Cheshire Cat. Gravy, Geoffrey, Gravy!

Wussername

Geoffrey.

You are the only person in my hour of need that I can turn too. Mrs Wussername, the best gravy maker in Norfolk was struck down with the flux over Christmas. It was left to me to do the gravy. A stock cube was purchased. Which regretfully failed miserably. It has to be said that guests were seen to surreptitiously feed the aspidistra in the hall with my gravy. The plant, it has to be said, has never looked better.

Is there a universal gravy, a gravy of all seasons. The multi purpose gravy.

If so please tell me.

Spud soup was good. 

Andrew

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Well a quick way is to use the meat juice and some of the veg stock then brown season and thicken with proper old Bisto NOT the instant but the old powder one you get in the box , skim the fat off the top and away you go not a bad gravy most people do it that way , or you go down the instant road but still use the meat juices . But if you can do all that why not just get the meat try on the ring medium heat add some flower stir well till its a past add a glass of wine keep stirring then add a pint off stoke keep stirring till it thickens taste for seasoning skim any fat off the top really not hard , hope this helps you....

• Like 2

I like to cut corners with my gravy, but don’t like the instant stuff, so have come up with this method...

l take about a tablespoon of fat from the roasting pan and put it in a large microwaveable jug (or if there isn’t enough fat from the roast I just use a tablespoon of sunflower oil) then l stir in about a tablespoon of flour, then gradually beat in just over 1/2 pint stock using a whisk, starting off with just a small amount of stock to avoid the oil/flour mixture going lumpy, and then gradually adding more. Use more stock if you like a thinner gravy.

Once all the stock has been added I put it in the microwave on high for a minute, then take it out and give it a stir. I repeat the minute in the microwaving/stirring step two or more times until the gravy comes Up to boiling point and thickens (don’t overdo this in case it boils over all over your microwave).

Usually I use the ‘Stockpot’  type stock stuff, but for Christmas gravy I used the same gravy method but made it with my own stock that I’d made using the turkey giblets simmered with herbs and veg, salt and pepper, and also at the last minute added some port and redcurrant jelly to the gravy. Yum!

I bet there are loads of good ways to make gravy out there!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Gracie said:

"I bet there are loads of good ways to make gravy out there!".

There is darlin take a trip to tesco's (other supermarkets are available of course) head for the gravy corridor, pick up own brand instant gravy mix.  Pay for it as leaving about 1/9d head home, put the kettle on, get a jug, pour in about 1/8th of the gravy mix, when kettle boils add water to taste.

There yer go Andrew so easy lol

Happy ne year to you.

Charlie :default_coat::default_hiding:

• Haha 3

I have never been a lover of gravy, but I have to make it for visitors. I mix the gravy in the bowl that I mixed the batter for the Yorkshire pudding, the residue thickens up the gravy, if my eldest visits then I make it with onions or onion salt (onion salt for quickness) Oxo cubs are OK but watch out for some of other stock products which have an high salt content which over seasons the gravy. 

Regards

Alan

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

43 minutes ago, Gracie said:

If Jay ordered me in the kitchen to fetch his gravy he'd be shaken and stirred alright, wouldn't be just poured on his head either :default_norty:

Grace

Where else can you pour it? Better be careful pouring gravy everywhere anyway, that would be an awful mess I'd have to get you to clean up

3 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

I think you meant to include that angelic type of emoticon Jay (just in case of misunderstandings naturally)...:default_coat:

(he, he)

Yep, you would think so :default_biggrin:

21 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

Well a quick way is to use the meat juice and some of the veg stock then brown season and thicken with proper old Bisto NOT the instant but the old powder one you get in the box , skim the fat off the top and away you go not a bad gravy most people do it that way , or you go down the instant road but still use the meat juices . But if you can do all that why not just get the meat try on the ring medium heat add some flower stir well till its a past add a glass of wine keep stirring then add a pint off stoke keep stirring till it thickens taste for seasoning skim any fat off the top really not hard , hope this helps you....

Thanks for the info.

Firstly. What type of flour. Cornflour? Plain Flour or Self Raising Flour, indeed does it matter.

Me dear old Mum used to have a large 3 inch deep tray in which she would pour a quantity of water. To the water she would add onion rings and herbs such as thyme. In the tray a rack would be placed upon which sat the Rib of Beef. And in the jolly old oven it went.

A small bowl was duly prepared into which was placed a small quantity of flour, old fashion gravy salt, Comptons, used to be called Burdalls and perhaps a stock cube. To this mixture was introduced  a small amount of the stock from the 3 inch deep tray.

A paste was created and by further additions of stock a viscous concentrated gravy was produced. To this mixture was added an additional quantity of stock, having been skimmed of fat, to produce a gravy which would not coagulate the starch content and provide a good old Norfolk Gravy.

A far cry from the brooding mass of dark brown gravy of the carvery, a gravy with little character or pedigree to embellish the Turkey, the Beef, the Lamb or indeed the humble sausage or meat pie.

Andrew

1 hour ago, Wussername said:

A far cry from the brooding mass of dark brown gravy of the carvery, a gravy with little character or pedigree to embellish the Turkey, the Beef, the Lamb or indeed the humble sausage or meat pie.

But it does make very good caulking. Make sure you apply it less than 4 hours before you launch the boat!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Talking about caulking can you remember those lazy hazy of summer when the old boats of times gone by would return on change over day. The decks would have opened up. And then it rained. Curtains soaked, bedding soaked, blankets soaked. The boat sheds would be full of the stuff being blasted by paraffin heaters to dry everything out before the holiday makers arrived mid-afternoon.

Yep, my gravy would have sorted it! If only to provide fortitude to the challenged. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wussername said:

Talking about caulking can you remember those lazy hazy of summer when the old boats of times gone by would return on change over day. The decks would have opened up. And then it rained. Curtains soaked, bedding soaked, blankets soaked. The boat sheds would be full of the stuff being blasted by paraffin heaters to dry everything out before the holiday makers arrived mid-afternoon.

Yep, my gravy would have sorted it! If only to provide fortitude to the challenged. 

Now boats are hermetically sealed and everything is soaked with rampant condensation. Gravy won't sort that!! All written in jest, of course :10_wink:

• Like 1

On ‎05‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 19:15, Wussername said:

Thanks for the info.

Firstly. What type of flour. Cornflour? Plain Flour or Self Raising Flour, indeed does it matter.

Me dear old Mum used to have a large 3 inch deep tray in which she would pour a quantity of water. To the water she would add onion rings and herbs such as thyme. In the tray a rack would be placed upon which sat the Rib of Beef. And in the jolly old oven it went.

A small bowl was duly prepared into which was placed a small quantity of flour, old fashion gravy salt, Comptons, used to be called Burdalls and perhaps a stock cube. To this mixture was introduced  a small amount of the stock from the 3 inch deep tray.

A paste was created and by further additions of stock a viscous concentrated gravy was produced. To this mixture was added an additional quantity of stock, having been skimmed of fat, to produce a gravy which would not coagulate the starch content and provide a good old Norfolk Gravy.

Andrew

To be honest that is how i cook , the old ways are best IMHO , and you can use any flower but not corn flower for this method hope this helps you kind regards ...

• Like 1