Arachninvasion! Seal Up Those Gaps!

addicted

Did anyone else read in the papers over the weekend that we are going to be subjected to a mass invasion of large brown house spiders? Apparently tens of thousands of the oversized blighters are heading for our houses on the back of a year full of ideal conditions for their breeding and survival. As if the approaching winter was not fun enough to look forward to now  we have this  little joy to anticipate.

CarolE (confirmed, card carrying arachniphobic)

Just now, ChrisB said:

My cockpit seating (cream in colour) has been stained the worse ever this autumn.

When we put the boat to bed for the winter, we cover the cockpit upholstery with  polythene dustbin  bags torn open to cover a bigger area or polythene dust sheets make a good job of it as well and are easy to tuck in for a good "fit".

Carole

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, addicted said:

Did anyone else read in the papers over the weekend that we are going to be subjected to a mass invasion of large brown house spiders? Apparently tens of thousands of the oversized blighters are heading for our houses on the back of a year full of ideal conditions for their breeding and survival. As if the approaching winter was not fun enough to look forward to now  we have this  little joy to anticipate.

CarolE (confirmed, card carrying arachniphobic)

As long as they are heading for houses then I'm OK :default_biggrin: , well not really they are already onboard and boy are they fast  .

16 minutes ago, AdnamsGirl said:

Yes ... but you need a damn good aim to be able to hit the buggers with them!

Yes but Carol (without the "E") have you not heard of the spider protection league they positively frown upon cruelty and the squishing of spiders you know. ..Answer take all the legs off one side then they can only go round in circles, that will keep carolE happy and the spider protection league happy no squished spiders and the ones that have been round are running round in circles like legless well yes spiders.

Charlie :default_hiding: 

• Haha 3

My friendly house spider seems to have deserted me, I have not seen him/her for a couple of weeks now.

However there are loads of them in my garden. There are enormous webs strung everywhere. They are really industrious little creatures, I wish the people I used to work with (lazy b*****s) had the same work ethic. :default_huh: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, thingamybob said:

My friendly house spider seems to have deserted me, I have not seen him/her for a couple of weeks now.

However there are loads of them in my garden. There are enormous webs strung everywhere. They are really industrious little creatures, I wish the people I used to work with (lazy b*****s) had the same work ethic. :default_huh: 

Your friendly house spider has probably gone out into the garden to seek a mate and when it finds one if asked the question "Your place or mine" will no doubt reply "mine" which will in effect be your house. Good luck with that!

CarolE

• Haha 1

Never be tempted to flush one down the bath plughole, they crawl up the pipe to the bath overflow and hide behind the grill, so they can watch you having a bath

7 minutes ago, Philosophical said:

Never be tempted to flush one down the bath plughole, they crawl up the pipe to the bath overflow and hide behind the grill, so they watch you having a bath

Now there's a creepy thought. I find it a bit tricky to climb out of the bath these days ,but that thought would have me out faster than  the speed of light!

CarolE

• Haha 1

Ha ha Conker's , jumped in the shower earlier and guess who's there to greet me only a 2 1/2 across spider , n yes I had my Conker's with me but I'll have to admit I didn't hit said spider with them , team spider has now got a new home , its stainless steel and nice and dark ( see I'm looking after it ) I call it the holding tank and I hope he's having a happy time in there :default_biggrin:

What's wrong with everyone? Spiders are our friends - without them we would be overrun with flies and I know which I prefer.

Just imagine what it's like for them living in a world where these giants want to squash you with the nearest flip flop!!

No creatures are evil - just hungry!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, macroft1 said:

What's wrong with everyone? Spiders are our friends - without them we would be overrun with flies and I know which I prefer.

Just imagine what it's like for them living in a world where these giants want to squash you with the nearest flip flop!!

No creatures are evil - just hungry!

Sid the cat is both evil and hungry!!!!!!!

• Haha 4

"If you wish to Live and Thrive,

Let the Spider run Alive"

This may be a familiar saying and in the Middle Ages spiders were highly prized. It was considered the height of good breeding and sanitation to have spiders in the house as they served the useful purpose of getting rid of any flies which carried many dreaded diseases.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, addicted said:

Your friendly house spider has probably gone out into the garden to seek a mate and when it finds one if asked the question "Your place or mine" will no doubt reply "mine" which will in effect be your house. Good luck with that!

CarolE

As long as they don't throw wild parties and get legless that's ok.  :55c8f94983015_default_happyparty:           :default_biggrin:

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Ricardo said:

Ha ha Conker's , jumped in the shower earlier and guess who's there to greet me only a 2 1/2 across spider , n yes I had my Conker's with me but I'll have to admit I didn't hit said spider with them , team spider has now got a new home , its stainless steel and nice and dark ( see I'm looking after it ) I call it the holding tank and I hope he's having a happy time in there :default_biggrin:

Don't forget to chuck a few flies in to keep it well fed.     :default_biggrin:

Took ou curtains home ( 16 on our Bounty 28  )  absolutely covered in spider spots,started thinking of replacing them ,but I tackled them with a toothbrush and then Diane soaked  them in the bath in a mixture of Arial and Ace then into the washing machine and virtually all spots gone.Since found Astonish spot treatment worked in with a brush on fixed fabric on the boat has had results . Wish we could find a good repellent? 

17 hours ago, Philosophical said:

Never be tempted to flush one down the bath plughole, they crawl up the pipe to the bath overflow and hide behind the grill, so they can watch you having a bath

That's no problem, it would only make him jealous.    :default_arms:   or her, happy.       :default_norty:

• Haha 1