BA Positives

JennyMorgan

5 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

The Broads has been promoted as The Broads, and sometimes Broadland, since about 1900. Done quite well out of it too, witness the crowded '60's. The Broads, a member of the national park's family, says it all really.

Sorry Peter, no it doesn't, it says nothing, but what are YOU trying to say?.

37 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Sorry Peter, no it doesn't, it says nothing, but what are YOU trying to say?.

You surprise me, John! The Broads has long been labelled and known as The Broads. As a destination title it has served the area well for over a hundred years. The Broads identity is established, it has pedigree. For rather less time the Broads has been linked with the national parks family, a situation that in general terms has not been seen as a threat and has been accepted. Why meddle with what's good?

Does re branding work?

I think Pepsi is accepted as one the major examples where it did not, maybe followed by the massive expense of changing British Airways to "British" , please I would like invite nominations for re branding exercises that did work.

8 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

Branding is a tool business uses to sell its product it has no relevance to the duties of a body who's sole purpose is the administration and preservation of a designated area.

Fred

I think we all understand branding, but my question is when has a re branding exercise been successful; say for example from "The Norfolk Broads" to "Broads National Park" .

Branding is a tool business uses to sell its product it has no relevance to the duties of a body who's sole purpose is the administration and preservation of a designated area.
Fred

It’s relevant to an authority whose remit includes promotion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnK
Not wishing to split hairs but I think you will find the remit is to provide an environment suitable for promoting the area for public enjoyment not the actual responsibility to promote the area a subtle but significant difference.
Fred 

Depends how you read it I guess.
The thing Paladin shared a few days ago definitely read to me like the BA is responsible for promotion of the Broads.
I realise not everybody read it that way but I did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How can you question Pally - he will be back in a minute to quote you chapter and verse on why you have all misunderstood!!!!

I’m not questioning him or commenting on what he said. I’m presenting my own understanding of the quote he posted.
But it’s ok, I’m married so very used to being wrong
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, batrabill said:
  • Promoting opportunities for understanding and enjoyment of the special qualities of the Broads by the public

Quite right but I'm not sure that it was ever intended that bypassing legislation would come under the heading of 'promoting opportunities' but then that is how the man works, and why so many of us distrust him.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JohnK said:

So you agree the BA is responsible for promotion of the broads?

It has taken on the duties of promotion in a way that I do not believe was ever intended by the author of the Act or the understanding of the term as was promoted in the House of Lords. 

It has taken on the duties of promotion in a way that I do not believe was ever intended by the author of the Act or the understanding as was promoted in the House of Lords. 

I understand you think they’ve misused those powers but you agree they should be promoting the broads?

I ask because one argument I’ve seen is (if I understood it correctly) ...

BA can only use the term National Park for marketing.
BA’s remit is not promotion or marketing
Therefore BA can never legitimately use the term National Park.

But if we accept that BA’s remit includes promotion that argument doesn’t hold water (bad pun intended) does it?

42 minutes ago, batrabill said:
  • Promoting opportunities for understanding and enjoyment of the special qualities of the Broads by the public

32 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Quite right...

29 minutes ago, JohnK said:

So you agree the BA is responsible for promotion of the broads?

JohnK, what don't you understand about the quote from the 1988 Act that batrabill posted. It does NOT say the BA is responsible for "promotion of the broads", it says it is responsible for promoting OPPORTUNITIES FOR UNDERSTANDING etc.

Simple English. There is no need for you to re-interpret it and put it in your own, totally incorrect, words.

If you can't, or won't, understand the legislation, you won't understand the arguments. Or are you simply trying to playing Devil's Advocate?

JohnK
As you say it is a question of interpretation, assuming your interpretation is correct how do you justify closing information offices that the public used while wasting money on the unnecessary replacement of signage.
Fred

I don’t think I have tried to justify the closing of information offices have I?

If you’re asking me why the BA did that my guess would be that they’ve closed offices to reduce costs (perhaps because of people wanting lower tolls?) and that they’ve changed the signs because they believe their remit includes promotion and they believe rebranding as an NP helps with promotion.

Whether that’s true I have no idea.

JohnK, what don't you understand about the quote from the 1988 Act that batrabill posted. It does NOT say the BA is responsible for "promotion of the broads", it says it is responsible for promoting OPPORTUNITIES FOR UNDERSTANDING etc.
Simple English. There is no need for you to re-interpret it and put it in your own, totally incorrect, words.
If you can't, or won't, understand the legislation, you won't understand the arguments. Or are you simply trying to playing Devil's Advocate?

All I’ve presented is what I believe it says.
I get that you don’t agree.
I believe I understand the words but I’m man enough to accept I may be wrong.
I’m not playing devils advocate, I’m saying what I believe. Is that only allowed if I believe the same as you?
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JohnK said:

I don’t think I have tried to justify the closing of information offices have I?

If you’re asking me why the BA did that my guess would be that they’ve closed offices to reduce costs (perhaps because of people wanting lower tolls?) and that they’ve changed the signs because they believe their remit includes promotion and they believe rebranding as an NP helps with promotion.

Whether that’s true I have no idea.

I didn't say you had I asked how you justify maybe I should of said how do you  justify it when they are a prime part of any form of promotion, yes it was cost cutting but nothing to do with tolls they are funded from a different budget.

Fred

Promoting opportunities for understanding and enjoyment of the special qualities of the Broads by the public

I’m assuming these are the exact words. Am I correct?
If so, how do you promote opportunities for the enjoyment of the broads without promoting the broads?