Pilot

Betty1

1 hour ago, CambridgeCabby said:

If the boat you’re buying is as your avatar you will have no problems (subject to clearance) , just ensure you’re lined up with the keystone and keep a straight course .

I love that reply :default_biggrin:

...."you will have no problems"

"Just ensure you're lined up ....and keep a straight course".....that IS the problem. :default_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Wyndham said:
1 hour ago, CambridgeCabby said:

If the boat you’re buying is as your avatar you will have no problems (subject to clearance) , just ensure you’re lined up with the keystone and keep a straight course .

I love that reply :default_biggrin:

...."you will have no problems"

"Just ensure you're lined up ....and keep a straight course".....that IS the problem. :default_biggrin:

All the same, the Solar 37 was designed to be a Broads boat which will pass under all the bridges. I fear though, that average water levels on the Broads may have changed since the early 70s. If you do not actually take the pilot, it is well worth stopping in to ask their advice as to the state of the tide.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, socrates said:

There was a chap  last year who was offering to take private boats through Wroxham Bridge, his name was David and he lived on a boat in the Wroxham area. We were going to take him up on his offer but did not end up going to the north rivers. 

Isn't that the guy that runs the horning ferry , that said I seam to remember a certain Mr Child's said would take private boats through wroxham bridge too .

If I'm about, I'll take you through, then give you some advice, sit on your shoulder while you take her through.  Once you have done it once, know your boat, how she handles, got an accurate measurement of your boats headroom, then it's a breeze and you wonder what all the fuss was about.  Having said that even now when I take 'B.A' through PHB I am far from blasé about it and it's a relief when completed

Griff

• Like 2

One year we got stuck the wrong side of Wroxham bridge due to someone opening the sluice gates above Coltishall - or so I was told at the time. We spent a couple of days wondering if we could manage it at 6’6”. We eventually phoned the pilot who, at that time, was at Barnes, for advice and they were extremely helpful. And, yes, we did get through by about a half inch!!

3 minutes ago, psychicsurveyor said:

Same reason people originally climbed Everest,  to see if it can be done :default_biggrin:

Does that mean it had to be done? I was asking why someone had to go through the Wroxham Bridge backwards. What conditions would make it necessary to go through Wroxham Bridge backwards?

I am interested to know.

16 minutes ago, psychicsurveyor said:

Same reason people originally climbed Everest,  to see if it can be done :default_biggrin:

Ha if that was the reason for going through  backwards I'm the queen of Sheba + accidents happen and if I were entrusting my boat to another I certainly want to know they were insured  to do so and had some credentials to do so , taking chances is fine but sooner or later your luck ( or talant )  runs out  .

24 minutes ago, socrates said:

Does that mean it had to be done? I was asking why someone had to go through the Wroxham Bridge backwards. What conditions would make it necessary to go through Wroxham Bridge backwards?

I am interested to know.

As I understand, no, it didn't have to be done, neither WB backwards or Everest. The conditions for both were human curiosity.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, socrates said:

I am interested to know.

It basically means that they have eyes in the back of their head, or I think on this occasion, BA had a problem with her gearbox at the time and could only use reverse. So Griff had to step up to the task to get the girl home.

Hopefully that answers your question.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, KaptinKev said:

It basically means that they have eyes in the back of their head, or I think on this occasion, BA had a problem with her gearbox at the time and could only use reverse. So Griff had to step up to the task to get the girl home.

Hopefully that answers your question.

Well it would do if that was the real reason for going through backwards which it wasn't ! 

5 minutes ago, KaptinKev said:

Don't you think I know that!

I would hope you did but you did come up with quite a different reason for the event, if we stick to the facts everyone will know the facts will they not ! 

1 minute ago, Ricardo said:

I would hope you did but you did come up with quite a different reason for the event, if we stick to the facts everyone will know the facts will they not ! 

If you want to stick to the facts, Griff wanted to show off. He has the boat and the skill, so with youtube about, why not have a bit of fun with it and look at me. I'm sure that is what youtube is about nowadays.