guess what? I have never seen a silverfish in my house for over thirty five years, give me a spider any day.

Funnily enough, my sister is the same as me with spiders, she is not frightened at all. It probably comes down to upbringing  as my parents were not phased by spiders, mice etc. either. 

• Like 1

Has anyone noticed that big hairy spiders always come in twos?  If you find one galloping round the house it's odds on within a very short time another one will show up soon. There is absolutely nothing whatsoever and I mean really nothing that is sweet about them in any way!

CarolE

I personally have no problems in picking up and evicting all the spiders that decide to invade Wildfuzz Towers, however my Mum is the opposite and has various gadgets and sprays to keep said beasties out of her home. She did have a go a few years ago at being a little kinder to them, she sprayed them with hairspray, let them set and dispose outside via BBQ tongs, the theory being they would get damp and be able to scuttle  off to freedom. The thought of the spider getting slower and slower as it turned to stone, then being scooped up in metal tongs, chucked up the garden stiff as a board as "kinder" bewilders me. No she relies on the G-Tech Airam............