Here We Go Again! / An Apple a day

Labrador

42 minutes ago, marshman said:

Indeed the Sotshole owner did "win" but the boardwalk is not used regularly - indeed it is roped off with Private signs all over it. Seems a lot of money spent just to use it at bluebell time!

But what's wrong with that? It was there own money. 

12 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Large white workshop tents on the bank of the River Yare by any chance? 

No, in fact I was thinking of another private individual who we done work for. The man in question bought a swamp, had it cleared, spending quite literally hundreds of thousands in the process, just to be refused to permission to grass one of the islands. GRASS. Not some enormous house, or mooring basin. He wasn't doing it for any commercial reason, just wanted to tidy it up for himself and the other residents (including some BA workers) down the road. Apparently grass isn't natural there.....

BA should be grateful for individuals like these not fight them, they are few and far between. 

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, riverman said:

But what's wrong with that? It was there own money. 

No, in fact I was thinking of another private individual who we done work for. The man in question bought a swamp, had it cleared, spending quite literally hundreds of thousands in the process, just to be refused to permission to grass one of the islands. GRASS. Not some enormous house, or mooring basin. He wasn't doing it for any commercial reason, just wanted to tidy it up for himself and the other residents (including some BA workers) down the road. Apparently grass isn't natural there.....

BA should be grateful for individuals like these not fight them, they are few and far between. 

Doing things independently of the BA is not to be encouraged, only their officers can possibly be right. Well, that's what I think!

I don't know, once again we're into BA bashing but I don't think it's all as simple as that. It's difficult to say too much without giving the game away, suffice to say the BA residents, some quite senior, thought it was good what he was doing. It reminds me of our political system, BA being the party (whichever one) in power and everyone else being the opposition. The opposition can have the best idea for something that would be generally beneficial but the party in power can't be seen to take those on board in fear they'll lose face. If BA are good at one thing, it's keeping themselves in charge. 

3 minutes ago, Hockham Admiral said:

Image may contain: text

Off topic or what? (Definitely hats off...........  :default_dunce:)

Not really, from what I have seen on here, most threads at some point have a bit of BA bashing as light relief at some point. 

Back onto to topic though, are we saying the pancake mix is adhesive for the shingles or are we cooking them to create shingles? If so, I'd recommend a slightly different mix and make American pancakes, I would imagine the thickness would help with heat loss and overall structural stability. There again, I have never known a canoe to carry a spare so I suspect you have bigger problems than the advantages and disadvantages of bicarb in pancake mix, and the inherent benefits to heat loss when making roofing shingles. 

I suppose my comment can be seen as BA bashing but quite simply I would see it as an observation based on experience. I've had a similar conservation with Cally at the BA, namely that folk should be able to have personal opinions and aspirations as to how things should be done, e.g. grass rather than reed. Boxes have to be ticked, that I accept, but having sat in on a number planning meetings over the years it has become abundantly clear as to who will be right, even when logic & common sense dictates otherwise.

1 hour ago, riverman said:

Not really, from what I have seen on here, most threads at some point have a bit of BA bashing as light relief at some point. 

Back onto to topic though, are we saying the pancake mix is adhesive for the shingles or are we cooking them to create shingles? If so, I'd recommend a slightly different mix and make American pancakes, I would imagine the thickness would help with heat loss and overall structural stability. There again, I have never known a canoe to carry a spare so I suspect you have bigger problems than the advantages and disadvantages of bicarb in pancake mix, and the inherent benefits to heat loss when making roofing shingles. 

Ah just goes to show that even the chief mod can have his post hidden (by himself after second thoughts)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Philosophical said:

Isn't that a temporary structure though?

I now hear it has been there for some time now, not long enough to grow roots I hope, since they would normally of that nasty galvanised steel J bolt variety; which once established is very difficult to remove.

2 hours ago, Aboattime said:

I remember many years ago that The New Inn at Horning had a lot of trouble with the BA over the way they did the front garden leading down to the river.Personally i think they did a great job and the garden looks brilliant.:default_2gunsfiring_v1:

The landlord at the Waters Edge (Brammerton) had the same problems.

Regards

Alan

5 hours ago, ranworthbreeze said:

The landlord at the Waters Edge (Brammerton) had the same problems.

Regards

Alan

I really can't see why BA would be anything other than happy with what happened to the river frontage at the waters edge , its more inviting , its cleaner , and above all its saver , what on earth could they complain about .

Its incredibly sad that Lee is selling up he's put an awful lot of time and money Into the waters edge and deserved to reap the rewards for much longer .

8 hours ago, Ricardo said:

I really can't see why BA would be anything other than happy with what happened to the river frontage at the waters edge , its more inviting , its cleaner , and above all its saver , what on earth could they complain about .

Its incredibly sad that Lee is selling up he's put an awful lot of time and money Into the waters edge and deserved to reap the rewards for much longer .

I shall also be sad to see Lee go, but I suspect the rewards are why he is selling up. Having spent a lot on the refurbishment and improved the annual turnover tremendously there is probably little scope for further improvement. As the building is om a lease he can either maintain the current level of turnover, but each year as the lease becomes shorter the business would be worth less to sell as a going concern, or sell now when it is probably worth the most. Give it five years or so and with the shorter lease and probably a growing list of items that need replacement / refurbishing /  redecorating etc. it is surprising how quickly a flourishing business can become almost worthless again. Having said all that, for what he is asking, anyone going in there faces exactly the same difficulties and is very unlikely to make the maths work.

14 hours ago, EastCoastIPA said:

Speaking of which, it would appear it is still up for sale sadly.

https://rightbiz.co.uk/buy_business/for_sale/198116_norfolk.html

I first spoke with Lee just before he opened and he was quite clear about his intentions then and selling up early didn't come into the equation. I can now see that EastCoastIPA's words above make good sense but it does go on to say that ill-health is the reason for sale.

14 minutes ago, Hockham Admiral said:

I first spoke with Lee just before he opened and he was quite clear about his intentions then and selling up early didn't come into the equation. I can now see that EastCoastIPA's words above make good sense but it does go on to say that ill-health is the reason for sale.

I think since Lee first moved in there he has found it a lot more difficult to recruit and keep good staff than expected due to the remote location. It has also been quite an uphill struggle in other ways to. Intentions have a habit of changing. There are other issues as well, but not for me to say in open forum or any where really.

Hope he finds a buyer soon and moves onto what ever he wants to do. Hopefully this is also not the start of an unsteady future with multiple landlords for what has become not everyone's cup of tea, think more marmite,  but still a very good destination restaurant.

• Thanks 1

It's good to have a mix. The Yare Inn, The Coldham Hall bar area and Sonia's are all dog friendly I believe. Due to the location and lack of a community around it The Waters Edge needs to be a destination that the people of Norwich want to head out to all year round. Drink drive laws mean a destination pub / restaurant is more likely to work if food, rather than drink focussed and then the food needs to stand out.

I read somewhere the other day that Benedicts Norwich, a restaurant I used to go to under the previous ownership quite a lot has just been awarded three AA Rosettes.