Green Book Says National Park

JohnK

35 minutes ago, JohnK said:

I genuinely didn’t expect to see this but in the Green Book foreword National Park is mentioned several times (well twice).

What do you expect when the Chairman, Brian Wilkins, is a member of the Broads Authority and is Vice Chair of the Navigation Committee? 

18 minutes ago, Bobdog said:

Goes to show that the loud voices on here who think they’re the voice of the boating community probably aren’t.  They certainly don’t in any way speak for my interests as a boater.

The loud voice's ?? I think you'll find you and several others have been just as loud although with a different outlook on things of which you are entitled .

So do you accept that its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other and every is entitled to their opinion or do we let this situation on at least half a dozen threads now continue.  Or do we agree to differ ? .

Attacking others is beyond ridiculous especially given that both party's want the same thing ie the broads to be the magical water land it already is , no fancy names just a beautiful place to be .

40 minutes ago, Bobdog said:

Goes to show that the loud voices on here who think they’re the voice of the boating community probably aren’t.  They certainly don’t in any way speak for my interests as a boater.

It is the people who think that their voice stands for nothing that are probably guilty of the largest crimes in the world today. Watching all the suffering and abuse and doing or saying nothing at all. I welcome discussion on opposing views. I also think that great recognition is given to the voices on this and other forums......

2 hours ago, JohnK said:

I genuinely didn’t expect to see this but in the Green Book foreword National Park is mentioned several times (well twice).

Are you just trying to wind people up? Genuine question.

The context in which the Green Book foreword uses ‘National Park’ is quite correct.

i.e. “Keeping the BA’s navigation account and functions separate from its National Park budget is necessary to ensure tolls are spent on relevant work, dredging, river rangers, tree clearance, moorings and so on.”

And

“We have pressed the BA hard for greater transparency of Navigation and ‘National Park’ expenditures and better reporting of targets met and cost efficiency.”

On every occasion the area is referred to it is either as the Broads, Broadland or the Norfolk and Suffolk Broads. Your post has done the NSBA a great disservice, as has the totally unwarranted criticism of its chairman, Brian Wilkins. I shall view all your future posts with great scepticism.

• Like 6

Are you just trying to wind people up? Genuine question.

No.
I was genuinely surprised which is why I said I’m genuinely surprised.

I shall view all your future posts with great scepticism.

I feel you already did. You don’t seem to have much time for people who disagree with you.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So do you accept that its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other and every is entitled to their opinion or do we let this situation on at least half a dozen threads now continue.  Or do we agree to differ ? .

I agree it’s six of one and half a dozen of the other.
I also agree everyone is entitled to their opinion.
I don’t agree the discussion should stop though. Everyone is entitled to participate, or not. To read the discussion or not.
I’ve had my mind changed by the likes of JM etc in several of the issues surrounding this discussion. To me that’s what debate is all about.

Your post has done the NSBA a great disservice,

I feel that’s very unfair.
I didn’t express an opinion about the NSBA (of which I’m a member and I like what they do).
They did use the term National Park and I was surprised by that.
  • Like 1

Personally I stand right behind Paladin's fact based comment. I also view the cover of the Greenbook as being very telling, promoting the Broads for exactly what they are, the Broads. I see absolutely no justification whatsoever for criticising the NSBA on this issue at this time.

• Like 2

Looking at the first half dozen posts in this thread, it is evident from the posts immediately following the OP that it was thought that the NSBA, in particular the chairman, Brian Wilkins, had used the term National Park in relation to the Broads. I thought that myself at first, and I was already mentally writing my letter of complaint, and considering cancelling my membership. That was my first reaction, but common sense told me to check the facts, before jumping to any conclusion and making a comment.

There was no suggestion, before I demonstrated the context, that anyone considered that Brian Wilkins had used the expression National Park in a perfectly accurate and acceptable way. Quite the reverse.

Why anyone should be surprised at how he wrote is beyond me. The expression National Park is commonly (if somewhat incorrectly) used in relation to government funding, as opposed to other sources of BA income, and it is that to which Mr Wilkins was referring.

There seems to be a degree of back-pedalling going on, but having 'shot the fox', I'll leave it there, I think.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I must be missing something.
I just read this thread again.
I can see a bit of mild criticism of other members here but I can’t see any criticism of the NSBA or it’s chair.
I certainly intended no criticism of either in my post.

I doubt the fox is mortally wounded, he’ll live to fight another day! The hunter can now retire again, temporarily anyway. When all is said and done, this thread has probably served to clarify things to others who may have been surprised at the term NP being used in the green book. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohnK said:

I must be missing something.
I just read this thread again.
I can see a bit of mild criticism of other members here but I can’t see any criticism of the NSBA or it’s chair.
I certainly intended no criticism of either in my post.

Just the same old, same old JohnK. 

Rudeness presented as ‘facts’. 

I doubt the fox is mortally wounded, he’ll live to fight another day! The hunter can now retire again, temporarily anyway. When all is said and done, this thread has probably served to clarify things to others who may have been surprised at the term NP being used in the green book. 

Well put.