So You Can Go Swimming!

JennyMorgan

2 minutes ago, Selsie said:

With no insurance or registration or test or ' road sense' most of the time. I'm not anti cyclist, I'm anti cyclists that believe they own the highway whem the decide to hold a road race on the active A14 in the middle of the summer.

Does my cycling proficiency test from the 70s count ? Oh loads of road sense too :default_beerchug:

6 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

Does my cycling proficiency test from the 70s count ? Oh loads of road sense too :default_beerchug:

Indeed it does and your road sense, it is as i said the mass of riders that forge off down public roads riding 5-a-breast across the carriageway with no regard for anyone. Cycling should be safe and fun not dangerous.  

2 minutes ago, donnygeoff said:

cyclists are not a problem compared to mobility scooters.......

There you go, two new freds needed.....

:default_coat:

Leave it out that gonna be my upgrade in a few yrs , V8 powered obviously :15_yum:

4 minutes ago, Wyndham said:

Very wise Grendel. "Lycra" is not the defining factor between idiot cyclists and sensible cyclists.

true, but I'll always prefer 'the Green goddess' to Sir Bradley wiggins in a Lycra contest

25 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

I have just had a giggle remembering my cycling proficiency in my school playground.

We went one at a time down the playground with the instructor shouting "STOP" to test our emergency braking...

I set off towards the wall at the bottom of the playground, he shouted "STOP" I stopped, came back...

As I was going back to the start, he set off another lad on his journey down hill towards the wall...

When I got back I asked the instructor how I had done, he turned to me and said I had done fine....

CRASH

Yup, you guessed, the other lad kept going because the instructor did not shout "STOP".....

:default_beerchug:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

So now it's novice hirers eh?

Maybe we should stop them helming past moorings in case someone falls off a boat in front of them and they run them over. How about the water skiiers on the Waveney and Yare, highly dangerous as well obviously. 

Horning regatta will have to be cancelled as well. It's the novice hirers you see.

What about the three rivers? Who on earth would allow a race like that to take place when there are novices out and about on the network. It's madness you know!!!

Maybe we should stop the novices completely. They could be spoiling your enjoyment of your boat after all. 

Sometimes I wonder.... :default_gbxhmm:

Oh by the way, don't dare to capsize your sailing dinghy during one of these events, you could be deemed a swimmer and you won't know what hit you!

Alternatively you could always have rescue boats/support vessels policing such events and advising boaters accordingly as happens at Horning and 3RR.

181,384 people were injured on our roads in 2016 (1792 fatally) yet we think nothing of travelling to work, shopping, the boat or whatever. 

What I find a shame is that this forum couldn't have put it's collective minds together and come up with a way to make such an event work rather than putting so much effort into stopping it.

And finally I apologise for the above. Today has not been a good day.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, JanetAnne said:

What I find a shame is that this forum couldn't have put it's collective minds together and come up with a way to make such an event work rather than putting so much effort into stopping it.

There was a very good suggestion from Vaughan of using whitlingham country park great broad , this forum can't stop this event , however they can express as they have done their feelings about it , the stretch of river chosen is not in my mind and plenty of other peoples a safe place to conduct this swim on less the navigation is closed to other traffic and given that it is now known this is a commercial venture then a closure to those who pay tolls and some of whom are on holiday is really not on given that there are alternative sites available  , no one wants to see or hear of a tragedy .

Onwards and upwards and hope yiu have a better day tomorrow .

add inexperienced boaters  who have never come across a large group  of people  in the water.It could go very wrong.

And what about 'Experienced' helms come to that?  I can't ever remember facing that amount of swimmers in the water on a river at anyone time ever.  Maybe the odd few now and again in Malthouse or Barton  (On the way down to Coltishall springs to mind but they are always over to one side)   I certainly would not relish coming round a bend in t river to be faced with that lot coming at me from opposite direction.  As for hugging the bank?  I'd probably head straight up it!

Griff

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Londonlad1985 said:

Notting Hill Carnival bans parking, and prevents a swathe of West London from taking their vehicles in or out of an area for 3 days on safety grounds, and it happens every year. It's the best free day out you can have in London IMHO.

The Olympic torch relay had a rolling closure with vehicles and marshalls ahead and behind the torch group. Could this be arranged for swimmers do you think? 

Neither of which are private money making exercise's are they ?, maybe charitable  but not Limited company's. If the £14K was all going to charity I would be all in favour, but for a Limited Company lining the directors pockets.

• Like 2