So You Can Go Swimming!

JennyMorgan

2 hours ago, vanessan said:

Does that mean you are intending to be somewhere on the Waveney on 1 July?

Would I do a thing like that :15_yum: keeping out of trouble is more my style :default_beerchug:

33 minutes ago, dnks34 said:

Had any of us had any plans to be on the Waveney on the 1st of July we will probably be changing them now! 

I agree but doesn't that feel like being run out of town ? 

2 hours ago, dnks34 said:

Tons of space out there but I imagine the costs involved in putting on the safety support may be higher but then im only guessing. 

Well the pier to pier race  always had the inshore fishermen up in arms, as all pots, eel fykes and nets had to be removed up to 1 1/2  miles seawards of the shore. Not only that but no water sking wind surfing or fishing inside the 1 1/2 miles, So it totally disrupted for over 24 hours if you add it all up ..

Sounds like the actvity can cause just as much disruption on the salty side to. 

I wouldnt so much say run out of town more unwelcome for the day or as if they would prefer it if we all just went and did boating somewhere else for the day! 

2 hours ago, Ricardo said:

Would I do a thing like that :15_yum: keeping out of trouble is more my style :default_beerchug:

It was because you said you may wear your horn out in July, I took that to mean you would be on the Waveney. Perhaps offering your services as a safety vessel?:default_stinky:

12 minutes ago, vanessan said:

It was because you said you may wear your horn out in July, I took that to mean you would be on the Waveney. Perhaps offering your services as a safety vessel?:default_stinky:

Thing is I use the upper yare quite a lot n I go through a lot of horns :default_biggrin: :default_smiley-char054:

1 hour ago, JennyMorgan said:
Dr John Packman at the Broads Authority is the man to contact with your views, for or against. May I suggest that you stress the safety issues. 

One would hope that either Dr. Packman himself or one of his advisers has been following the thread.

15 hours ago, Bound2Please said:

One glaring question that niggles me here. Are the WRC allowing the start there for a financial gain ?... If so is that gain worth it to their customers camping, moored, staying in rooms and yurts etc. Has thought been given to all these people?

I wondered when someone might pick up on the WRC's part in all this! They are a holiday tourist centre pure and simple, so I guess they would be pleased to receive tourists! It does seem like a potential disruption as I guess they would be fully booked in July. It doesn't mean they are running it though.

Let's consider Coldham Hall and the Yare Navigation Race. The pub has nothing to do with the organising, but they give up all their public moorings, gardens and car park to play host to the entire show. No charge is made for this - or it certainly wasn't in my day - so one can't complain if the pub does a roaring trade out of the weekend.

By the same token, one can't criticise the Angel at Henley for profiting out of the rowing regatta, nor the Swan at Horning, out of the 3 Rivers Race. For them, these events are just good days in the season's calendar.

• Thanks 1

Vaughan dont get me wrong here, I have nothing against any commercial operation making morning out of what ever. I wish them all good luck, what did niggle me and still does this event organisers trying to put it over as though it was just for fun. When they had registered a LTD company for this event, I have no qualms about any one making money good luck I say to James, he hasnt tried to hide from any financial gain he may or may not make.

Back to this so called race, on safety grounds this is utterly the wrong place to be holding it, there are plenty of private broads etc they could have hired without boats and anglers to negotiate, but no this would have eroded the organisers profits hence lets use the river at zero costs.

Also I for the life of me cant see how this will increase Norfolk tourism in the slightest very few people will get to see it any way.

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, Bound2Please said:

Added to say, I was thinking more about the people booked in last year for this year, long before this was ever thought of

Perhaps their plight will be the same as those innocents wishing to go boating on the Waveney on the day!

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Bound2Please said:

there are plenty of private broads etc they could have hired without boats and anglers to negotiate,

I had thought about that but I fear that such places, like Gt Hoveton, would be too shallow, muddy and weed-grown to be safe to swim in. And again, no spectator access. At least Whitlingham, as a gravel pit, has deep clear water!

You know, the more I think about this, I think the event could be held on the upper Yare from Trowse Eye to Surlingham Ferry, and it may not be too late to change the venue.

It would start at Trowse from the BA's own facilities, car park and moorings.

There is public access all down that bank as far as Whitlingham bend, to watch the start.

There are several places such as the Commissioner's Cut, and Whitlingham marsh on the north bank, and also lots of public space at the Woods End.

Quite a few other places are accessible, by negotiation with local farmers.

The race would be held on a falling tide, so the water will be higher and the banks more accessible.

A wide river, with lots of long straight reaches where traffic can practicably be separated. From Whitlingham Bend to Postwick Grove is a full length rowing course, the same as the one at Henley!

And don't forget the Wherryman's Way footpath.

I still don't like the swimming idea very much but doesn't this location look a lot more possible - and a lot safer?

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

I had thought about that but I fear that such places, like Gt Hoveton, would be too shallow, muddy and weed-grown to be safe to swim in. And again, no spectator access. At least Whitlingham, as a gravel pit, has deep clear water!

And all the safety facilities they would need as in rescue boats and direct access for emergency vehicles that hopefully wouldn't be required but require thinking about .

The biggest plus is for the spectator's , in that respect its by far the best place , goodness knows with all the confections they have with it why BA didn't suggest it in the first place .

As for tourism I can't see it making any difference at all even if it all goes to plan , however I can see it making a massive difference if it doesn't BA could end up regretting this decision in a very big way , that's if a decision has been made all , looking at the swim website last night gives clear indication that the even is on but you can only register an interest in swimming in it you are not entered as the organiser's will contact you further in doing do presumably when they know how Many entrants there are hence I doubt any safety coverage has been finalised either , basically we are testing the water ( no pun intended ) but we will say its on anyway even if it might be scrapped if not enough interest .

27 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

You know, the more I think about this, I think the event could be held on the upper Yare from Trowse Eye to Surlingham Ferry, and it may not be too late to change the venue.

There is public access all down that bank as far as Whitlingham bend, to watch the start.

There are several places such as the Commissioner's Cut, and Whitlingham marsh on the north bank, and also lots of public space at the Woods End.

The race would be held on a falling tide, so the water will be higher and the banks more accessible.

A wide river, with lots of long straight reaches where traffic can practicably be separated. From Whitlingham Bend to Postwick Grove is a full length rowing course, the same as the one at Henley!

I still don't like the swimming idea very much but doesn't this location look a lot more possible - and a lot safer?

Agreed if it simply has to be a river then that's a far better option and much more appropriate and safe + its used yr in yr out for rowing race of around 500 boats so has a history of Large events  . how is it BA don't come up with these places when discussing venue's or was WRC to beccles the only one that the organisers were interested in ? 

Me I'll just disappear to beccles for the weekend :15_yum:

Oh n Don't forgot the big hospitality tent at Thorpe for the after party ( too soon ? ) 

1 hour ago, Bound2Please said:

Vaughan dont get me wrong here, I have nothing against any commercial operation making morning out of what ever. I wish them all good luck, what did niggle me and still does this event organisers trying to put it over as though it was just for fun. When they had registered a LTD company for this event, I have no qualms about any one making money good luck I say to James, he hasnt tried to hide from any financial gain he may or may not make.

Back to this so called race, on safety grounds this is utterly the wrong place to be holding it, there are plenty of private broads etc they could have hired without boats and anglers to negotiate, but no this would have eroded the organisers profits hence lets use the river at zero costs.

Also I for the life of me cant see how this will increase Norfolk tourism in the slightest very few people will get to see it any way.

I really don't see how this is a spectator event. since the start is staggered (slowest first I believe) it is not as though the first one to the finish line is the winner, so all there is to see will be 200 people getting out of the water.

This event is mostly for the benefit of the organisers and participants.  

24 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Well the river is nearly 10m wider generally than the waveney, its the section above Brundall, there is the freedom boat yard, but road access for emergency services is better, if the date is fixed they could run it in the opposite direction to tie in with the tides.

Vaughan I think you have hit the jackpot for locations, that extra 10m width makes all the difference to separating the swimmers and boats, and as you say, spectator access too. As there are no longer coasters heading up to Norwich, thats not an issue either.

• Thanks 2

As Grendel says, if the date is fixed, then it would have to be the other way, on the rising tide but ideally, it would be a better swim downstream on the ebb, when the water is higher.

Incidentally the ebb on the Yare is a lot stronger than the flood, as there is a constant flow downstream from the headwaters of the two rivers, Yare and Wensum.

Trowse Eye is where the two rivers join and the BA have moorings there which give access to their facilities at the leisure centre, so it would be an obvious place to get everyone gathered and organised before the start. You could also drive from the start to the finish without having to go to Norwich or Reedham to cross the river.

I don't think starting in Norwich itself would be a good idea!

Edited to add that there is also a rowing club at Trowse, where the swimmers can get in the water.

Edited by Vaughan
line added